Profile for BigJules > Reviews

Content by BigJules

BigJules (UK)

TIMBERPRO 5in1 52CC Petrol Long Reach Multi Function 5 IN 1 Garden Tool. Includes : Hedge Trimmer, Strimmer, BrushCutter, Chainsaw & Extension Pole
Offered by MicroMantis

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling quality and reliability - avoid!, 19 Jun. 2015
I'm not normally given to writing scathing reviews. Perhaps I've just been lucky in life and purchased decent quality products, and so haven't needed to. This excruciatingly-bad object of my rage has definitely changed all that!

On paper this multi-tool seemed like such a good idea. I needed a replacement for a worn-out strimmer, and had decided that a petrol-engined one was the way to go. Stumbling on this item, I thought I'd got it spot-on, with the addition of a very useful hedge trimmer (plus extension tube - handy for my tall conifers).

The reality is unfortunately very very different. At just over one year old I'm actually throwing it away and starting again. I'm so sick to death of the appalling reliability of the motor. Put simply, it just will NOT run reliably. Even in the hottest of conditions it requires far too rich a mixture to get it to stay running, which means it also chucks out plumes of smoke, with obvious environmental consequences. It refuses to run at all on a choke that's anything less than half-open, constantly stalls and is very difficult (now impossible) to get running again. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to remove and clean / dry the spark plug, and no amount of fettling with the carb will get it running reliably. And to add insult to injury, the starter pull cord has now jammed. I'm calling time on this!

Of course the other obvious issue (obvious to me now, that is) is that I have lost not only my hedge trimmer, but also my strimmer, meaning that I have to splash out on the two replacement items I really should have bought in the first place. I'm certainly not falling for this again, sometimes separate tools are better than all-in-ones, and this is a classic case in point.

Other negatives - the plastic shroud around the top of the engine comes very close to the starter pull and has sharp edges. I've skinned my fingers many times while trying to start the blasted thing. The plastic fuel reservoir leaks from the top where the fuel line and breather run in and out. Getting the various attachments to line up correctly when you connect them to the main output shaft from the engine can be a hit-and-miss affair. And the instruction manual is not particularly well-written or helpful - especially as a lot of the things it tells you to do to get it assembled from new, have already been done

All in all I'd say this product has few redeeming features. Do yourself (and your wallet) a favour and buy decent quality, separate garden tools. Or if you must buy a multi-tool type thing, choose a better quality one than this!!

Nagaoka No. 102 Anti-Static Record Sleeves: Pack of 50
Nagaoka No. 102 Anti-Static Record Sleeves: Pack of 50
Offered by Analogue Seduction

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential purchase for all vinyl lovers, 19 Jan. 2013
I've been using these anti static inserts for about 20 years now, and to be honest I've yet to come across anything else that's as good. They're of high quality, and fit neatly inside any existing inner sleeves, which is a big advantage over something like, for instance, the Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves, which are designed as full replacements. Those are ok if you only have a plain paper inner sleeve anyway so it doesn't matter about replacing it. If however your LP has a picture inner sleeve, you'll often struggle to fit the MF one inside it because they're basically the same size, whereas the Nagaoka insert just fits perfectly.

The only downside nowadays is the price (20 years ago I was paying about £14 for a pack of 50!) but there's nothing else not to like. I wouldn't substitute a cheaper product for these, I value my vinyl collection too much for that.

A Hundred Days Off
A Hundred Days Off
Offered by Todays Great Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Desperately average, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: A Hundred Days Off (Audio CD)
OK, to help you set the context of my review and to decide if it makes any sense to you, I still think that Beaucoup Fish is Underworld's best ever album, followed by Second Toughest. Unfortunately "A Hundred Days Off" doesn't even begin to match either of those albums for creativity, involvement or enjoyment. To be honest, it feels like the Underworld steamroller ran out of steam here - with the exception of the opening track "Mo Move", the pounding rhythms of "Dinosaur Adventure 3D" and the rather ethereal (if slightly formulaic) closer "Luetin" the rest is eminently forgettable. Really. After I don't-know-how-many listens I couldn't tell you how any of the other tracks go.

Underworld have proved that they have staying power, 2007's "Oblivion with Bells" being a return to their earlier standards, and far more enjoyable than this lacklustre effort. I suppose everyone is allowed a disappointment at some point in their careers, and this happens to be Underworld's. For completists, I'd say - wish I hadn't bothered with it
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2014 9:27 PM BST

Take Cair Paramour
Take Cair Paramour

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashbury Heights reach new heights of excellence, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Take Cair Paramour (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of AH since seeing them support Combichrist in Bristol, back in 2008. Always been a bit of a fan of the Goth / EBM / Dark Electro scene, and having never heard AH before that gig, they immediately impressed with a slick, coherent and balanced sound that made me order their first album, "Three Cheers for the Newlydeads" as soon as I got home.

