Profile for Ben > Reviews

Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by SweetBuzzards

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, boring & predictible, 28 Mar. 2009
Still cannot get over the boredom that this movie inspired me. Why all the fuss I'm asking you??? So ok, 2 guys fall in love, allegedly cowboys, which is probably rather breathtaking news in the land of the Yanks. Point taken. Then, going through the usual traumas of life and well, life in gen eral, one of them dies. Fine. You go through the usual feelings of loss, bitterness, unfulfilled love and so on when one of the characters die. Ok... then what??? I'm asking you!!! What got the movie industry so excited about such a dull movie??? God knows...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2012 12:08 PM BST

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - Traitor
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order - Traitor
by Matthew Woodring Stover

5.0 out of 5 stars A Light in the Dark..., 9 Mar. 2007
The fairly good Enemy Lines 1 & 2 (the 2 previous NJO books before this one) were fully packed with space battles, lightsaber duels, star destroyers ramming worldships & so on... love it, but at times it gets a bit OTT (I don't think Lord Nyax brought much to the bigger picture of NJO).

So the more intimate approach of Traitor, fully focusing on Jacen's captivity and relationship with the ever mysterious Vergere got me a bit worried & excited at the same time. And God did Matthew Stover do well with it!

Part 1, mostly describing the Embrace of Pain that Jacen experiences, is slow... and painful indeed! But the stratagem is revealed when it all concludes with the near destruction of the Seedship's Nursery, in a glorious firework of gore, blood & guts from warriors, shapers & New Republic slaves alike. All of it orchestrated with somber grace by Jacen himself.

Trust me, trying to mentally visualise that very scene will send shivers up your spine (depends how much imagination you have though... I, for one, have a lot!). Take the best, darkest elements of Akira, Resident Evil, Event Horizon & Alien altogether, shake well and add a hint of the most gorish horror movies out there to see how sick it could look if someone was to ever produce an adult animated/film version of it. At last, Jacen comes of age...

The rest of the book tells the story of Anakin slowly coming back to Life (or does he?).

Slowly but surely, helped by the masterful "non-answers" of Vergere to his questions, the young Jedi's grasp of the true Nature of the Force is revealed to him...

Slowly but surely the shaping of Coruscant into Yuuzhan'tar, the new Yuuzhan Vong's Homeworld, is revealed in all its shining glory..

And slowly but surely the entire New Jedi Order series gets a welcome new breath of fresh air, definitely for the best...

I "hear" that later, after the conclusion of the New Jedi Order series and somwhere within the "Legacy of the Force" series, Jacen turns to the Dark Side and dons his own "Darth" title... I wonder how much of a role (if any) his life-changing experience on Yuuzhan'tar plays in such a fateful event... To be continued!

Dark Journey (Star Wars - New Jedi Order)
Dark Journey (Star Wars - New Jedi Order)
by Elaine Cunningham

1.0 out of 5 stars Weakest link by far... so far..., 27 Feb. 2007
A complete shocker! The narrative is all over the place, the character development is a parody of the usual high standards in the New Jedi Order, Jaina's so-called turn to the Dark Side is ridiculously brought on, Kyp's monologues with his Zero-One droid is a waste of paper, Jaina suddenly falling out with Jag Fel out of the blue is non-sense, and God, Anakin's funeral is an utter insult... errr... the Force itself! He really deserved a bit more than clumsy testimonials around his burning body, let alone the one from Anakin's look-alike child engineered by Viqi Shesh in the wonderful "Star by Star". What a load of crap, a complete disgrace!

Let's just hope hope that this will be the first and last contribution of Elaine Cunningham to the Starwars Universe...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 5:04 PM GMT

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Bless my girlfriend for getting me tone!, 15 Dec. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We all know how difficult it is to get your hands on this little thing. So bless my better half for getting me one for Xmas. She really had to play tough out there and use her entire network of friends & colleagues during the past 2 weeks. And she didn't even have to pay 350 odd quid on eBay, she p"only" paid the standard retail price with a second controller & nunchuk for free included! So anyway, that was for the little story.

My first game console was the Gameboy (the vintage original one). I must say I've always been more of a PC gamer, but I'm sooo glad I got the Wii. So yeah, it's technically behind the 360 & forthcoming PS3, but like so many already mentionned, Nintendo has always been about the gameplay first. And the Wii is just that: fun, fun & fun.

The controllers work like a charm, the internet connection settings are a piece of cake and well, Wii sports is great fun to play (favourite one is the tennis for me). Only regret: couldn't get my hands on Zelda just yet... but soon... very soon...

Under the Iron Sea
Under the Iron Sea
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Fully enjoyable, 5 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Under the Iron Sea (Audio CD)
Fact: you can't compare this album with the previous one! First thing that you notice one most tracks: the piano has been replaced by the synthesiser alright. So as far as I'm concerned it took me a few listenings before getting used to it because, let's face it, the piano was (and still is I reckon) Keane's trademark on their first album.

