Profile for Marque Pierre Sondergaard > Reviews

Content by Marque Pierre ...

Marque Pierre Sondergaard (London, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Note 3
Note 3

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely piece of kit!, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Note 3 (Wireless Phone)
Powerful, full of features and a screen (size, clarity and colours) that just blows you away. Turns out, after about 10 minutes with this beauty, everything else seems so ridiculously small. My daughter's iPod seems but a stamp. Not cumbersome in the least. I love how slim the device is. It fits perfectly into the inside breast pocket of a suit, without ever pulling your jacket out of shape.

Abusive Relationships
Abusive Relationships
by Mrs Valerie Widmann

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough primer on abuse, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Abusive Relationships (Paperback)
Valerie Widmann carefully and tenderly covers all angles of abusive behaviour. For someone in an abusive relationship, or someone who fears for someone in an abusive relationship, this is a very good starting point for understanding your situation and working towards a solution. I was particularly impressed with how many different forms of abuse are covered and how practical and down to earth the advice is.

A Realistic Guide to Getting and Keeping that Man!
A Realistic Guide to Getting and Keeping that Man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth your time!, 23 Jan. 2014
Following up on A Simple Guide to Your Dating Dilemma, Valerie Widmann peers into the engine room of what makes up attraction for men. The book is full of practical suggestions and advice that any woman would benefit greatly from trying or implementing, whether she is in a relationship and working to get one.

A simple guide to your dating dilemma
A simple guide to your dating dilemma

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 24 Dec. 2013
A thoroughly entertaining and very personal romp through some of the issues plaguing modern singles. For Valerie's sophomore effort, it would be interesting to hear her experiences and opinions focusing on attracting the fairer sex.

APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book
APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further!, 15 Dec. 2012
Want to write a book? Want people to read it?

This is it then.

Guy and Shawn have simply produced a brilliant book. Not only do they manage to relay (at times) fairly technical and conflicting information of the publishing world - but APE is such a delight. Guy's inimitable light and humorous style both makes his books entertaining page-turners as well as giving daunting topics a much more approachable feel.

Without going into great detail on the contents, I will say that the chapter on "Self-Publishing Issues", where all the potential mistakes the rookie self-publisher can make, is well worth the cover price alone.

Ever since discovering the magic of books, I have personally dreamt of writing and publishing my own. I leapt at APE, hoping it could prove to be a major stepping stone to fulfilling this goal. It certainly delivered. I feel fully equipped to confidently take on this challenge in the coming year.

Art of "Toy Story 3"
Art of "Toy Story 3"
by Charles Solomon

5.0 out of 5 stars Very generous, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Art of "Toy Story 3" (Hardcover)
As an avid Pixar and animation fan, I collect all the "The Art of..." books on Pixar films.

This is my favourite so far. Not only does it take you through every stage of production of Toy Story 3 with generous helpings of concept art and other behind the scenes art goodies, but the book is also a mini education in putting together a Pixar grade blockbuster.

You buy these books to get the parade of great concept art, a few behind the scenes anecdotes and perhaps a bit of what was left on the cutting room floor. All wonderful, but The Art of Toy Story 3 generously gives so much more beyond those expectations.

Photoshop for 3D Artists: Volume 1
Photoshop for 3D Artists: Volume 1
by 3DTotal

4.0 out of 5 stars A fair tour of Photoshop's many usages for a 3D artist, 1 Oct. 2011
I enjoyed this recent overview of Photoshop's many excellent tools in different stages of a VFX or games pipeline.

I found the tutorials legible and interesting; You could tell that they were written by seasoned professionals and grounded in production experience.

I had 2 minor gripes with this book:

As a texture artist, I would like to have seen more chapters/projects focusing on proper texturing - not 3D paintovers. 3 3D paintover projects were more than enough, particularly since there are only 2 texturing proper projects/chapters (I am not counting the 2 complete projects, of which one only mentions texturing in passing). The 2 chapters/projects with a focus on 3D texturing focuses each on hard surface texturing or organic texturing. The hard surface texturing project was quite basic - as I am sure it was meant as an introduction to texturing as such. The organic/character texturing chapter used a model (as seen on the cover), which apart from the UV layout of the mesh, I would argue has more in common with the techniques you use in hard surface texturing. They are both good chapters, but there is still so much more to cover on texturing both hard surfaces and organic surfaces, that I would argue you could have cut down on the 3D paintovers and spent a bit more time on texturing. But, hey I am a texture artist, so of course I am biased.

The second gripe I have is that the meshes/models for the texturing chapters are not included. That is just poor. If I don't have the models as well, then including the textures in 2D form will not show me as much as I'd like. This cannot be a case of space constraints as all files are downloaded from the web anyway.

In addition to the above, the book of course contains a plethora of techniques for concept artists and post production (the majority of the book really).

The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation
The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation
by John Canemaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and tragic, 3 May 2011
The book is a very well put together treasure trove for animation fans, graphic artists and lovers of Mary Blair's fine art.

John Canemaker knows what he is doing. Nothing new here. Just a very solid addition to an art or animation library.

Pentel Brush Pen, Black
Pentel Brush Pen, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 3 May 2011
Lovely brush. Very useful and very precise, so it takes a bit of practise to use. If your delicate handmovements match the abilities of the brush, you will have a great tool to work with for any number of uses.

Selling the Dream: Sales as Evangelism
Selling the Dream: Sales as Evangelism
by Guy Kawasaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't lost a step!, 8 Jun. 2010
I first read this book back in 1998 when I was heavily influenced by Guy's entrepreneurial Rules for Revolutionaries/Kick But campaign. I have since referred to it often for its sheer enthusiasm and many inspirational insights in different areas of business.

12 years later I find myself in charge of Imagination Technologies' developer programme POWERVR Insider - much the same function as Guy had in Apple when he gathered the experiences furnishing the pages of this book. With the professional insights and experiences of my position, I can testify, this book (still) rocks! Like everybody else I would love an updated version, but the old, worn and annotated one, never strays far from my desk - and for good reason: Guy's no-nonsense approach and the timeless principles of evangelism have been the cornerstone of so many, many success stories in my position.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5