Profile for The Teen Reader > Reviews

Content by The Teen Reader

The Teen Reader (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Throne of Glass: 1
Throne of Glass: 1
by Sarah J. Maas

4.0 out of 5 stars So Chaol is pronounced as Kay-all. Like Chaos., 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Throne of Glass: 1 (Paperback)
Celaena Sardothien is officially my favourite assassin. I wanted to read this because practically every time I saw someone's list of "YA Hardcore Heroines" or something similar she'd be on it. So I'd know every heroine on that list about from Celaena, and so I just had to read it. Obviously.

Let me just tell you that I love the cover. So much. It's quite different from the normal YA book covers I see with either something abstract on them or a photograph of some model posing as a character. Plus I'm also in love with the title.

I don't know why, but I kind of thought Celaena was going to be a brunette. Maybe it'e because I'm so used to nearly every tough protagonist having brown hair. I don't know. I just had this preconceived image in my head of another brunette. So I was kind of surprised when I found out that "it was her golden hair that caught the attention of most". That was probably just me though.

As cliché as love triangles sometimes are, I have a thing for them. In Throne of Glass Maas introduces Prince Dorian (a.k.a Crown Prince of Adarlan) and Chaol (a.k.a Captain Westfall). I don't feel like telling you guys too much about either of them because I honestly don't want to ruin your thoughts on either of them, but I can say that I don't think I can pick one over the other.

Even if you think Throne of Glass isn't your 'type', trust me, it's your 'type'.

4/5 stars - I can't wait to start the next one.

Quote:
"Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back."

Lola and the Boy Next Door
Lola and the Boy Next Door
by Stephanie Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Lolaaaaa, 15 Jun. 2013
Don't hate me, but I preferred this book to the first one.

Lola's a 17-year-old girl who prefers to stand out from the crowd. Her fashion sense is really out there and she doesn't like wearing the same outfit twice. She used to know this guy who she'd always play and hang out with when they were young. This guy was Cricket Bell. When they were about 14 or 15, Lola realised she liked him, but then something happened between the two and Cricket moved away. Fast-forward two years and Lola is now 17, dating a guy who's 22. She's finally managed to forget about Cricket and her feelings for him, when she looks out her window and finds out that Cricket and his family have returned - something she's been dreading for those past two years.

Lola isn't someone I could imagine. She seems so `out there' and unique, and quite frankly, I don't really know anyone like that. Mostly in the YA section you get main characters who are are always like:

"I'm so shy. I only have like, one best friend, and this really hot guy keeps staring at me but I have no real personality so I don't really know what to do. It's dangerous but I'm falling for him."

I am so tired of main characters who think like that. Luckily, Lola is seriously nothing like that. She's the kind of person I'd want to be friends with because she's the complete opposite of me.

Then there's Cricket Bell. Oh, Cricket Bell. In Anna and the French Kiss I found it hard to really fall for St. Claire. Don't judge me, but it was the whole him-being-kind-of-short thing. I don't have anything against short people - I'm only 5 foot myself. Sigh. It's just that I get completely turned off if a guy's short. Sorry.

With Cricket I didn't have a problem. You know how I just said I can't fall for a short guy? Well I love tall ones. And Cricket's tall. He's very tall.

I always love it when an author brings back characters from previous books - and that's what Stephanie Perkins does in Lola and the Boy Next Door. So all of you readers who ship Anna and Étienne won't be disappointed. All of you will probably be jumping around inside whilst trying to maintain a calm facial expression for the outside world.

I just generally recommend this book to anyone. The Anna and the French Kiss books are both so feel-good and romantic. There also very fit for fangirling over.

5/5 stars - it's one of those contemporaries that you don't really forget easily. Those ones are hard to come by.

Teaser quote:

"I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."

Basma @ mybookishthoughts.blogspot.com

Challenging Zed
Challenging Zed

5.0 out of 5 stars *Swoon*, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Challenging Zed (Kindle Edition)
Challenging Zed is a short story from the Benedict series. It's written in the perspective of Zed Benedict, the youngest Benedict brother, and soulfinder of Sky Bright. It contains scenes from before he met Sky, a flashback to when he was nine, when he met Sky, and when he found out they were soulfinders. If you haven't read any of the books in Joss Stirling's series, I highly recommend you do - it's quite high on my list of favourites.