On this new album the melancholy is still here, but somewhat darker. The age of reason? Loss of Innocence? Maybe. Slowly but surely, as you plunge deeper and deeper into the album, you start to feel the same vibe again, that made everyone go mad for Keane's first album.

On one hand I feel like "Under the Iron Sea" isn't as good as "Hopes and Fears", but on the other I think these simply are 2 different albums that cannot be compared. Whilst I could easily pick 2 or 3 songs on "Hopes and Fears" that I would play in loop, I can't do the same with "Underneath...". Instead I just cruise through the entire album, or perhaps dive into it... All in all very suitable title for a very good album.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W70 Digital Camera - Silver (7.2 MP, 3x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera from Sony, 5 Sept. 2006
I've owned a Sony camcorder for the last 4 years and I'm delighted with it. With this camera it looks like Sony haven't let us down either.

The picture quality is great and the colours vivid for both indoor and outdoor shots. Its compact size makes it perfect for any occasion as it will fit effortlessly in your pocket. It's very easy to use and I've hardly had the need to look at the manual to be honest.

All in all great value for money and perfect for novice/average users. My only (very small) regret is that it uses Sony's own proprietary Memory Stick Pro Duo cards, which are slightly more expensive than the SD card format. Other than that, buy without fear!

JBL Ontour iPod Speaker System - White
JBL Ontour iPod Speaker System - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for both indoor & outdoor use!, 5 Sept. 2006
No I don't own an Ipod and still, I bought the speakers!

INDOOR:

To keep a long story short, having bought a projector back in June my friends and I decided to organise a viewing of one of the World Cup games on big screen. We had everything ready: the projector, the big large white wall, the food, the booze! But 2 days before the game the terrifying truth came to my mind: the built-in 1 watt mono-speaker would spoil the entire experience! No point in having a football game on big screen if the quality of the sound is as good as a voice on a mobile phone!

So there I was, on Amazon, deperate to find a solution. And the solution was these JBL speakers: They were simply perfect! The commentator's voice was crystal clear, the bass vibrations from the crowd was totally fit for purpose (aka about a dozen people in a 20sqm room) and God we just loved it!

OUTDOOR:

Music-wise, I took the speakers along to the Big Chill festival and they were loud enough for all of us gathered under our gazebo, whereas not so much that the neighbouring tents would have got annoyed with our late-night partying. So even in outdoor condition it's fully fit for purpose too.

CONCLUSION:

Great buy, great value for money. Full stop!

Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War (PC DVD)
Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars So many bugs, but still..., 5 Sept. 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Let's get the record straight: yes the Hero Command Mode is quite fun and yes the overall RTS side of the game is totally decent. But God, how frustrating it is to see your units being generated in the middle of a rock (litterally), totally incapable of moving an inch and try to salvage your walls on the edge of collapsing!

The most "hilarious" bug I faced was in one of the Alexander campaign's "Hero mode only" mission, where you're supposed to escort a fire raiser across a Persian city. I had to redo this one half a dozen times because the fire raiser (AI controlled/guided) suddenly stopped to move along it's pre-defined path, standing there like a sitting duck that the persian archers had no hesitation to destroy straight away! Having ran out of patience I ended up using the cheat code to go passed the mission.

So yes, it's a shame indeed that Stainless Steel Studios went bust before finishing the game, otherwise it would have been a 5 stars all the way through. But let's be fair, the game is still enjoyable and I'm that close to giving a go at the built-in editor for the fun of it.

Something In The Air
Something In The Air

1.0 out of 5 stars How more annoying can you get!, 5 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Something In The Air (Audio CD)
This tune has been hammered senseless on TV for months, thanks to (Carphone Warehouse) TalkTalk's sponsorship of Big "Bloody" Brother! I challenge any sensible person to dare admitting they can still listen to this song without going berserk! I know part of the proceeds of this single will go to the TreeHouse charity for children suffering of autism, but if you want my 2p advice: make a donation straight to them and spare your ears unnecessary pain!

Strings [2004] [DVD]
Strings [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anders Ronnow-Klarlund

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly innovative!, 28 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Strings [2004] [DVD] (DVD)
I truly think that this movie deserves much more than the 3 stars given by the sole review written so far!
Apart from the artistic "tour de force" performed by the producers (for puppets make quite a refreshing change from the usual 3D special effects - as good as they often are) you can feel that they spent time building Strings' world.
Perfect examples are the City's gate, the jail or the baby's birth, all built around a world made of strings. You simply need to watch the movie to understand that bit.
As for the story in itself, it took me no more than 5 minutes to get into it straight away, totally forgetting that I'm watching puppets whose only way of expression are gesticulating around and closing/openening their eyes.
So anyway, whether you're 10 or 50, I can guarantee you that you'll love this movie!

Page: 1 | 2