Profile for Carrie > Reviews

Clay Characters for Kids
by Maureen Carlson
Price: 6.53

5.0 out of 5 stars It's delightful .... don't hesitate, buy now!!, 11 Jun 2012
I ordered this book for my niece but ended up keeping it myself!! I decided that I could use it with her and my partner's little daughter when they come to visit us anyway. It's a fantastic book for beginners working with clay and fimo type products and I see myself progressing onto other books by the same author in the future. Great fun, I truly recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2013 11:20 PM GMT

Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
by Bobbi Brown
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!!!, 28 April 2010
I absolutely love this book! I am in my early 40's and only just beginning to play with make-up, I know, can you believe it!? As a teenager I always felt that I made such a hash of putting on make up and really didn't know where to begin anyway or how to choose colours to suit me. I ended up leaving it by the wayside, apart from a little mascara and lipstick/gloss from time to time and on special occasions. However, just a month or so ago I felt inspired to look into it again and asked somebody to recommend a book, to help get me started on the basics. This make-up manual by Bobbi Brown was suggested and within days I had ordered it from Amazon ..... now there's no looking back. It has greatly demystified the use of make-up for me and shown me how to build up from a strong foundation (no pun intended). It is my bible of the moment and I refer to it frequently. This would be a fabulous gift for anyone new to make up, teenage daughters, nieces, grandaughters etc or anybody who would just like a good reference guide for the basics. I am having such fun playing now, experimenting to find colours that suit me, textures, tools etc and am already improving in confidence with my make-up choices, application and on a personal level as I look in the mirror and sometimes actually love what I see! It's amazing what a little make-up can do. I highly highly recommend this book with no reservation. I must admit, Bobbi doesn't always go into as much detail as I would like. For example: I would like more pictures to show exactly how to contour the eyes, instead of a few words telling you what you can do. I have also bought Jemma Kidd's 'Make-up Masterclass' book as an additional reference book and the two seem to complement each other very well. Overall though, if I was picking one book on make-up and how to apply it, this would definitely be 'the one'.