Challenging Zed starts off by showing us a glimpse into Zed's life before he met Sky. For those of us readers who've read Finding Sky, you can imagine what he was like back then. However for those of you who haven't, allow me to explain the fact that he was quite a 'bad boy'. His supernatural powers have given him the ability to not only solve crime, but the ability to see the darker side of people straight away - and he hasn't been coping well.

During the story, Stirling gives us an insight into Zed's life when he was nine. So that means that his oldest brothers were probably in their late-teens or early-twenties... it was very entertaining. The reader gets to see their more playful and caring sides, making girls - like me - swoon. I'm so grateful that this flashback was included, and I learned somethings that I never knew about the Benedict household (they used to have a family pet! You'll have to read it to find out what animal it was. Hehe.)

This short story answered a lot of questions that I had about when Zed and Sky first met, like Did he find her as attractive as she found him? Reading Challenging Zed helped me figure out Zed's character more, and I admit that Zed's never been a favourite for me. Although after reading this, I think I'll reconsider.

Challenging Zed will be available as a free download on Valentines Day 2013. I loved reading it and seeing for myself all the different versions of Zed and I think you will, too.

You can also read my review for Joss Stirling's Seeking Crystal.

A huge thank you to Joss Stirling for making me one of the winners to the 'Zed's Story Competition' and giving me and two others a manuscript - thank you!

5/5 stars - You MUST read this series!

Quote:
"The girl was still at the piano, stroking the keys. The thought edged in that he wanted to go lie down on it and let her run her fingers over him."

Shatter Me
Shatter Me
by Tahereh Mafi

5.0 out of 5 stars Love dystopian novels even more now, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Shatter Me (Paperback)
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time--and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

I have a list of favourite authors. Currently on that list are writers like L.J Smith, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Richelle Mead and Cynthia Hand - Tahereh Mafi is now also on this list.

Look at the cover. It's so pretty. I can't get over how beautiful it is. It would've been impossible for me to spot Shatter Me in a bookstore and not pick it up. I could sit and fangirl over the cover itself. I had really high hopes for this book when I picked it up.

Tahereh Mafi is a beautiful writer. I understood everything she had written and whilst reading the book, there were certain parts I just had to reread over and over again - I still do. For instance, the beginning of Chapter 11. It was written in such a unique way and everything was described so well - you'll see when you read it yourself. There aren't that many authors out there who can write like she does.

Julietter Ferrars is a 17-year-old girl. I get really annoyed nowadays because almost every YA book I read has the main character as a 16-year-old. I know, it's a really childish thing, but I can't help myself, it's like one of my pet peeves. Can't the she be a 15, or a year or two older? So you can imagine by happiness at finding out that she's 17. Juliette seemed really lost and empty in the beginning, but as a reader I loved seeing her transform into someone more confident.

For those of you out there who haven't read this book yet: what are you still doing? Go! Buy it! Shatter Me is a book you stay up late reading - I did. And you won't regret it, either.

5/5 stars - Books like this one make me love the dystopian genre even more.

Quote:
"I'm oxygen and he's dying to breathe."

Legend
Legend
by Marie Lu

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like it. Go buy., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Legend (Paperback)
June Iparis is an over-achiever, confident and daring. Why shouldn't she be? She's the only person known to the Republic to have gained a full score on her Trial, the test taken at the age of ten which determines your skills, and therefore your future. Managing to gain admission into one of the top universities - at the age of only fifteen - has made her one of the most admired. June knows her future is successful.

Day, on the other hand, failed his Trial, and is currently quite high on the list of the Republic's most wanted. He comes from a low class family and has been surviving, on the run, for five years.

I like June. She's someone who's used to getting what she wants, and when she doesn't, she goes out and gets it herself. Including revenge for her brother's death. I also like Day. He's someone who's willing to do anything to support his family, even if it means having them believe he's dead.

