Profile for Marcus Paine > Reviews

Kill Decision
Kill Decision
by Daniel Suarez
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and gripping story about how intelligent, independent, purpose driven robots might develop, 20 Nov 2014
This is an excellent book. If you see Daniel Suarez on TED talks you'll realise that he knows what he is talking about and is passionate about the dangers of runaway technology, in particular robot systems that act without human instruction. This is a fictional book about it could happen.

It is a rollicking ride, the story gripping and enough technical description to make it believable for me as an interested and intelligent, but not a sophisticated IT specialist.

I really enjoyed the book.The only reason I gave it 4 rather than five is that the emotional interactions are a bit wooden and some of the characters a bit stereotypical. However the plot is well developed and maintains interest to the last.

If you're interested in robots and how intelligent, purpose driven entities might develop then this is a fascinating contribution to that subject.

The Thin Woman's Brain: Rewiring the Brain for Permanent Weight Loss
The Thin Woman's Brain: Rewiring the Brain for Permanent Weight Loss
by Dilia Suriel
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Men, just as well as women, will benefit hugely from this approach., 30 Oct 2014
I've read the book once and I'm now reading it again. It's so good I spent lunch time with my dad (age 80) explaining why we only had to eat as many whitebait as we enjoyed and could then leave the rest. He thought it most amusing, and if you'd told me that I would say this to my dad at any time in the previous 50 years of my life you'd laugh at me too.

It's been 7 weeks since I started, running in parallel with more exercise and working with a personal trainer. I've lost about 18 lbs, I'm probably still 45 lbs overweight, I feel very positive and quite calm about moving forward.

The book is very clear, very well researched and strongly expressed. It is dense and focused, but for many of us who have yoyo'd between various weights and tried everything, then its never going to be easy, is it?

I've been given some clear sensible guidance by my personal trainer as to what to eat, but this book and its approach is helping me to completely re-shape how I'm eating, why I'm eating, how much I eat and when I eat. It is a huge educational process and for me it involves reprogramming decades of unhelpful OS which either came with my brain or my parents unwittingly programmed in afterwards.

Speaking as a Englishman, the language is clearly aimed at overweight American women, which has required some filtering, but the arguments presented still apply 90% of the time and I would heartily recommend to men as well as women.

Good luck.

Robogenesis (Robo 2)
Robogenesis (Robo 2)
by Daniel H. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brutal and brilliant read., 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Robogenesis (Robo 2) (Paperback)
This is another brutal and brilliant read. The stories moves forward at breakneck speed. It is never predictable, comfortable or dull.

The first book - Robopocalypse - and this sequel didn't disappoint. I can't wait for the next one.

Blamestorming: Why Conversations Go Wrong and How to Fix Them
Blamestorming: Why Conversations Go Wrong and How to Fix Them
by Rob Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Curious about Conversations, 7 Oct 2014
This is a very useful book and written in a style that allows you to pick it up and read any of the 21 chapters on their own in 10 minutes.

We're introduced to a number of different characters, all with different life situations and the author then runs through various typical ways that conversations can, and too often do, go wrong. It is a wonderfully practical way of looking at interrupting "bad practices" in communication, so that bad conversations don't lead to bad relationships.

There is very little of this kind of book available out there at the moment that I've been able to find. I thought I was a good communicator, but right from the opening chapter "be curious", it made me think again and re-examine the conversations I have at work, at home, with my wife and my children.

I think it is an excellent book to read and go back to.

Mattress Actress
Mattress Actress
by Ms Annika Cleeve

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Story of a Strong Woman Building a Good Life from Difficult Beginnings, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Mattress Actress (Paperback)
I’ve just finished reading this book. I’m a 53 year old man with 3 kids living in England.
At the beginning I was horrified by the lack of love, trust and affection that is described and the prevalence of this among the other working girls in the story. It is truly horrifying, the idea that after the work Annika put in for her family, that her own parents would not trust her. I cannot imagine what that would be like.

The determination at a young age was astonishing. It clearly lead to a very risky route, because the impression I got was that Annika could easily have been killed on 3 or more occasions. She is perhaps smarter than most, but also very lucky. As are we, because had she been killed, it would have been one more statistic instead of this excellent book.
(NB I’d highly recommend Wasted by Marya Hornbacher which is an excellent book about bulimia, anorexia and later mental illness. She is another strong woman who has come through a very difficult life and now creates wonderful writing. Her later books are great to, but its best to read them in order.)

Toward the end of the book I was thinking (with the author in the narrative) about the difficulty of getting out of the life she is stuck in and into a “normal” (what is normal – really!) relationship.

She faced the hypocrisy of men around desiring sex, someone to play to act, to be available, but at the same time thinking it is indecent and unacceptable. I think that our society in which long term monogamous relationships serve as secure bases for growing families, has built up mores around promiscuous single women, that they are dangerous. It’s easy to see the logic of this: disease, “fatherless” children and jealousy to name a few reasons.

But as hinted in the later parts of the book, better health control, better contraception and stronger protection for women’s rights have removed a number of the issues. That of sex-less marriages is a bigger problem and one people find hard to address as you point out in your great “dialogue on the doorstep” with "Stuart’s" wife.

Getting out of “the game” and living a “normal” life must have required immense courage from you and your husband. I’m very pleased Annika made it work as was able to write this book.

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent well made British Earphones, 30 Aug 2014
I've tried many different ear phones and found that many of them including Beats (in ear) and other big names will fail in the microphone area becoming glitchy and squealing as the connections fail with daily usage after about 3 months.

These have very good 90 degree plug and very solid fittings, with good sound. Cable is a little longer than I would like, but then I guess that's a preference of mine.

Still going well after 6 months

Kamor® 13 13.3 14 inch Water-resistant Neoprene Laptop Sleeve Case Bag/ Notebook Computer Case / Briefcase Carrying Bag / Ultrabook Laptop Tablet Bag Case / Pouch Cover / Skin Cover with 5.5mm thickness for Acer/Asus/Dell/Fujitsu/Lenovo/HP/Samsung/Sony/Toshiba especially for teens/men/women/ladies/girls design (Black)
Offered by YoSpace.U

Spin
Spin
by Robert Charles Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Spin (Mass Market Paperback)
Classic big story sci fi as could have been written 20 years ago.

Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Hiking Shoes J86267 Dusty Olive 10.5 UK
Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Hiking Shoes J86267 Dusty Olive 10.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous go anywhere shoes, 30 Aug 2014
These are so comfortable and, for wider feet, pull together around your foot rather than feeling like you are rammed into a narrow frame which many walking shoes have these days. The sole is very comfortable for me and I'm well over 110 kgs.

I really love them.

The sizing came up a little small, so after buying a UK 10 (my normal size) I had to exchange for 10.5 which now fit perfectly, so buy 1/2 a size up from your normal fit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3