Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now
Profile for Jay Soul > Reviews

Content by Jay Soul

Jay Soul (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Meatspace
Meatspace

5.0 out of 5 stars Me @ Space, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Meatspace (Kindle Edition)
In this instant gratification online world we live in, Meatspace feels bizarrely slow to get going. The first 20% of the book (yes, Kindle tells me percentages) is a tough read in many respects.

Once you get through that, the pace quickens and as more characters are incorporated into the plot, the split focus just works and builds to a crescendo. It's almost sequenced like a well-crafted album.

It's a slow burn but rewarding - the final section of Meatspace is simply stunning, transforming it from simply quirky to a must-read. It was a risky strategy, but an unforgettable one worth taking.

iPhone 5 Case - Leather Wallet Flip Cover for iPhone 5 and 5S, Brown
iPhone 5 Case - Leather Wallet Flip Cover for iPhone 5 and 5S, Brown
Offered by Purplemoose007

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 21 Jan. 2013
Was sceptical, but this is actually the real deal! Same product, great quality as elsewhere - just literally 7 times less in price (£35 in Apple Store).

They must have cut out the middleman, and I'm delighted. I'll be using this exclusively for going out drinking/clubbing when I don't want to double up on phone & wallet.

Sony MDRNC13 In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones
Sony MDRNC13 In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Emphasis on "Travel" Headphones, 18 Sept. 2012
Quick summary, 007.

PRO:
- Superb at reduce humming noise on planes, trains, fans and such. Especially at this price.
- Comfortable
- Great sound quality
- In-ear element blocks out a lot too
- Battery life is simply immense (1 AAA battery lasted me 3 months)

CON:
- Does little to block out voices or TV
- Slight white noise when you're in an already quiet environment

The emphasis is most certainly on "travel" - it's great at that aspect, and has solid sound quality regardless. Just don't expect it to block out every single type of noise.

At this price (just over £30) I'm pretty happy, to be honest.

Sony NWZS765W.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - White
Sony NWZS765W.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - White

4.0 out of 5 stars The One That Got Away, 11 Mar. 2012
I recently went to South America for 3 months. Didn't want to take a fancy iPhone, so bought this Sony Walkman. So believe that this has been test in the most intense conditions:

- at high altitude (5000m above sea level)
- on the Inca Trail
- Freezing cold + intense heat
- Peace & quiet + loud noise
- Planes, trains, buses, boats, coaches...

You get the idea. The main Pro's & Con's:

PRO:

- The battery life is immense: they are not kidding, 50 hours of audio playback beats anything else on the market
- The built-in (passive) noise-cancelling headphones are absolutely superb for what they are, incredible and maybe the best feature
- The sound quality is top notch: it brought out parts to my favourite albums that I'd never heard before, remarkable
- It's not a touchscreen: this is useful in places where I didn't want to flash around a nice MP3 player, reach in pocket and change song

CON:

- Trying to get music onto the Walkman took forever, the software is just long and doesn't transfer protected files, misses out others
- Navigating within can get a bit confusing: how they've arranged the titles etc doesn't make sense
- Playlists are virtually non-existent: you get 5. Yes, five.
- The worst bit for me? It is not compatible with Mac: I had to transfer 16gb of music to a Windows PC then drag & drop

SUMMARY:

This is without a doubt the best MP3 player I've used for purely musical purposes. The battery life is immense, the sound quality is simply stunning and the noise-cancelling headphones are incredible for what they are. This little Walkman stood by me faithfully through thick and thin, never faltered over 3 months of constant use in South America and if it were just down to these qualities, I'd recommend it instantly. There are lots of superb touches: I listened to an audiobook at times and could speed it up with incremental percentages, not just 2x like on an iPod. And again, those headphones... It made me realise just how much work Apple actually have to do for their iPod range. Sony have included passive noise-cancelling and lovely headphones - Apple are running out of excuses!

But it's just so frustrating. The software - as per usual with Sony - isn't easy to use. The fact that it isn't compatible with Macs is simply insane. Sony, swallow your pride and fix this. It's 2012 and we should be able to plug a Walkman into a Mac and sync it with iTunes simply, no excuse. It was laborious just getting the music on, and protected songs/albums didn't even transfer across. It's not easy.

In conclusion, I'm going to liken the Sony to an ex-girlfriend. At times she is incredible and can take your breath away, but she can also continually make insane decisions that push you away. In the end, life with a Sony Walkman is - for me - just too much of a rollercoaster, and I'd rather have a more stable relationship with an iPod that "just works" with my lifestyle. But I'll forever think about this Walkman being "The One That Got Away..."

Outta Control (Dynamixx Remix)
Outta Control (Dynamixx Remix)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Track, 31 Mar. 2011
Jaya is a rising star from the UK, and "Outta Control" (her second single) genuinely is a first class pop song. Not just saying that, it's one of those tracks that will really stick in your head. Personally I like the original the most but the Dynamixx Remix is solid.

Desigual Loverpul Men's Cardigan
Desigual Loverpul Men's Cardigan

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh you lucky Amazon..., 10 Mar. 2011
Well I received the sweater very quickly. Having ordered a "Large" - even the printout in the package says this - I actually received an XL. Luckily for you, Amazon, Desigual have done a kind of shrunken fit number on the sweater, so it actually fits very well. Still, you're lucky that I'm letting you off this time! The sweater is very cool.

