Profile for Dicko > Reviews

Content by Dicko
Top Reviewer Ranking: 822

Dicko (North Yorkshire)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sky HD Remote Control Black
Sky HD Remote Control Black
Offered by highstore

5.0 out of 5 stars great price too, 14 Oct. 2014
Identical replacement for the remote that came with my Sky+HD 1TB box. Works perfectly, great price too, miles cheaper than elsewhere.

Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Nokia 301 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Technomobiles

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect phone for calls, texts and a few other things., 14 Oct. 2014
I needed a simple phone just for calls and the odd text for work that is reliable and with a long battery life. This really has fitted the bill. The battery lasts for days on end even after making quite a few calls. Sound quality is great too, voices are lovely and clear. It even comes with a headset/headphones, which I needed and are also good quality. The menus can be a bit difficult to navigate after using a smartphone for years which can be a bit frustrating, but if like me, you're just after a phone to speak to people and not much else this is a great, very capable choice.

Philips LED Frosted Lustre Bulbs - Twin Pack (E14  25W) - Warm White
Philips LED Frosted Lustre Bulbs - Twin Pack (E14 25W) - Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive bulbs which do not use much electricity at all., 14 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These bulbs have been fitted into bedside lamps. They turn on in full brightness immediately while the older fluorescent bulbs that they replace took a while to brighten up. They are only 4W each too so hardly use any electricity at all. Colour wise, they are perfect with a claimed 'warm' light which is perfect for my bedroom. You can't tell they are LED bulbs really, they look like old frosted Incandescent bulbs.

Garmin Edge 1000 GPS Bike Computer
Garmin Edge 1000 GPS Bike Computer

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice bike GPS with a lovely big clear screen., 10 Oct. 2014
I've used this on a few long rides now and I have to say that I am impressed! I waited a while before I bought it though as a few of the first reviews were not very favourable, but there have been quite a few firmware updates (currently on v2.5) now so I thought i'd give it a go.

This replaces my Edge 800 and first impressions were really good. The screen is much higher resolution and very clear and the touchscreen is now capacitive rather than the dated resistive and it does work with gloves! I've tried all my gloves with it and they all work fine, I was quite surprised by this.

I managed to pair it with my iPhone first time and hooked it up to my home WiFi no problem. It recognised all the sensors on my bike very quickly too like cadence, speed and HRM.

Using it for a ride it is very quick to get a satellite fix. It takes a few seconds in you have GPS and GLONASS enabled (which does use more battery though). This was a great improvement from the 800. When out on a ride the screen quality is very good, much clearer that the 800. Similarly to other Garmin units, you can customise all the screens to display what you want. Finger swipes across the screen work perfectly to move to other data screens or maps.

After finishing a ride, I had WiFi enabled on mine and when I got home and looked at the computer, my ride was there on Garmin connect, nice!

After only a few rides, i'm really liking this Edge 1000. I was a bit unsure whether to spend so much on the upgrade, but it has been worth it in my opinion. The screen is so much easier to see when on a ride and the maps are now very usable compared to my Edge 800. I'll wait and see what happens when I get a text out on a ride (no one has texted me yet when i've been out!), hopefully this will work as it would be useful when out on a long ride out for the day.

The unit itself looks really nice too. It is quite a bit bigger than the 800/810 and looks a bit like a smart phone. It still uses the old Garmin mounts, so any you have on other bikes will work. However, and this is my only negative so far, and for me it was quite a big negative, my old K-edge 'out-front' mount was too small! What I mean is that when you put the Edge in at 90 degrees to the bars and then turn, it hits the stem! It does come with a Garmin 'out-front' mount which I thought was a nice touch, but this was also too small to properly fit it 'out-front' dead centre in front of the stem. I ended up forking out another £30 for the K-edge XL which (as far as i'm aware) is currently the only mount available that allows it to be mounted right in front of the stem. I did wonder why may mate had his to the right of the stem, it's too big in my opinion to be located anywhere other than directly in front.

All in all though, i'm happy, it looks great, works great (fingers crossed) and is easy to read and use when riding which is the main point really. Just a shame about the lack of larger out-front mount.

