Profile for Gimper > Reviews

Gimper

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Electric Toothbrush - White
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Electric Toothbrush - White

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll not repeat all the good things that many people have said on here, 11 Dec. 2015
I'll not repeat all the good things that many people have said on here, as on the whole this is a very good toothbrush with great noticeable results. However I would just like to point out that since purchasing this in December of 2013 I am about to receive my 2nd warranty replacement on the handle. The first replacement was March 2015 due to the on/off button becoming all squidgy and not turning the device on despite a full charge. I religiously dry the device after each use and never submerge it in water. Now in December 2015 I am returning that warranty replacement for another due to the exact same fault. Thankfully the initial device has a 2 year warranty and each subsequent warranty replacement has a year warranty (the Philips representative on Web Chat confirmed this and I have the proof :) ). Great customer care for keeping supplying replacements, but is there an inherent fault?

Cape Cod Polish 8821 Polishing Cloth
Cape Cod Polish 8821 Polishing Cloth
Offered by Widget Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Stainless Steel Apple Watch, 8 Aug. 2015
Purchased to remove some scratches from my ~4 month old Stainless Steel Apple Watch. With about 2 minutes effort, it removed every single scratch from the casing and it looks brand new. Very pleased.

Anker [3-Pack] Ultra Clear High Response HD Screen Protector for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inch) "XTREME Scratch Defender" [Lifetime Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good protector, 29 Oct. 2014
I've always had screen protectors on my iPhones. When I bought my iPhone 6 Plus I went looking for a decent screen protector. I own many Anker products so decided to give these protectors a try. It's a known fact that as the iPhone 6 and Plus have curved screens, so protectors only cover the width of the actual display. I have to say that this protector is superb. Cutouts are precise, it's very thin and easy to apply. There is a knack to applying these and I use a little trick to remove any dust that gets caught under the protector. Wrap some tape around your index fingertip, sticky side out. Then carefully lift the protector and dab away the offending dust. Works every time. So, in summary, these protectors are great... great fit, precision cutouts, and great price.

StarTech.com 4 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express Card with SATA Power
StarTech.com 4 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express Card with SATA Power

5.0 out of 5 stars Great low profile card, 7 Jun. 2014
I purchased this card to install into an HP Microserver N40L to provide USB3 capability. The fact it came with a low profile bracket was key. Also I have had very good experiences with other StarTech devices so knew I could trust them to deliver.

Card delivered promptly and well packaged. Replaced the normal bracket with the low profile bracket and installed into the Microserver without issue. I didn't attach the SATA power connector to the card as I only intend to run 3.5" externally powered USB3 drives from it.

Access to my external USB3 drives seems speedy using this card, and it does what I bought it to do. Great price too.

Although I don't think it's advertised on Amazon, this card supports UASP.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 7:26 PM GMT

WD 3 TB NAS Desktop Hard Disk Drive (Intellipower SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache) - 3.5 inch, Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drives, but packaging varies, 7 Jun. 2014
I bought 4 of these 3TB drives to replace some ageing 2TB seagate drives that had started to show issues after clocking up about 3 years of "Powered Up" time.

The drives were delivered promptly, but the packaging varied in quality. 2 drives were packaged in small boxes offering no real protection. The 2 other drives were packaged in larger boxes, with plastic inserts "suspending" the drive in the packaging, which is what I would have expected. All drives were sealed in anti-static bags.

I installed the drives in my HP MicroServer N40L running Windows Server 2012R2 and the drives were detected without issue. They are very quiet in operation and seem speedy. I've used Windows Storage Spaces to create 2 mirrored pairs offering ~6TB of usable storage. After a weeks use, I've used Powershell to check the disk stats and there doesn't appear to be any excessive "Load/Unload Cycles" which can affect some drives and is reported for the 4TB variant of this drive.

I registered the drives successfully with WD, although bizarrely the remaining warranty seems to vary between the drives despite entering the same purchase date for each drive. For example, 1 drive seems to have a full month more warranty than another.

