Profile for R. D. Barnes > Reviews

Content by R. D. Barnes

R. D. Barnes

Page: 1 | 2
Ga Gadgets BLACK Portable Metal (with metal blade) USB Retro Desk Fan for PC , Laptop ,Ultrabook, Chromebook, Apple Macbook , iMac
Offered by Laptop Kit UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small fan, 3 Mar 2014
Had this at work for a while now. Almost completely silent, but still produces enough of a breeze to be noticeably cooling. Works off any USB. I've been using it on and off for about 2 years with no problems.

The Asteroids Are Coming!
The Asteroids Are Coming!

2.0 out of 5 stars Harmless, but lacking in gameplay, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Asteroids Are Coming! (App)
You tap the screen...and you tap it some more. Played through a few levels, got some upgrades, and...yeah. All the strategy I could find was in trying to hit multiple asteroids at once, but that seemed about it. I don't like giving a bad review to something I got for free on app of the day, and there is nothing offensive about it, but there really isn't much doing here.

Angry Birds Star Wars II
Angry Birds Star Wars II

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Angry Birds..., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Angry Birds Star Wars II (App)
A really nice game. I've played a lot of Angry Birds, across most of the different variations, and it's nice they are keeping it fresh. What really works well is the sheer variety of different characters - a bit like the Lego Star Wars games. The pay to play element is totally optional, and I am well through 3-starring it all without spending anything (although I may splash on a small purchase to show appreciation).
Not the greatest game of all time, but a very solid addition to the Angry Birds line.

Star Command
Star Command

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, just really short, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Star Command (App)
A really nice little strategy game. The combat works well, and the missions are quite varied. The story even goes a bit further than I expected.
Only problems:
1. No instructions, so unless you Google you will do some stupid stuff to begin with.
2. Length. I finished the game in 2 hours 40 minutes. You just get the hang of it and it stops.

I am being really harsh, this could nearly be a 5 star game, but it's just not quite a whole game right now.

Flick Golf
Flick Golf

5.0 out of 5 stars Great score attack sports game, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Flick Golf (App)
This is a great game. If you like sports games its well worth buying. It has the most important element of a score attack game - just when it seems impossible you find a way to get better.
Graphics are also fantastic, even when running on a phone.
Only thing I will say is it is hard. You will find lots of balls perched on the edge of the cup without dropping. I'm still making progress, but it might be easier to play on a tablet.

Stick Cricket Premier League
Stick Cricket Premier League

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun - a mini-career for stick cricket, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Stick Cricket Premier League (App)
Its basically the original game, but over 5 seasons, where you play 8-10 matches. Good fun, and the star players work quite well.

Three things stop it getting 5 stars:
- Could maybe have done a bit more to differentiate it from original Stick Cricket.
- Game design needs a bit of work. I have played the original stick cricket a lot, but never finished it. Basically the game goes from hard to easy too quickly. By season 4 & 5 it was far too easy (other than the final). Many matches were just a waste of time, chasing down 100-ish runs in 10 overs,
- Game design also needs some work to prolong the career. If you want to play again after your 5 seasons, it wipes everything you have done, and you just start again.

Bodymax Standard Hammertone Weight Plates - 2 x 10kg
Bodymax Standard Hammertone Weight Plates - 2 x 10kg
Offered by Powerhouse Fitness

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent weights, 11 Jun 2013
Good quality lumps of metal. Look OK, are heavy, never had a problem with cracks or chips.

Only thing I would say is that the manufacturing quality is a bit variable in terms of how much weight you get. You could easily find one plate is 0.5kg heavier than the other. Of course usually you can correct judging by eye, but its something to be aware of. (Equally, I am not sure if you buy expensive weights they are actually much better.)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A minor effect, 11 Jun 2013
Got this as a bit of a vanity purchase before a wedding. First point is I hadn't lost a lot of hair. My hair was thinner than it used to be on top and had receded a little at the front, but I basically still had a full head of just slightly thinner hair (no bald spot etc.).

Part of the problem is using the product coincided with a new hairdresser who left it a bit longer on top. Still, I think I notice a little regrowth of the widow's peak, and a little more fullness to the hair.

If you have minor hair loss, I would call this a luxury product. If you have more serious hair loss, maybe read a different review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzle/RPG hybrid, 28 May 2013
This review is from: 10000000 (App)
Great fun game, perfect for mobile. Like a high speed, stripped down puzzle quest, you slowly develop your character.

I got it as a free app of the day, but would certainly consider paying for it.

Only thing wrong I can find is that there was no obvious instructions. Also the game doesn't develop as much as maybe it could, in terms of things that affect the board.

Overall though a big thumbs up, have played it a lot.

Voxel Invaders
Voxel Invaders

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, maybe not perfect for mobile, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Voxel Invaders (App)
I played through this on easy until I beat the first boss. Its fun and looks pretty, but looks a bit limited. The enemies don't do much (so far). I can also see the lack of fine control with touch controls being a big problem.

Ideally I would have played through more levels, and maybe found some more interesting bad guys. This is my honest impression after a 30 minute bash, and that seems good enough unless anyone wants to pay me for reviews :)

Page: 1 | 2