So fast forward four years, and (by the sound of things) a lot of change and hassle for the band, and here we are with the follow-up, "Take Cair Paramour". And to summarise - if you liked the first album, you're unlikely to be disappointed with this one.

Still with the trademark dark electro sound (Anders, I hope that's the correct genre!) and the instantly-accessible melodies, but with an extra dose of polish. Not in a glossy "over-processed" way - the sound is still well-balanced and expansive, but extra care and attention has been lavished, like polishing a diamond for the last bit of brilliance.

And what a result! The opening track "Anti Ordinary" really sets the bar high for the rest of the album, with its catchy melody and pleading lyrics (stand your ground and be yourself, rather than caving in to what others want). Other personal favourites are the quirkily-titled "Scars of a Lighthouse" (a gem of a tune), "Crescendo" and "Dancer's Nocturne". There's a couple of songs that don't quite hit the highs for me ("Medicine" is a bit fluffy and repetitive) but they're not bad enough to warrant pressing "skip" on the CD player.

The second CD contains mostly demos and remixes of tracks from the main album, but with a couple of extras thrown in, including a film theme tune in "Dark Clouds Gather over Vanity Fair", and an exclusive track "Sensual Nothing", both of which happen to be very good tracks. Of the remixes, none are particularly radical reworkings of the originals, more like re-instumentation, and hence none are poor. On the other hand neither are they particularly memorable to be honest - I'd have been happy to have the two good tracks as bonuses on the main CD and skip the rest altogether.

Bonuses notwithstanding, this is definitely a great second album, and Ashbury Heights should be rightfully proud of it. OK, so it is definitely an expensive purchase at the time of writing, so not exactly an impulse purchase, but one that's worth having in your collection. If you're unsure, pick up a copy of "Three Cheers..." first and see what you think - if you like it, then get this too!

Edit: having listened to "Three Cheers" again last night, it's very obvious how the new album is more polished in production. Maybe that does detract a little, in comparison to the rawer first album, but the songs themselves still shine through

Koolertron Christmas Gift iPAD-2 Full Body Smart Cover Case/iPad 2 Smart Case Cover Protector Front +Back case For Apple iPad 2--Red Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, and bonus extras too!, 22 Mar. 2012
I ordered this item 2 days ago and it arrived today, at least a week ahead of the official estimated delivery time, so pleased with that to begin with. I actually wanted it for the front cover rather than the back, as I already have a back cover. Even though I'm only planning to use half of the item, it's still massively cheaper than the official Apple cover (especially as I wanted red, and (Product) Red covers are only available in leather at £65!).

I'm really pleased to say that the front cover looks to be of good quality, and certainly very similar to the official cover (I'm not convinced it really is genuine, given the colour, despite all the "authentic" packaging). Regardless of whether it is or isn't, it fits perfectly, the magnetic bar aligning and attaching exactly as it should. It folds as it should, making an effective low or high stand, is secure when closed, and looks great with my semi-clear silicone rear cover.

I was also very pleased and surprised to find that, along with the front and rear cases, the package also contained two free screen protectors and a rubber tipped stylus! I certainly wasn't expecting that, and they are both useful additions. I haven't tried fitting the protector yet, so I can't comment on how fiddly or otherwise it is, but the stylus works fine if you use a drawing or note-scribbling type app.

The only slight issue I have found so far is that, despite having the correct settings on the iPad, the cover don't seem to put it to sleep when closed. I'm not that bothered as I habitually hit the power button anyway, but if you're a little more forgetful this might cause you a few flat battery moments!

All in all, and especially given the low price, I am delighted with this product, and thoroughly recommend it

iTALKonline Apple iPad 3 (2012) 3rd Generation Matt Clear Gel Soft Back Cover Tough TPU Case Skin works with GENUINE Apple iPad Smart Cover
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job at a great price, 20 Mar. 2012
Having just splashed out on a "new" iPad (thanks for the confusing name, Apple) I was looking to get a decent rear protective cover as quickly as possible. I reviewed lots of different covers on Amazon, and plumped for this one for two reasons, firstly it's clear, so I can continue enjoying the effort Apple put into the design of the iPad, and secondly, it was inexpensive. I had a few concerns given the handful of one-star reviews on here, but I needn't have been worried at all

The cover arrived today, and duly fitted. It may have been updated in design since some of the negative reviews on here were written, or perhaps I've been sent a different model, because I can confirm that there most definitely IS a cut-out for the dock connector, and also the same for the power button at the top, and the volume controls at the side. The fit is a good snug one (only time will tell if it loosens, so final judgment will have to wait a few months I suppose) but it feels sturdy and secure. The side with the cutout that allows the standard magnetic smart cover to be fitted is a bit loose, but that's to be expected as the trade-off for allowing the cover to be used. It certainly doesn't feel particularly floppy.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in is that the cover isn't really that transparent, as shown in the product photos. It's actually a semi-opaque white finish, so although you CAN see the iPad back through it, it's not as visible as I was hoping. Ah well, I suppose it's better that it's being protected...