All in all, great drives and a great price. Good peace of mind that these are certified to run 24/7 and have a decent warranty.

Lost a star due to the inconsistent packaging.

StarTech.com 2.5 inch Enclosure for USB 3.0 External SATA III Solid State Hard Drive - Aluminum

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice speed bump on iMac, 25 Feb. 2014
Bought several of these to make use of 2.5" HDDs and an SSD I had lying around, so I can add them to my iMac. Can certainly see a speed improvement over non-UASP enclosures, especially with an SSD installed.

Very happy.

PNY 128GB StorEDGE Flash Memory Expansion Module for 13 inch MacBook Air/MacBook Pro with Retina Display/Macbook Pro
Offered by M H TECHNOLOGIES

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 25 Feb. 2014
I have a 2012 13" Air and I've been trying to find a use for the SD Card slot, so this product was intriguing.
Ordered and delivered next day. Slotted it in and it mounted up, so I copied some files to it and it seemed speedy enough.
I had a "Scratch" folder on my internal storage, where I hold training movies and other stuff I'm not fussed about backing up as it's a local copy of stuff on my NAS. I've now moved this to the StorEDGE and it works a charm.

This comes formatted as FAT, which is a bit strange for a product marketed specifically for Mac. So I reformatted it as an OS X Journalled filesystem before using it in anger.

Tucano With Me Microfiber Sleeve for 13 inch MacBook Air and iPad 3 - Red
Tucano With Me Microfiber Sleeve for 13 inch MacBook Air and iPad 3 - Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good fit for the Air, 29 Mar. 2013
Bought this for my 2012 MacBook Air 13" i7/8GB/512GB. I have a Tucano Second Skin case for my MacBook Pro and love it. The quality of this case is the same level. However, the item I received was for the MacBook Pro 13" and as such not a good fit for the Air.

Returned.

Apple 3TB Time Capsule 4th Generation
Apple 3TB Time Capsule 4th Generation

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for backups and simple networks, 29 Mar. 2013
Reviewing this in the context of the 4 tasks this product is designed to do:

Time Machine Backups - Can't fault it. Macs see the Time Capsule as a Time Machine backup target and have no problem backing up to it. No way on the Time Capsule to limit the amount of total space backups are allowed to consume tho. This can be achieved other ways with a little fiddling and google is your friend. Left to its own devices, your backups will potentially eat all your disk space.

Wireless - Fantastic, especially the 5GHz facility. Greatly increases range and throughput. Facility to enable a guest network that can allow people to access the internet but not your attached machines. Note that if you configure the Time Capsule in "Bridge Mode", you lose this facility (for some reason)

Router - Works well, but limited tweakability. Some annoying things include no ability to disable DHCP and keep routing. I have another internal server running DHCP. To get around this, I set the TC DHCP to only dish out 2 addresses, and created DHCP reservations with "fake" MAC addresses so that they would never be issued. Another annoyance is that you cannot set the subnet mask for your internal network, and it insists on a 10 network having a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask!

File Sharing - Good but limited. Access to the whole device (the internal disk and disks attached via USB) can be limited by a password. Each disk can be limited by a password. Can create accounts and then access is controlled by these. Each account can see their own directory that is created automatically, and the rest of the drive. No granular control of permissions on a folder by folder basis.

So, on the whole it's good. However if you have a mac you can run as a server and plug external devices into, then the OS X server software is only 13.99 on the App Store. You can then share out locations on that machine to be Time Machine targets, and any shared folders have much better granular control of permissions

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace Of Mind, 29 Mar. 2013
Bought this for my 2012 MacBook Air 13" i7/8GB/512GB from Bargain Direct UK as it was much cheaper than Apple (149.99 as opposed to 199.99)

Adds 2 additional years support, which is the key thing to remember. It doesn't extend your original warranty by 3 years (so not 4 years in total)

So well worth the money for peace of mind if any issues happen with your Apple kit.

Seller was quick to respond to questions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3