Philips Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer BT9280/33 for Precise Symmetrical Beards

5.0 out of 5 stars You know, I have one simple request, and that is to have a beard trimmer with a frickin' laser beam attached to its head., 1 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My request was granted with this state of the art beard trimmer which bizarrely enough does indeed have a laser beam attached to its head. Who'd have though it, I am sure Dr Evil has already got one by now too, I'm looking forward to his review :-)

Onto the beard trimmer then! It is excellent and performs really well, there are two sizes to the trimmer head, small (for precision areas) and larger for general beard trimming. You just swivel the top around to select either one. There is also a rotary dial that adjusts the trimmer length (when one of the two plastic guards are attached to the trimmer). You can adjust the length from 0.4mm upto 7mm. The increments lower down the scale move up in 0.2mm, so it goes 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 etc and when it gets past 2mm it moves up in larger increments.

Performance wise, the laser does actually really help when you are trimming in the mirror. As its beam is quite wide, you get a better idea of the exact angle you are trimming at. The laser only works when you do not have one of the guards on the trimmer head though so it is purely used for precision sculpting of your beard. It also makes a good job of trimming the rest of your beard to your desired length.

Overall, i'm really impressed. You can rinse it under the tap as it's waterproof and the battery lasts a long time, i've used it quite a bit already (7 or 8 times) and have not needed to charge it yet. If you're after a really nice state of the art beard trimmer, I can thoroughly recommend this beauty, I love it.

Ultrasport GPS Pulse Computer NavRun 200 Set - Black
Ultrasport GPS Pulse Computer NavRun 200 Set - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars All too confusing for me. Nice watch though, but that's not the point is it., 25 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used (or tried to use) this GPS watch a fair few times now and I'll have to be honest, I just haven't really got a clue whether I am being successful in starting it properly and then saving the run. On my first try I eventually managed to get it started after waiting about 10 minutes for the GPS to lock on but I had no idea if I had stopped it and saved the run correctly when I had finished. Upon connecting it to my PC to view the data (using their supplied software), I found out that luckily it had recorded my run (and to be fair it was just as accurate as my Garmin is on the run I completed). But it had also recorded 4 others which were obviously the ones I had started and stopped after the run when I was trying to save it!

The instructions come on a CD as well as a 4 sheets of paper instructions, 2 of which are quick start guides and the other 2 tell you 'How to change views in run mode' and 'How to view current data after your exercise before saving'. No idea why you need 4 separate sheets, a small booklet would have been much more sensible. The instructions are just so vague as well, they are just a series of pictures set in a flow chart and for me, just not very good at all. On my first run I was left thinking, I wish I had brought those 4 sheets of paper with me because I have not got a clue what I'm doing here ;-)

To be fair, the watch is nice, it looks good in my opinion, it looks remarkably similar to another GPS watch on the market! It's comfortable in use as well and the strap is plenty big enough. The data you can view on your PC is pretty good too, however, I have yet to find a way of uploading a tcx or gpx file so I can add to Strava, Endomondo etc. The watch does not appear in Windows explorer when I plug it in and I can't find an option in the software, there's nothing obvious any way that explains how to do it and the instructions do not mention it. This for me is a major omission, so many people are using Strava etc to compare their runs it seems crazy why the option to save data as a tcx or gpx file has not been included.

Overall, the whole set up needs to be much more simple and straight forward, it's just far too complicated and cluttered for me, I have no confidence in it when I am using it as the menu's do not easily make sense and I have struggled to save my runs. The biggy for me is no option (from what I can see) to save files to upload to Strava etc and I know that this will put a lot of people off.

Topstar Sy HE20PBC00E Head Point Comfort Swivel Chair with Contour Shaped Mesh Backrest
Offered by LUXURY EXPRESS

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, well built office chair that can be used all day., 25 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work from home so need a comfortable office chair to use for the whole day. This has really fitted the bill nicely, well, nearly.

Firstly, you need to assemble the chair as it arrives in pieces, but it is all relatively straight forward and I easily managed it on my own in about 20 minutes and all the tools you need are supplied. You have to attach the arm rests, wheels and slot the chair seat and back rest together and you're then good to go.

