Profile for TablePourDeux > Reviews

Content by TablePourDeux

TablePourDeux (Dublin, Ireland)

Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 2.8mm Lens (70 Viewing Angle) - Black NEWEST MODEL (replaces the FI8908W)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 31 May 2014
While the resolution of the camera may not be terrific I find it adequate as an indoor security camera. I use it in conjunction with Synology's Surveillance Station which supports the pan and tilt features. Night vision is OK given that it only has 12 IR LEDs. Installation was straightforward (but I do know my way around computer networks). On a few occasions the camera has reset itself and I haven't figured out why. But, for the money, not a bad piece of kit.

Sous Chef: 24 Hours in the Kitchen
Sous Chef: 24 Hours in the Kitchen

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK a read, 6 May 2014
I would have given Mr Gibney 4 stars but for his occasional use of Spanish within the book, assuming his readers are fluent in Spanish, which I'm not. Otherwise not a bad read and has a great glossary of kitchen terms at the back.

Sony PlayStation 3 500GB Super Slim Console with Batman Arkham Origins Plus The Last of Us (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 29 Jan 2014
At the price of €199 this was terrific value and there is still plenty of life left in the PS3. Much quieter than my earlier PS3.

CATRAHONE Diamond Power Knife Sharpener
CATRAHONE Diamond Power Knife Sharpener

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but great value., 19 April 2013
I've spent a lot of money over the years on various types of sharpener that never really delivered a good edge. While the Catrahone is not cheap, for the first time ever I have a drawer of sharp knives in my kitchen. I have been using it for about 4 months now and would haeartily recommend this for anyone who has good knives and wants to keep them sharp.

How Music Works: A listener's guide to harmony, keys, broken chords, perfect pitch and the secrets of a good tune

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the cover., 19 April 2013
Having read David Byrne's How Music Works over Christmas, which deals largely with how music works on an emotional and cultural level and how the music industry works, Mr Powell's book with the same main title, How Music Works, was suggested by Amazon's recommendation fairies as something I might enjoy - and they were right. As a non-musician with an interest in using DAWs such as Reason, Cubase, FL Loops, etc. for largely empirical compositions I found this book gave me a great insight into some of the fundamentals of music that had eluded me up until now. No, it won't make you a musician just by reading it, and competent musicians may find the information somewhat basic, but for the rest of us who love music but never really spoke it's language this is an excellent read. And Mr. Powell's witty prose never allows it to be boring, even when he's discussing "fiddly details".

Logitech Harmony Adapter for Playstation 3
Logitech Harmony Adapter for Playstation 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 6 Nov 2012
I wanted to be able to use my Harmony One to turn on the TV and PS3 and launch Netflix and this unit was needed to make that happen. A single tap of the "Watch Netflix" activity on my Harmony One now brings me directly into the Netflix welcome screen. The only complaint is the cost of the unit, which is nearly half the price of the Harmony One remote and it is strictly a one-trick pony, so only 4 stars. But has worked flawlessly for the last few months and will hopefully continue to do so.

Asics Men's Gel 1150 Running Shoe White/Pacific Blue/Black T015N0150 9 UK
Asics Men's Gel 1150 Running Shoe White/Pacific Blue/Black T015N0150 9 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Graet shoe, 12 Aug 2011
I had a pair of these for the gym and wanted another pair for outdoors and these fitted the bill at a great price. Recommended.

Logitech Squeezebox Touch (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech Squeezebox Touch (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid performer, 21 Feb 2011
Each iteration of the Squeezebox has been an improvement on the preceding model and The Touch is no exception. I'm currently using the Touch in our living room, a Squeezebox 3 in the lounge, a Squeezebox 2 in my workshop and a Squeezebox Radio in the bedroom. Each of these are served their music over the home network from a 1TB Raid-X Netgear NAS running Squeezebox Server (currently ver 7.5.2). While some of the Squeezebox units are connected to the network via ethernet cable the Touch is happily running on our wireless network and we have had no issues to date with wireless drops. There is a small but noticeable sonic improvement in the Touch over the SB3, the sound seems crisper and tighter with better defined middle and top end. Setting up the Touch is fairly straightforward if you know the basics of IP addresses - I assign a fixed IP address to each of the players to ensure I know what is where at all times.

The unit is attractive to the eye and the displaying of the album or station cover art in colour is a nice step up from the SB3. What I am less keen on is the fixed angle of the display which means that you will not be able to clearly see the display when sitting if you have it at a height greater than 1.5m. It's a pity that they didn't provide a movable display that could be presented at a range of angles.

Ironically, the feature that gives the unit its name i.e. a touch-sensitive display, is the one that I never use. I just find it quicker and more convenient to use the remote control (maybe its just habit as that is how I access my other SBs).

As a long time Squeezebox fan I am very happy with the Touch. It misses out on the fifth star solely because of the fixed-angle screen.

TFA 30.3034.01 Ratio Wireless Thermometer with Radio-Controlled Clock
TFA 30.3034.01 Ratio Wireless Thermometer with Radio-Controlled Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little unit, 21 Feb 2011
Easy to set up and works a treat. Checked its accuracy against a mercury thermometer and it seems spot on. Unlike some earlier reviews I have had no problem picking up the remote sensor. The time is always accurate thanks to the radio synchronization with the atomic clock in Frankfurt. If I could add two features I would like to see it would be an all-time max and min and availability in white as well as black. Very happy with the unit.