The book is split into two parts, despite the fact that's it's barely 300 pages. When I was reading it I was really surprised by it's small size. So much happens in Legend that I couldn't stop wondering how Marie Lu managed to cram so much in. I don't even think 'cram' is the right word. I never felt as if the book was too fast paced or too slow.

The dramatic irony in this book was killing me. When Day and June first meet, the reader is aware of who both of them are, but the characters themselves aren't. I think all the dramatic irony was made possible because of the switching character perspectives. Normally I absolutely hate it when an author does that. Why?! Why can't they just stick to one person? Why do they have the make it so confusing? Only a few books are the exception... this book is one of them.

Lu writes with emotion. I felt that I could easily sympathize with all of her characters. Her writing was really convincing and not boring. If that helps.

In the end, I did enjoy the book. I liked it. Really liked it. The only reason I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 5, is because it didn't fully amaze me. It wasn't something that lingered on my mind. I still really like it, though.

4/5 stars - Really like it. Go read. :)

Quote:
"What a joke! Poor little rich girl's fallen in love with the Republic's most famous criminal."

Sweet Evil
Sweet Evil
by Wendy Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars Forbidden romance with angels and demons? So my thing., 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sweet Evil (Paperback)
Anna Whitt has a reputation for being a good girl. Unlike normal teenagers her age, she refrains from certain addictive substances, like drugs and alcohol, but at the same time feels a compelling attraction towards them. Along with that, she's grown up to discover certain abilities which no one she knows has an answer for - that is, until Kaidan Rowe comes along... *gives knowing smile*.

For me, the layout of a book is pretty important. I know it seems really petty and all 'don't judge a book by its cover,' but it's just something that makes me more eager to read the book. I'm not saying that if the book has a really bad print I'm going to just abandon it; I'm saying that if you have named chapters, a contents page and little quotes by famous authors or philosophers, I'm going to squeal with delight and kind of get addicted to your book. So you can imagine by pleasure when Sweet Evil had all those things. And a prologue. Prologue's are awesome.

The character of Anna seems admittedly easy to relate to. I'd love to be like those hardcore, determined, fearless protagonists which most YA novels star. Alas, I am not. So when Anna comes along I find myself agreeing practically with everything she does and says. Anna has a different way with dealing with rejection; she goes and confronts it. I admit I did find it slightly clingy and desperate... but I also admit that's what I would've done. Especially when the person she's hung up on is someone as fit - er, I mean good looking - as Kaidan.

Kaidan Rowe enters the book as a drummer for a band Anna goes to the concert of. It's the first scene in Chapter 1 and something which didn't fail to grab my attention. Who wouldn't fall for him? He has his own group of fangirls. As if that wasn't enough, he turns out to be English! Not 'British,' but English. What's the difference, you ask? Well. For those readers out there who don't happen to currently live in the UK, a British accent isn't really an accent - there are four countries which make up the UK. They all have their own accent. It's a big pet peeve of mine when the author fails to research facts about a location. Luckily for me, Wendy Higgins did her research. She made sure Kaidan used appropriate terms such as 'mum' instead of 'mom' and 'petrol' instead of 'gas'. I had to adapt to all of those American terms, so it makes me quite happy to see something familiar.

During Sweet Evil I wondered a lot when Anna and Kaidan were going to admit their feelings for each other. It was one of the most frustrating times in the book for me. Yet at the same time, I couldn't help but feel for them and the situation they were in. To know what kind of situation, you'll have to read it yourself - it'll be worth it.

In the beginning I wasn't that into the book. It was OK-ish. I was promised quite a lot, thus expecting quite a lot. I even thought that I might have to write a review about my first low-rated book. Yet, the further I delved into the book, the further I fell in love with it. The ending was just... wow. For me, it ticked all the boxes.

All I know is I can't wait to get my hands on Sweet Peril.

5/5 stars - Go! Buy it! NOW!

Teaser Quote:
“I felt you come alive when we kissed, and I know you’re afraid of that. Afraid to unleash that other side of yourself. ”

Meant to Be
Meant to Be
by Lauren Morrill

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and swoon-worthy, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Meant to Be (Hardcover)
Sometimes you just want to read something completely paranormal-free. Something that has nothing to do with dystopian societies or forbidden love. Something you just want to read and feel good about; something you can just enjoy.

