Profile for R. J. Mitchell > Reviews

Content by R. J. Mitchell

R. J. Mitchell

Price: 6.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't sea this coming!, 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Following Sea (Audio CD)
I was a big fan of dEUS back in the '90s, the first two albums were two of the albums i listened to most during my 'student days'. However I drifted away from them and it was only recently i found out that they had been making music again over the last few years. So I thought I would take a chance on Following sea, just for old times sake really. Now i've got to say that this is a FANTASTIC album. My first thoughts were that dEUS had lost the energy and the sound that made them stand out nearly two decades ago, however after a couple of listens, the album draws you in, and i realised that this is just a developed and more mature sound that is just as gripping as the old stuff. I've listened to it over and over and it just gets better and better. I've since gone back to listen to the older albums and this is probably a better album for the times. dEUS are just as interesting as ever, they are not going over old ground or journeying along for the sake of it, they have progressed and definitely have produced music of real quality and real worth. Trust me on this!

Dark On Fire
Dark On Fire
Offered by dodax-online-uk
Price: 11.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Brakes back to their best!, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Dark On Fire (Audio CD)
The Optimist LP is one of my favourite albums of all time, and seeing the band live in the early 2000's were some of the best performances I have seen. However although following releases were well recieved, they just didn't do it for me, so much so that I didn't even take much notice of Dark on fire on its release, and only picked it up when i came across a copy twelve months later. Even on first play I was blown away! Heavier, more dynamic, yet with the passion and emotion of their debut, this is the true follow up to the outstanding Optimist LP. Without a single weak track the album just gets better and better. This for me is one of the better albums of the decade!

Dark Was The Night [Red Hot Compilation]
Dark Was The Night [Red Hot Compilation]
Price: 8.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Every so often, you find a little jem!, 10 Jun 2009
I came across this album while browsing on Amazon and decided the reviews (and price) were good enough to give it a go. WOW, So glad i did! This is an absolutely fantastic album. Although disk 2 didn't really get me, disk 1 is constantly on my CD player. Wonderful songs that just get better with each listen! Although i had heard of several of the artists, I was unaware of their sound and I have come across some wonderful new music through this album. If you are a fan of this kind of music (new folk, I think)and artist such as Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes (although they are not on this album?!)You MUST get this album!
Fantastic music, Fantastic packaging, fantastic cause. Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant!

Forth
Forth
Price: 5.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Just wouldn't let it lie!, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Forth (Audio CD)
The Verve were a big part of the soundtrack to some of the best days of my life back in the 90's,ANothern Soul being one of my favourite albums of all time. I didn't have too high expectations for this album and was going to steer clear, however I really liked the lead single and so decided to take the plunge. WHAT A BORE! I'm not comparing this work to any other (a different time, a different place!) But although there are a few decent moments, most of the album passes you by without impact. I've tried over and again, but just leaves me unmoved, and some tracks just become irritating after a while. like sleeping with an ex - quite exiting at first but ultimatley you should have stayed well away.