The seat itself is very comfortable and stays that way for extended periods of up to 3 or 4 hours of continuous use in my experience with no real sign of becoming uncomfortable which was very good. It is very adjustable, you can adjust the height and also the tilt of the back rest (which is made of material mesh and is also really comfortable), and also the height of the back rest so you can find a comfortable position. Unfortunately there is no tilt adjustment for the seat part which you would generally get on an office chair at this price.

One minor irritation for me is with the arm rests. They do adjust up and down which is great, but they don't quite go high enough for where my arms naturally want to rest. They are about an inch too short for me which is disappointing as the rest of the chair set up is excellent.

Overall though, a very comfortable, top quality office chair that can be used all day and looks very nice too. Just the issue with the height of the arm rests let it down a bit for me.

AEG AG3003 Ergorapido 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 12 V, Ebony Black
AEG AG3003 Ergorapido 2-in-1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 12 V, Ebony Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Really light, effective battery powered vacuum - it does a great job., 4 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the vacuum cleaner a while now and it has performed really well. To be honest, with it being battery powered, I wasn't expecting too much, but it does a really good job if you just want to quickly vacuum a small area, although the battery will last for around 20 minutes which is good. Because it has a motorised brush, it manages to pick up the vast majority off debris from my floors. It works well on carpet as well as wood and laminate floors too and has really neat LED lights so you can see in darker places.

It also has a really nice feature which automatically cuts any hairs and other bits from the roller brush. You just stand it on a laminate floor and press a button with your foot and cutters slice through any hair on the roller brush and they get vacuumed up, neat!

It's really light too and you can easily carry it upstairs etc. The collection bin is a bit small though and fills up quickly. You also need to wash the filter after every 5th emptying of the dust container which can be a bit of a pain.

You can also detach the vacuum from the handle and use it as a hand held cleaner for smaller spills etc which is a handy feature.

Overall though, if you need a light vacuum cleaner that is easy to carry around, this is a great option and it works really well.

Braun Oral-B TriZone 6000 6-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide and Bluetooth Connectivity

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, futuristic, really effective toothbrush., 4 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using the for a while now and it really is a great toothbrush. Used just on its own as a toothbrush, it is really effective at cleaning teeth. If you're used to using the smaller Oral B brush heads then the larger ones that are provided with this toothbrush may take a bit of getting used to as they are quite a bit larger, but they do do a fantastic job of getting your teeth clean. However, I do prefer the smaller heads (which you can still use with the toothbrush by the way) as you can get to the harder to reach places in your mouth easier.

What sets this toothbrush apart from others i've used are the 'smart' features. It has an LCD SmartGuide unit that times your brushing time and tells you when you're pressing too hard as well as displaying which toothbrush mode you're using. It also has bluetooth connectivity so you can download the Oral B app for Apple and Android phones and it monitors your brushing routine and gives you trophies based on how well you do! I thought it was going to be a bit pointless, but it has actually encouraged me to be a bit more dedicated to brushing my teeth correctly, not too hard and for the recommended 2 minutes which has to be a good thing! Just not sure how long I will actively want to take my phone into the bathroom with me, i'm sure at some point I will either get bored or drop my phone in the sink!

Overall though, a really neat toothbrush with some great features. Best feature for me is that the brush flashes red when you press too hard which is good for looking after you gums. Best of all though, it does a fantastic job of cleaning your teeth and that's what counts really.

Garmin Bike Speed and Cadence Sensor
Garmin Bike Speed and Cadence Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, discrete speed and cadence sensors which are a doddle to fit, 30 Aug. 2014
My old cadence sensor gave up the ghost so I thought I would buy the most up to date version. I'm glad I did, this speed and cadence set is great! The best thing for me is that there are no cable ties like in the previous version. The new version uses elastic bands instead and looks a whole lot neater on your bike, there's also no need at all for magnets or any thing like that. The cadence sensor just attaches to the left crank arm and the speed sensor attaches to the hub of either wheel, although if you use a turbo trainer, it'll have to be the rear wheel.

The other bonus is that they are so easy to remove, you can easily swap between bikes. There's no calibration, you just put them on and go.

In use they have performed perfectly for me for the first 3 or 4 rides even on a very wet ride. They work with a lot of the old as well as newer Garmin Edge's and other Garmin units (check before you buy to be sure though).

Overall, I'm very impressed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20