If you're looking for a book like that, then I suggest you pick this up.

Julia Lichtenstein is a straight-laced, book-smart, neat-freak sophomore girl in high school. Her aim in life is so find a perfect, successful career whilst married to The One... a.k.a her MTB - 'Meant To Be'. Her whole life she's believed that her crush, Mark Bixford is her MTB. She leaves with her school for an educational trip to London - the city she's dreamed of visiting her whole life. So everything should go according to plan, and this trip should be one of the most memorable experiences of her life. Thing is, it would be if she weren't paired with the most annoying, self-centered practical joker of the class, Jason.

In case you didn't know, I live in London. I've never been to America, so it was really nice to read about a familiar place - it was really fun seeing it from an outsider's perspective. Allow me to quote Julia herself, "Screw Paris; London is the city for me." So you know, once I saw the Big Ben in the background of the cover, I promised myself I'd read it. It's not often you get American characters in London.

Julia is someone I can kind of relate to myself. I'm not as extreme about everything as she is, but I could understand her actions and reasons really well. Including her annoyance towards Jason. In the beginning, she really annoyed me. I wanted to slap him around the face with a wet fish. Yet, the more I read and the more I got to know the Julia and Jason, the more I believed they were perfect for each other. What did annoy me was the amount of time it took for Julia to figure this out.

I think Meant To Be was a good read. It was easily enjoyable and I have to admit it had a plot twist I didn't see coming. Like I said earlier, if you're looking for a light-hearted book, read this.

4/5 stars - It was enjoyable, but not particularly memorable. Still liked it though. :)

Quote:
"I'm plenty loose. There's a difference between preferring books to parties and preferring sixteen cats to seeing the light of day."

Insurgent (Divergent, Book 2)
Insurgent (Divergent, Book 2)
by Veronica Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars YA at its best., 29 Dec. 2012
Veronica Roth is a genius; I now have another favourite author.

Insurgent starts straight off from where Divergent finished. I can't say that it has a specific location, because the book was so fast paced, with numerous environments, unlike the first in the series, Divergent. In normal circumstances, this would've majorly turned me off a book, but Roth's writing never made me feel rushed - even if it did, it tied in perfectly with the dystopian genre.

One of the things that I love most about this series is Tris' character. It's developed so much - anyone who's read the books can tell. At the beginning of Divergent, Tris - sorry - Beatrice seemed so lonely and brainwashed. It was so fun reading from her perspective in Insurgent, mainly because she was so unpredictable. Still is. It's protagonists like her that are evidence of YA at its best.

Then comes Tobias. Sigh. This is another of my hormone-crazed moments. One thing I picked up on while reading this was that we kind of get the impression (well, I do anyway) that Tobias is more 'into' Tris than she is with him. That thought was just continuously nagging at me. Yet, when I thought about it more, it was kind of a relief. In all honesty, the majority of books I read are filled with female main character's being completely head-over-heels for a guy who doesn't even know they exist. We're not that desperate. However, I am pleased to reveal to any reader out there who feels like this as well, that it's not going to last. I'm not going to say anymore because I hate giving out spoilers.

When I finished this, I was entirely amazed. There was only one thought on my mind, and I thought it over and over: Veronica Roth is so clever. The plot she's created hasn't failed to leave me wonderstruck. I didn't really see it coming. The end result was basically me having a breakdown.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry in some lonely corner of my house - in the dark - and mourn the fact that the next book is being released in September 2013. Such a long wait.

5/5 stars - YA at its best.

Quote:
"People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets."

DEITY (Covenant)
DEITY (Covenant)
by JENNIFER ARMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars This book does bad, bad things. In a good way., 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: DEITY (Covenant) (Paperback)
After finishing this book, the only thing that kept me going was the fact that there's also a novella in the Covenant series. Once again, I have to commend Jennifer L. Armentrout on her ending.

