Profile for J. B. Pawley > Reviews

Content by J. B. Pawley

J. B. Pawley (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Search for the Eye of Fire
The Search for the Eye of Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Overview, 16 July 2014
This is a well written personal account of the story of the EoF.

It helps to have an understanding of the original story as most of the content expands and fills in gaps in the original text which was written by others.

It is a valuable resource for anyone interested in this area of research.

Infinite Trolley Coin / Master Key - Twin Pack Purple
Infinite Trolley Coin / Master Key - Twin Pack Purple
Offered by TMB Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Work Perfectly, 12 July 2014
I was a bit dubious about this item but as it was cheap and you get two of them I thought I'd risk a purchase.

These work exactly as described and are very simple to use indeed, they make the use of shopping trolleys much more convenient and when I first used it there was a massive queue for the trolley docking station so I just handed my coin free one over to another person.

I'm thinking of getting one of the individual metal ones. Highly recommended.

Universal Cute Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 Mini Music Earphone Headphone For iphone 5s/Galaxy s5 i9600/ipad (Black)
Offered by The end(Dispatched from HK)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept - Poor Sound Quality, 12 July 2014
I purchased this product as it's a reasonable price and more compact than my current Bluetooth headphones.

It's an interesting concept, you get one Bluetooth receiving headphone that clips over your ear and one wired in ear headphone that connects to the Bluetooth headphone with a micro USB connector.

I've not had a chance to road test the device yet so I can't comment on the battery life but the sound quality was a bit of a disappointment as it is very tinny from both the Bluetooth headphone and the wired one, after tinkering with my iPhone's graphic equaliser pre-sets I found one that make it just about bearable but do not expect very much of the base if you are purchasing these as a primary set of headphones.

Over all I'm happy with the purchase as they work and are compact. I would have been happy paying a higher price for the product if the sound quality was improved. My one concern is replacing the in ear headphone if it should ever develop a fault as a cursory search for a single in ear headphone with a micro USB connector has given me zero results thus far.

Clockwork Orange Mens Red T-Shirt (XL)
Clockwork Orange Mens Red T-Shirt (XL)
Offered by HotScamp T-Shirts

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality T-Shirt, 5 Jun 2014
This t-shirt surpassed my expectations, the material is thick and very good quality as is the print and it is very well fitted under the arms, when I first opened it I thought it was going to be way too big but because of the quality of the t-shirt it turns out it fitted perfectly.

Also it's worth taking time to read both sides of the t-shirts label...very entertaining.

Robocop [Remastered] [Blu-ray]
Robocop [Remastered] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Peter Weller

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Looking Version By Far, 9 Feb 2014
Review of the Director's Cut Blu Ray.

Not much needs to be said about the film or it's impact on the genre, so I will cut to the main thing that worried me about this edition before I ordered it which is: does this release do justice to the film visually? Thankfully it does, Robocop has never looked so good with good crisp definition, sharp colours and little to no noise reduction...there is grain, if you don't like grain this is likely to grate on you but I personally prefer the image to be untampered with.

I cannot comment on the quality of the audio as I do not have a 5.1 system, but the main thing for me is the superior image quality, also the low price point helped.

Blackheath Seance Parlour
Blackheath Seance Parlour
by Alan Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars I Cannot Recommend This Highly Enough, 9 Feb 2014
This book gripped me from start to finish, so much so that I read it in a day. The characters come alive from the pages to the point that I actually miss them now that the book is finished.

The author clearly has a love of Blackheath and this shines out in the novel whilst not overshadowing it with too much detail historical or otherwise, there is also a good dose of manipulation of the reader's emotions, to the point at one stage where I thought the story had been ruined for me!

The darkly Gothic novel within a novel is well thought out and paced within the main story and I could quite happily read this as a separate novella.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough and I can honestly say that I hope Mr Williams' next novel is set four years after this ones finishes.

Binatone The Brick GSM Sim-Free Mobile Phone
Binatone The Brick GSM Sim-Free Mobile Phone
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, 16 Jan 2014
It's big, it attracts attention and everyone who has seen it has asked me where I got it from and wants to get one.

The network reception has been very good and it's amazingly light but the manual leaves a lot to be desired and the menu system is overly complicated.

By the way the default security code is 1122, but you only need to input your code when switching the phone on rather than when unlocking it so it's a bit of a pointless exercise really.

All in all pleased I'm with it for the price.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Clock, 25 Nov 2013
I got this clock as a present for someone who is a big fan of Dali and they were very pleased with it.

It is well made and looks very good on a shelf, it looks more expensive than it actually is.

Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Hannibal - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Series Terrible Release, 29 Oct 2013
There is no doubting the quality of this series, it was compulsive viewing and without the adverts you can see the quality of the storytelling, each episode is a tight well made package.

The Blu Ray release however is a let down, none of the extras from the US edition make it onto these discs, we are left with two five minute TV spots which left me disappointed as I was looking forward to commentary tracks and behind the scenes features.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 12:04 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Pendent, 29 Oct 2013
This pendent is quite large and has the same image on both sides, so no worrying about it flipping over. It's got a rough "rustic" feel to it but I think that it adds to its charm.

I'm very pleased with the quality and price of this item.

Page: 1 | 2