Profile for DerbyRob > Reviews

Content by DerbyRob

DerbyRob

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke (A Doubleday Anchor book)
The Collected Poems of Theodore Roethke (A Doubleday Anchor book)
by Theodore Roethke

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 11 Jun 2013
I wanted to find more Roethke poems after reading 'My Papa's Waltz'. This book goes well with bourbon and a Mark Lanegan album or a bit of jazz if that's your thing. Cultured writing from one of the most important poets of the Twentieth Century, in my view.

5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml
5 Star Air Duster Can HFC Free Compressed Gas Flammable 400ml
Price: 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 11 Jun 2013
I used this to clean up my laptop keyboard which had become something of a disgrace in terms of crumbs etc. It cleaned it up very easily and the laptop is now as good as new!

Spokey Joe Bugle Bulb Horn
Spokey Joe Bugle Bulb Horn
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality than the cheaper purchases, 17 May 2013
This seems to be more robust than the cheaper one that I bought, which wore out after a few honks. It seems quite well made and is a good price for what it is. Happy customer.

Junior Children's Latex Swimming Cap - Fluo Green
Junior Children's Latex Swimming Cap - Fluo Green
Offered by notonlybowls
Price: 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and has lasted well, 17 May 2013
I have been really impressed with Zoggs as a brand. This swimming cap is a great bright colour and has lasted really well!

Farah Vintage The Drifter Men's Shirt Dark Indigo Medium
Farah Vintage The Drifter Men's Shirt Dark Indigo Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Retro classic!, 17 May 2013
Great style and lovely slim fit. This is a retro winner and in my head, I am Jack Kerouac from the Beat Generation when I wear this! Great quality and really smart.

Quality Rubber Thimblette Size 1 Blue Ref 265486 [Pack 10]
Quality Rubber Thimblette Size 1 Blue Ref 265486 [Pack 10]
Offered by Fuzion
Price: 4.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 May 2013
I use these all the time and it is irritating when I have to buy a set of different sizes from highstreet stationery stores. This represents good value for money and by buying in bulk, it reduces the chances of me having to worry about losing them all the time in various pockets!

Genuine Flymo Disc and Plastic Lawnmower Blade Set FLY052
Genuine Flymo Disc and Plastic Lawnmower Blade Set FLY052
Offered by Small Engine Services
Price: 8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin..., 13 May 2013
Good quality product; easy to fit, sturdy and straight forward. This brings new life to a flymo that had hit too many stones over the years! Recommended.

Old Grand-Dad 43% Bourbon Whiskey
Old Grand-Dad 43% Bourbon Whiskey
Offered by WhiskyXXL
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying a little extra for, 13 May 2013
I received this as a birthday gift and would recommend this as a really smooth bourbon. I have become a huge fan ever since discovering it on my travels around the States. It really evokes a nostalgic feel for an American 'frontier spirit'. A glass of this, a Mark Lanegan album playing in the background and a nice comfy armchair to lounge in and I'm in heaven as I steal a moment of calm in the mad pace of everyday life!

Kikujiro [DVD]
Kikujiro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takeshi Kitano
Price: 8.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Kikujiro is a masterpiece with a few major flaws, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Kikujiro [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, I know what I am going to be getting with Beat Takeshi: inspired film-making, sweeping musical scores, wonderful cinematography and most importantly, scenes of genuine originality and brilliance. Nor am I naive enough not to expect the occasional moment of 'ultra-violence'! As many other reviews have stated, I agree that the second-half of this flawed masterpiece is brilliant and there are three stand-out moments: 'octopus man', 'the bus-stop scene and the white stick' and, perhaps most challenging to my moral scruples, 'the nail on the road scene'. The latter illustrates the reason for writing this review:
i.) I understand that Takeshi has produced some VERY violent films completely unsuitable for children.
ii.) I also appreciate the line between what is funny in fiction and what is extremely serious were it to happen in real life. Therefore, my 'nail' example had me in stitches, though I obviously wouldn't recommend youngsters try it at home! I get this fundamental point about movie-making and the tired argument over censorship completely.

However, my MAJOR issue with this film is the fact that it was billed as a '12' and represents Takeshi's attempts to produce a more mainstream, dare I say it 'family' film. Therefore, I watched it with the primary intention of considering whether I could introduce my young son to the wonderful world of foreign film - he loves 'Spirited Away' for example and I was considering showing him the work of this multi-talented actor, capable of great comedy, slap-stick humour reminiscent of the Marx Brothers and lovely idiosyncrasies like the twitch and blink moment of awkwardness which in many ways represents Kitano's signature. Why, then, did Takeshi need to include the scene with 'the scary man'? The dream sequence, fine, the 'don't go off with strangers', I can accept, but the 'park at night' scene which is returned to three times within a few minutes was extremely distasteful and ruined the overall feel of the film for me.

This is a real pity because although I was prepared to watch the film to its conclusion knowing that he would ultimately redeem himself for this faux pas, for my wife, it was her introduction to the genius of Kitano and sadly, as a result of this ill-advised inclusion (he edited it, afterall, so must accept responsibility for what made the 'final cut'), it will be her last, as she left the room. The scene added nothing to the narrative and some would argue, it was 'played for laughs'. Perhaps, it was to illustrate how Kikujiro's carelessness might lead to dire consequences, but his 'wait here a moment' to the child, continued throughout the film!

Ironically, this 'flaw' represents a major theme of the film: life can be cruel, unfair and extremely harsh; loneliness has to be expected on occasions as Kikujiro is ultimately an isolated, frustrated 'manchild' who embarks on a journey to friendship for a 'lost' child. At times, this is poignant and the musical score is amazing to increase the bitter-sweet tone.

Overall, this might have been brilliant - but like life itself perhaps, one rash moment can spoil a lifetime of merit.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Hosoda
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 19 April 2013
For the low cost, I was worried that this would be average at best; the main reason I bought it was because I wanted a Manga film dubbed into English so that my young son wouldn't have to worry about reading the subtitles. Within the first five minutes, I wondered whether I had made a mistake after one of the characters mentioned 'jerked' as an inappropriate verb! However, after that minor glitch, the film was truly brilliant! My son loved it and I did too. The cover reveals a little of the plot and it is genuinely moving. The animation is incredible and there are some 'camera-shots' that I have not seen before (an amazing running sequence filmed like a tracking shot in which the dolly-camera can't keep up with the runner, then goes too far ahead...). In other words, the framing is masterful. This would make an incredible film - it reminded me a little of 'Open Your Eyes' which was made into 'Vanilla Sky'; however the plot is more PG and the school-setting is of interest to youngsters. When I watched trailers on the DVD of other films, none came close to this masterpiece. I would have liked some bonus-material, but the film itself is five stars. Really good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7