Profile for Jeany Pavett, Author of Life After Death: A Mother's Story > Reviews

Content by Jeany Pavett, ...

Jeany Pavett, Author of Life After Death: A Mother's Story (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Joni: An Unforgettable Story
Joni: An Unforgettable Story
by Joni Eareckson Tada

4.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration indeed, 29 Aug. 2010
You know, sometimes we wonder if God is actually listening to our requests. We pray that He takes away our pain and suffering and we are taught that He heals the sick if only we ask for it and pray in faith.

This is the story of a young woman who prayed for the healing of a terrible injury after a tragic accident had disastrous consequences. God didn't heal her, but He had a bigger plan, one the human eye and mind could not see. Through this terrible tragedy, Joni triumphed over devastating odds and touched so many lives across the world with the healing message of Christ!

It seems incredible. A single moment one day led to a tragic accident which changed Joni's life forever. And yet, despite the devastating consequences, Joni showed how an active and promising life shattered, and all the struggles that ensued, can be transformed into accepting disability and discovering the meaning of life. She also shows how God reveals his love and she testifies to faith's triumph over hardship and suffering.

As Joni's story demonstrates, God's greatness, power and mercy are always at work in all those who fully give their hearts and lives to Him. No matter what the circumstances God can overcome, build up and show others His awesomeness and magnitude.

It is wonderful to read of God's healing miracles where folk are healed of life-long physical illness, but it is equally wonderful to read of God's triumphs when physical healing does not occur.

Palomino
Palomino
by Danielle Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Palomino (Paperback)
I haven't read a Daneille Steel novel yet that I haven't loved. There is always an unexpected twist. It's amazing how life can change so quickly. One minute there's everything to live for, then suddenly on the flip of a coin everything changes.

After her husband leaves her, Samantha, a career woman goes to stay at her friends ranch where her life is very different and so are the people she meets. Her life is transformed for the better until a terrible accident flips the coin back the other way. But Samantha is not one to be kept down and she sets to to overcome everything and live again.

The Promise
The Promise
by Danielle Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Promise (Paperback)
Like many others, this was the first Danielle Steel book I ever read when I was a teenager. I borrowed it from my sister. The love that Michael and Nancy shared was strong and very special spanning across the classes. They vow always to be together until tragedy strikes with a terrible car accident and Michael's Mother, who never agreed with the relationship, was able to convince Michael that Nancy had died in the crash, and convince Nancy to stay away forever. Nancy's face was totally re-constructed after the accident which made Michael's mother's plan able to work.

Not to give everything away, I would suggest you read it. It's a compelling read, a love story with a completely new twist to traditional love stories. True love conquers all.

Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason
Bridget Jones : The Edge of Reason
by Helen Fielding

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny book., 20 Aug. 2010
I didn't read Bridget Jones' Diary but saw the film so when I saw this book in a little book store in Suffolk. I was intrigued. Once I started reading it I just wanted to finish it. Obviously after seeing Bridget Jones, the characters in The Edge of Reason, took on more life and I could picture them. I wasn't at all disappointed, the book was just as funny as the first one and full of life.

All in all this book covers so much, entertaining, funny, romantic, thank you Helen for a great sequel.

I Dared to Call Him Father
I Dared to Call Him Father
by Bilquis Sheikh

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brave and determined lady!, 20 Aug. 2010
I bought this book at a Worship Conference with the idea that I could recommend it to a friend of mine. Bilquis Sheikh speaks honestly and openly about her life, the political unrest, the way in which both women and Muslim converts to Christainity were treated. Bilquis speaks about how she found references to Jesus in the Qur'an and so felt she wanted to find out more. She managed to get hold of a Bible and searched for answers to her questions and found them. I could not put this book down once I had started reading it and even though I wanted to finish it, getting to the end was disappointing as I had no more to read.

Bilquis writes in a way that draws the reader into her life and one can't help but side with her through the trials and persecution she found herself in. It certainly gave me a lot to think about as I realised her bravery and the close relationship she had with Jesus. I have recommended this book to many people especially those who are searching for the answers to the 'meaning of life.'

Stardust
Stardust
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 20 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Stardust (Paperback)
Stardust is a humorous take on a fantasy romantic story. Gaiman has really captured a unique twist to this fairytale. I thought the film was brilliant BUT the book was even better. It a book that no matter what your age you can enjoy, in fact it was my teenage daughter who brought it to my attention and I'm so pleased she did.

Well done Neil.

Twopence to Cross the Mersey
Twopence to Cross the Mersey
by Helen Forrester

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read full of history!, 20 Aug. 2010
I'm far too young to know what life could have been like for Helen Forrester, but felt as though I was there with her. I was the eldest of a large family and know how hard times can be in but also all the joys as you make the most of what you do have. I wouldn't pretend my life was anything like Helen's, the Forrester family were a very poor family living in Liverpool at the early part of the twentieth century.

Reading Helen's book was much better and far more interesting than learning history at school and it is her story and yet it is also a history book. Her fascinating account of her life in the thirties, gives the reader a real insight into what life was like for a poor family in Liverpool. Helen never gave up hope of an educated and better life. It is a book that you don't want to put down until you have read to the end.

A brilliant book.

My Story: A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave
My Story: A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave
by Dave Pelzer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 20 Aug. 2010
Whilst I read this book I did struggle with some of it. I found it quite hard to digest. I felt that there was a huge emphasis on lots of negativity and, rather than me compassion towards Dave, I found the book depressing and kept asking myself just how much of the events recalled were remembered and how much was interpretation.

I'm sorry, but I didn't feel I wanted to carry on and read the rest of the books in the series.

The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom
The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom
by Corrie Ten Boom
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing courage, 20 Aug. 2010
The Hiding Place is an amazing story of bravery, courage and faith. The way the Ten Booms protected the Jews during the war is truly fantastic, they risked everything to save the Jews. Despite everything, they kept their faith in God, never once denying it even when their own lives were at risk.

As if that wasn't enough when the Ten Booms were imprisoned in a concentration camp they still accepted everything that was dished out to them. Corrie lost everything, her whole family, and yet she kept her faith and was even able to forgive her abusers.

We mustn't dwell on the past but this is a must read for everyone. The history, the atrocities, the love and forgiveness.

My Sister's Keeper
My Sister's Keeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears at your heart strings, 20 Aug. 2010
My Sister's Keeper is a very moving novel. In this day of modern medicine you can see that this sort of "baby made to order" is possible. But, is it ethically and morally right? Just how far will a mother go to save the life of her child? Should a sibling be forced into being a donor?

My Sister's Keeper takes the reader deep into the thoughts, feelings and fears of a mother's heartbreak for her sick child, the helplessness and desperation she feels and then the hope that comes when she finds what she feels to be a solution and can save her child. All this is contrasted with the feelings and fears of her children and the decisions they wanted to make for themselves.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6