Sony Bravia KDL40EX43BU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Internet TV with Integrated Blu-ray Player and Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely Excellent TV/Blu-Ray Combo, 25 Aug. 2010
INTRODUCTION:

Had this TV for a few weeks now, as I wanted to wall mount with concealed cables. I also don't have/want Sky so this attracted me for various reasons. Here are a few pros and cons:

PROS:
- Screen is excellent at this price point, surprisingly the 50mhz has very little lag (unless you're sitting too close)
- Has a built-in DVD player WITHIN the TV (side-loading, like an iMac)
- No wait, that's a built-in BLU RAY player!! Excellent quality, quiet as a mouse
- It also has Freeview HD built-in, only BBC HD and ITV HD at present, but they look stunning (if your reception is up to scratch)
- The software is superb, and the remote - whilst not as good as the one for my Bravia 2 - is nice
- The TV itself is very stylish indeed, a real looker, albeit chunkier than the new LED ones (but don't worry about that, having the Blu Ray player built-in makes it worthwhile)

CONS:
- The software, although brilliant, is quite slow and from switching on to actually viewing your selected channel takes a while
- The speakers are pretty good, but with "hidden" speakers, they are never going to be amazing, let's face it
- The ports at the back aren't an issue for me, but they are not intelligently positioned (HDMI, especially)
- The "wireless" function requires you to buy a Sony-only dongle which is almost £70, that's plain crazy (hence why I cannot accurately review how good the wireless streaming of YouTube/Five etc is)

SUMMARY:

I am truly delighted with this purchase. At this price point, including a built-in Blu Ray/DVD player that gives great performance is a real game-changer. Freeview HD is also included, and if your reception is good enough, watching ITV or BBC HD is a real eye-opener. They have packed in a lot of features into an attractive looking TV, and this will easily do me at least 5 years plus until OLED units become widely available and affordable.

I also have to commend the settings - watch a film, then hit the "Theatre" button. At first it looks weird, then you become totally immersed and think you're in your own private cinema. It also intelligently adjusts to the "correct" screen much more effectively than any other TV's I've used.

Completely redecorated my living room, so I got the electricians to put a power socket and TV aerial socket right where the TV was going to be wall mounted. As I mentioned, no plans to get Sky, so I love having a single 40" TV on the wall, with no need for a separate DVD player or Freeview HD box. All you see is the TV, no dangling cables and just one remote.

40" is also more than enough. I firmly believe you shouldn't overawe your living room with a gigantic screen beyond the realms of common decency, and 40" is perfect (unless you have a massive room to fill). Yes, the cheek of Sony to try and get you to fork out £70 for their wireless dongle is unacceptable, but hey, I have a laptop/iPhone for watching YouTube etc so I'm not bothered at all.

Also, as a brief update, I tried playing DVD's created on my computer which had films on them. Unfortunately, it only recognised it as a Data DVD and didn't want to play anything. Needless to say, I was a bit upset. Then, however, I tried playing the original source file on the USB stick (as the TV has a USB port). It played the films and TV shows (in AVI format) PERFECTLY! I'm delighted, as this cuts out the need for me to create a DVD in the first place. Any films on my laptop can be put onto a tiny USB stick, plugged directly into the TV, and played. That's awesome, right?

All in all, I can wholeheartedly recommend this TV. I'm delighted, and to put it in perspective, just try and search for a similarly specced product anywhere - there isn't one, as this is entirely unique. It is also a fantastic product - not perfect, but good enough in every respect.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2011 12:25 AM GMT

Office 2008 for Mac, Home and Student Edition (3 User Edition) (Mac)
Office 2008 for Mac, Home and Student Edition (3 User Edition) (Mac)
Offered by Empire Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade, thoroughly recommended., 15 Jan. 2008
Office 2008 has finally arrived, and it is similar in execution to Office 2007 for Windows - but obviously adapted to brings out a Mac's strength. It will take some getting used to, as the interface is redesigned, but once you've used it for a day, you'll realise it is naturally more intuitive. Put simply, it makes more sense.

Once you put a bit of time and effort into realising all of the amazing things you can do with Office 2008, you will be knocking out much more detailed - and attractive - documents with ease. Word is excellent and universally compatible, Excel solid as ever, and PowerPoint links so easily with iPhoto that you can make a top-notch slideshow in 10 minutes flat.

At this price point - with a license for 3 computers - it is an absolute bargain!

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives
by Dan Millman

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book I've ever read, 8 Oct. 2007
This book helped to change my life for the better, forever. The more receptive you are to admitting you are wrong about things, the more you will get out of it. It is jam-packed with so many useful teachings that you can read this book 3 times a year for the rest of your life!
It is also important not to get addicted to self-help books, as they can be falsely alluring and somewhat misleading - this is not one of those books. Buy this, read it a few times, and change your entire outlook on life. Love it!

Shock Value
Shock Value
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty shocking, actually!, 26 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Shock Value (Audio CD)
This is a disappointing album. The majority of it sounds like Timbaland from 5 years ago, and to be honest the 'shock value' must be how little effort has gone into it.

The track with Justin ('Release') it a pale imitation of 'Lovestoned', and you will notice this again and again throughout the album.

It is OK to experiment and be a bit leftfield - but it has to be musically brilliant. Buy 'Loose' and 'FutureSex' instead.

Rather disappointing, Mr Mosley!

Page: 1 | 2