People who've read Pure will know what a cliffhanger it ended on. The lives of Alex, Aiden and Seth all depend on a secret.

I remember reading through Half-Blood and Pure and nearly throwing the book across my room. Obviously I didn't, because I was reading it on Kindle, and I was not going to injure my precious Kindle. The cause of my frustration was Alex and Aiden - they're perfect for each other. So why weren't they together already? For me, one of the most aggravating parts of a book are when the two main characters aren't admitting their love for one another. We all know they love each other and they know they love each other and most of the characters in the book know they love each other. But what are they doing about it? Nothing.

Luckily for all those Alex and Aiden shippers out there - like me - something does happen - yay! So, you know. If you're reading the book and feel lost and don't think it's grabbing your interest, you have something to look forward to.

Yup, I know. What about Seth? Well. Ever since I started Covenant, I've never really liked him. Even if I have, it's only because I've felt sorry for him. In Deity... not so much. Just keep your eyes open... that's all I can say...

We all know that Alex's Apollyon time is nearing - the time when she'll Awaken. I can tell you that we do get far enough to reach that point, but I'm not going to reveal her reaction. It ends at a cliffhanger, and it's something I'm really looking forward to in the next book, Apollyon. Thing is, it's being released in April 2013. Sigh.

You can read my review for the previous two books, Half-Blood and Pure.

5/5 Stars - This series is doing bad, bad things to my bookish thoughts. In a good way.

Teaser Quote:
"Gods, it was a messed up day when I was the voice of reason."

Divergent (Divergent, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent, Book 1)
by Veronica Roth

5.0 out of 5 stars The Host Meets The Hunger Games, 24 Dec. 2012
Wow.

You have no idea how long I've had my eye on this book. I'd log onto Amazon and then search the book and just stare at it, wondering when I was finally going to get the chance to read it. Luckily, I did well in some exams (as in, *cough, cough* got 100% but I'm not going to brag or anything...) and so I was finally allowed to buy some new books. It was a tough choice between certain reads, but I chose Divergent and Insurgent - and I am so glad I did. I have this really big sense of OCD when it comes to paperback books. Reading it on Kindle is just not the same. Plus, this one's kind of lengthy than normal YA books, and I don't think I possess the patience to read a book like that without holding the actual thing in my hand.

Anyway, enough about me - time to get onto Divergent.

In Beatrice Prior's world, her society is split into factions. Factions are like family, in fact, they're meant to be valued higher than a family. A faction is where you'll find a career and become and adult. However to do that, every sixteen-year-old must choose which faction they belong to. There's the Erudite (who value knowledge), Candor (honesty), Amity (peace), Abnegation (selflessness) and the most daring, Dauntless - who value courage and bravery.

Born into a family of Abnegation, Beatrice doesn't believe she belongs. So she has a choice. Either stay with her family, in a faction which she feels she can never be a part of, or join the Dauntless, the faction which she is strangely fascinated by, ultimately transforming herself into the undaunted Tris.

I was promised big, big things with this book, and I wasn't disappointed. Tris is a character that I admire; she does things that I can only dream of doing. Veronica Roth doesn't describe her as particularly attractive, but it's her venturesome behavior which forces all eyes on her. I adored how much she progressed as a person throughout Divergent, and it made me wonder what really effects us - it had me linking back to the whole nature vs. nurture theme.

Quite frankly, I don't really like dystopian novels.They seem too... detached. I find it really hard to imagine alternative futures like they present. That's not the case with Divergent, though. The further I read, the further I fell for the dystopian genre.

Personally, I think Divergent is kind of like a mixture of The Host by Stephanie Meyer (one of my favourite stand-alone novels) and The Hunger Games. I'm obsessed with both of them, so you can imagine how emotionally attatched I am to Divergent. I'd find myself reading it till very late and then waking up at a ridiculously early time, just to start reading it again. It was nearly impossible for me to stop wondering what was going to happen next.

I also now have a new favourite number - four. Now I'm definitely going to give dystopian novels a go. For me, this book was perfect.

I finished it wondering one thing only:
Why didn't I start it earlier?

Page: 1 | 2