Profile for Jeany Pavett, Author of Life After Death: A Mother's Story > Reviews

Content by Jeany Pavett, ...

Jeany Pavett, Author of Life After Death: A Mother's Story (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Ladybird Books Mug, The Motor Car, Large 500ml, gift boxed
Ladybird Books Mug, The Motor Car, Large 500ml, gift boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars A ladybird book????, 28 Dec 2010
My husband has been saying for a long time that he wanted a big mug. I searched the internet and found this lovely mug - ideal for my husband in more ways than one.

He has a passion for restoring old cars so as soon as I saw this mug, I knew I must buy it. It arrived beautifully boxed as a 'Ladybird Book' which, when my husband took the Christmas paper off, still kept him guessing as to what the present was!

Since opening it on Christmas Day, my husband has used it for every cup of tea and coffee he has had. As well as the design, he loves the size and has, at last, stopped complaining that he doesn't get a big enough drink!

P.S. On reading the story on the box we realised that we are definitely from the 'Ladybird Era'!

RAC Warning Triangle
RAC Warning Triangle
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: RAC Warning Triangle (Automotive)
Decently manufactured to give many years of life. The ease of construction and clarity when used makes this a really good buy.

Their design enables their storage, even in the smallest of cars, to be unobtrusive, making this both an ideal gift and a must have for every motorist. Especially as this is a legal requirement for those venturing across the channel.

Konig & Meyer 12285-000-55 Music Stand Light - Black
Konig & Meyer 12285-000-55 Music Stand Light - Black
Offered by Musikshop Speyer
Price: 29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the packet!, 28 Dec 2010
I bought a couple of these lights to use at our Carols by Candlelight service. The main "selling point" for me was the fact that they can work both on the mains and via battery.

They are extremely versatile. By being battery operated this gave us plenty of scope to move our music stands where we wanted them to be rather than being, literally, tied to plug sockets.

The light is plenty without being over powering, thus keeping the mood of the building being lit purely by candles. I would recommend them to everyone who needs to light their music up anywhere.

Nylon (wipe clean) Knife Knives Wallet / Case - 13 Compartment - keep your knives safe while they are being stored or transported!
Offered by Rinkit Ltd
Price: 11.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome gift, 27 Nov 2010
I bought this as a gift for a friend who loves to take his knives away with him on holiday's. Until now they were always wrapped up in tea towels! He was over the moon to receive this and is looking forward to safely transporting his knives from now on.

Beauty for Ashes: Receiving Emotional Healing
Beauty for Ashes: Receiving Emotional Healing
by Joyce Meyer
Price: 8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Self help to healing, 26 Nov 2010
Joyce writes openly and honestly about her life experiences and how her faith in God has brought her through.

Joyce talks about how the road to healing is not an easy one and there are steps that need to be taken by the victim. God can heal, build and encourage, but it does involve us taking those (sometimes extremely difficult) steps to move forward. Joyce talks the reader through Bible verses to demonstrate Gods love for all those He came to save and shows the reader how to move forward and accept God's grace, love and forgiveness.

The Bible Guide: An All-in-one Introduction to the Book of Books
The Bible Guide: An All-in-one Introduction to the Book of Books
by Andrew Knowles

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, 22 Nov 2010
This is another book I bought because I had to for my course. I was expecting it to be boring. How wrong I was. I have not read the whole book yet so cannot comment on every aspect of it. Besides, as a reference book it's not one you would read as you would a novel.

I have found it extremely helpful to read this book alongside the part of the Bible I am reading. It gives an insight into the background and culture of the time and so gives the reader a better understanding of the Bible. Well worth the money and time to read it.

Passion for Your Name
Passion for Your Name
by Timothy R. Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: Passion for Your Name (Paperback)
No one is ever going to "have it all together". It is very easy to fall into the trap of looking at worship leaders, preachers or anyone in a leadership role, and think that they are lucky and obviously don't have problems, or they don't understand. Also it is easy to think that you will never be able to do/be like them.

Of course people in these prominent roles do have the same trials and tribulations as everyone else and that is precisely why and how they can stand up and help bring people into God's presence. If we wait until everything in our lives is sorted before we lead worship - we will be waiting a very long time. Coupled with that, every worship leader should always be looking for ways in which to improve, enhance and enable worship.

This book helps to show the importance of the worship leader getting their heart right with God and gives some helpful and very useful tips on leading worship, song writing, choosing song lists etc.

Men Are from Israel, Women Are from Moab: Insights about the Sexes from the Book of Ruth
by Norman Wakefield

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes a change!, 22 Nov 2010
Originally it was my husband who bought this book to read when we were at a Christian holiday.

Men are from Israel and Women are from Moab, makes a refreshing change. Instead of focussing on the many and varied differences between men and women, it encourages the reader to focus on the similarities and build on them.

Four Gospels, One Jesus?
Four Gospels, One Jesus?
by Richard A. Burridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected!, 22 Nov 2010
I bought this book purely because it was on the list for a course I am attending. I thought, "this will be boring", but I was wrong.

The introduction to the book had me interested from the word go, describing our famous and renowned leader Sir Winston Churchill from four different perspectives. This gets the reader thinking about Jesus. All the gospels vary slightly in the way they talk about Jesus, His life, His miracles etc., and many say that they are contradictory. This book helps to show that four different people can talk about the same person, Jesus Christ, in four different ways, and yet they are talking about the same person.

It is a good book for beginners in the study of the Four Gospels, easy to read yet mind-stretching and offering challenges.

The 5th Horseman (Womens Murder Club 5)
The 5th Horseman (Womens Murder Club 5)
by James Patterson And Maxine Paetro
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed!, 22 Nov 2010
I've read all the books in this series up to this one and am eagerly looking forward to the 6th!

I'm really loving this Women's Murder Club series and, as I've said in previous reviews, I feel as though I know the four leading ladies personally. Each woman bringing her own story to the plot and their lives weave together in an unbreakable bond of friendship and professional knowledge to help solve crimes.

This time the main plot is mysterious deaths of patients at a local hospital. At first it seems as though the deaths are natural causes despite the fact that most of the patients are on the road to recovery and are ready to be discharged. It's difficult to say enough so as not to give too much away and spoil it for new readers, save to say when one of the ladies' Mum is admitted to hospital and subsequently dies, these unexplained hospital deaths become very personal and Lindsay is determined to get to the bottom of the deaths and expose the murderer and leaves no stone unturned and no one is free from investigation, from cleaner to top consultant. A big hospital "cover up" is subsequently "uncovered". As usual, this plot is interwoven with other minor plots and stories.

I like the main character, Lindsay Boxer and disagree with the opinion that she seems 'butch'. I've got to know her throughout the series so far and so understand her behaviour and reactions.

As has already been said in other reviews, the chapters are quite short, which I like. The other four books I've read in this series are the same. It makes it easier to read when you are short of time, but also when you want to read "just one more chapter"!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6