Profile for Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK > Reviews

Content by Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK

Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Hart's War [DVD] [2002]
Hart's War [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis|Colin Farrell|Terrence Dashon Howard
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars What no action?, 2 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Hart's War [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give this film one star. It did start off well but by half way through I was falling a sleep. It's more a made for TV film than a Hollywood block buster and although there are some good performances from the cast I found it predictable and long winded. One to watch once if you're an insomniac and then give to a charity shop. You'd be better off buying "Foyle's War."

The Mighty Boosh: Live - Future Sailors Tour [DVD]
The Mighty Boosh: Live - Future Sailors Tour [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julian Barratt
Offered by Playaction UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as Good as a Fourway Crimp, 27 Mar. 2010
I went to see this concert and absolutely enjoyed it. It was in the main a magical, surreal night with some real belly laughs. I find contrary to some that I prefer the newer material that has had more money spent on effects ect. That said they are multitalented and work on many levels, Julian Barrat and Noel Fielding have great chemistry. I have ordered this DVD as a souvenir of a fantastic night. They are all here Tony Harrison, the Crack Fox and the fabulously sinister hitcher with his Raven side kick. Visually good and not just a re run of material they had done in the past. The only bit that I thought didn't really work was the play in the second half. I look forward to their next project. Got to go, I'm hanging my paper clips on paper clip tree in stationery village.

TW Steel Unisex Quartz Watch with Beige Dial Chronograph Display and Brown Leather Strap TW3

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Classic, 17 Mar. 2010
The watch was delivered within three days of ordering. Well packaged and very nicely presented. This watch oozes quality and I know I have owned a watch three times this price and it appeared to be no better. The materials seem to be of a very high standard. Visually that big 50mm dial has tremendous impact. Fashion aside, the fact that the face is clear to see is a big plus. Some of the watches I own are multi dialled and it is very difficult to read the details. It has a feeling of over engineering and although I'm not an exhibitionist (honest) it does get nice comments where ever you go. I would recommend a TW STEEL watch to any one who appreciates functionality, classic looks and quality, all in the same package.

The Old Road
The Old Road

5.0 out of 5 stars The Old Road leads to a Golden Age, 9 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Old Road (Audio CD)
What a magnificent accidental find this is. Asia, Classic era Genesis and Yes spring to mind. I thought no one made this kind of music anymore but luckily it seems I'm wrong. I understand that Martin is quitting the music business. This is a real shame as this album out prog rocks most of the albums that where made at the height of this genre. Every track is a gem, it would be churlish to choose any as a favourite but The Power and the Speed comes close. Every track fits like an old shoe or should I say a Glastonbury boot? With modern equipment and the benefit of experience it sounds very accomplished indeed. I found it very moving in places. This one goes to the top of my collection. If you like great music this is for you.

Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape - India [DVD]
Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape - India [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martha Delap

5.0 out of 5 stars Hotter than a Vindaloo, 21 Jan. 2010
I love India having travelled there myself and I love Indian food. Even so the fact that this series totally blew me away was completely unexpected. I have watched Gordon Ramsey's programs over the years and found him unpretentious and engaging but often thought the constant use of bad language unnecessary. This was something else, rather than been intimidated by the often overwhelming Indian way of life and culture Gordon took it head on. Not only was this a food program but it was a full blown adventure. Every touch and turn there was something new, a roller coaster of a ride. In a series' that almost every bit was a highlight two sections stand out for me, his reflections on his experience with the Guru, vegetarianism and religion and the section with him skiing behind the bulls. Fantastic! I will be buying this video, even as a foodie I never though I would hear me say that.

Theme From 'the Sweeney'
Theme From 'the Sweeney'

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as hard as Jack Reagan, 9 Jan. 2010
I think this must be a copy, unless the lack of presence is in the production. It seems shallow and pale compared to the original. This is one I should have let get away, Guv.

Mouse Round (Mending Song)
Mouse Round (Mending Song)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 9 Jan. 2010
It's a novelty but Bag puss is still loved by many. The mice are fantastic, cute and coming from a slightly more innocent age. This always brings a smile to my face and it's doesn't need any "fixing" or "stickling!"

Sadistic Mika Band/the Black Ship
Sadistic Mika Band/the Black Ship

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond echo of a distant past, 9 Jan. 2010
Back in the seventies there was a plethora of music papers it was a great time for new bands and each week there would be different adverts for new albums. Prog rock was at its height and I was always looking for a new sound. Just like Spider and Rudi from the Mighty Boosh. Japanese cars where hammering British Leyland, Japanese motor bikes where taking over. So when I heard of the Sadistic Mika band I went out and bought Black Ship. They seemed to apply the same strategy to rock music, take a western product, fine tune it and hone it then make a technically perfect product. For it's time. To be honest I found it hit and miss but when they where on song, perfection. The extended pieces where dramatic moody and exciting. They still are. Over thirty years on in the age of the internet and mobile phone the world seems much smaller. Back then this band was really exotic. All of the tracks are played with expertise and precision. In my opinion Sumie no Kunie, time machine and black machine stand out. For these alone this CD is worth buying.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 6:06 PM BST

Filth & Dreams
Filth & Dreams
Offered by samurai media JPN401

5.0 out of 5 stars No Filth and Lot's of Dreams, 9 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Filth & Dreams (Audio CD)
Fans of Swing out Sister won't be disappointed as this is up to their usual standard. A bit trippy, a bit chill out and ambient compared to some of their other CD's. Very atmospheric and very enjoyable. The title track is superb and if you actually fit into any of the themes Corrine sings about very personal. This is probably as much an attraction to me as the excellent vibes. If like me you already have many of these songs on other CD's it will make no difference, you just have to have them all. Just whish they where easier to buy. Anyway, pour the wine, dim the lights and submerge your self in this delightful outing from Corrine and Andy.

The Rough Guide to Languedoc and Roussillon (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Languedoc and Roussillon (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Brian A. Catlos

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to going, 9 Nov. 2009
The book is well written as you would expect. As I haven't been to the area yet I am yet to see how useful it actually is but I have had their publications before (India) and they have proved invaluable. Would have liked to have had a few more colour photo's of the main attractions that's why I have only given it four stars. I have read large sections, overview of area, culture and specifically where I will be staying and it has wetted my appetite even more. One minor niggle for me personally is the section on travellers reducing their carbon foot print but we wont go into that here. A good book I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7