I will try to post some accompanying photos later to illustrate the point. In the meantime, I would recommend this cover as a good value for money protector.

That Girl
That Girl
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: That Girl (Audio CD)
A friend introduced me to this album a few weeks ago, and finally I got round to buying it myself. I'm a big fan of female vocalists, especially those with a unique voice or something a bit different to say; a quick trawl through my music shelves reveals everyone from the likes of the more well-known such as Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet and Suzanne Vega, through to the less obvious / commercial Beth Orton, Fiona Apple, the gorgeous and hugely talented Thea Gilmore, Nina Gordon, Nerina Pallot, and the simply wonderful Imogen Heap. In Stephanie Kirkham I've just found another all-time favourite artiste to add to that list.

Reminding me of a sort-of cross between Lisa Loeb and the amazing Alice Martineau (if you haven't bought her album Daydreams yet, what are you waiting for?), Stephanie puts her vocals to perfect use on all 10 songs on this CD. At times soothing and caressing, at others innocent-sounding, almost childlike, it's soooo easy to fall in love with her.

Every track is a gem, from the boppy, upbeat "Garden of Dreams" to the dreamy sounds and harshly-dismissive lyrics of the following track "Somebody Else's Girl", one of my personal favourites. For me however, the single "Inappropriate" is an absolute stand-out example of songwriting and perfect execution. I just CANNOT get this song out of my head. Checking the play count for this album in iTunes, the other 9 tracks show 5 plays each. "Inappropriate" - 28 plays! And that's in the last 24 hours since the CD dropped through my letterbox.... I hummed it all the way through my lunch break, much to the annoyance of my colleagues who couldn't hear the music in my head!

Do yourselves a favour and buy this album, it's worth every penny

Speak For Yourself
Speak For Yourself
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars One of those "under your skin" albums, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Speak For Yourself (Audio CD)
I first came across Imogen Heap through hearing "The Walk" on internet radio and loved it immediately. I purchased this album off the back of hearing that one song, and I'm glad to say that I haven't been disappointed.

I'm a big fan of male and female vocalists who have what I would call "unique" qualities - you know the ones, those people who you can't possibly mistake for anyone else. When you hear them, you instantly know who it is: Seal, Annie Lennox, Bjork, David Sylvian, Alison Moyet, the list goes on. Imogen is definitely in that category. She has a wonderfully "quirky" style of delivery - an amazing vocal range, and the ability to switch octaves at will, which gives a fantastic emotional quality to so many tracks. Her style of delivery, sometimes breathy, sometimes pure emotional cry, gives this album so many different facets that it easily stands up to frequent repeated listening.

Everyone has their own favourites of course, but for me "The Walk" still hits the spot, with it's wonderful fat, deep bassline and catchy chorus. The two preceding tracks, "Clear the Area" and "Daylight Robbery" are also firm favourites. However the stand-out track, although very different to the rest of the album, has to be "Hide and Seek". An acapella tour-de-force with vocoder effects, it's just totally, totally brilliant. If you've only heard that one track of Imogen's don't expect the rest of the album to match - it's very different in style, but as long as you're prepared to accept that, you have to give this a go.

As an aside, if you like this but want something a little more unconventional, get the Frou Frou album "Details". Still the amazing vocals, but a bit more quirky than this solo effort. I'm listening at the moment... and totally hooked!

Hotel Paper (Int'l Version)
Hotel Paper (Int'l Version)
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Avril Lavigne..., 19 Aug. 2006
... make room for a superior talent. Much as I love Avril, "Hotel Paper" is in a different league altogether. I cannot tell you how many times I've played this album in the last year, probably hundreds, literally, and I can tell you that familiarity doesn't dull it's shine one little bit. It's never far from my car CD player, iPod, computer, hi-fi, even on my phone. It's playing as I write this. I even catch myself subconsciously humming tracks when I wake up!

Both lyrically and musically, Michelle is at the top of her game, a fact very much in evidence on tracks such as "Empty Handed" (absolutely my favourite among favourites). There's a breadth of talent here that makes me wonder how it is that MB is not as much a household name (in the UK at least) as Avril, Alanis, et al.

Her collaborations with Sheryl Crow ("Love Me Like That") and the great man, Carlos Santana ("The Game of Love") are just two of the other highlights of this brilliant album. I've got pretty broad musical tastes, but not many albums work their way so far into my life as this one has. And to think it was a chance-find on Amazon!

If you buy only one album this year, make it this one. Sublime.