Profile for emily husain > Reviews

Content by emily husain

emily husain

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy Book 1)
The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Mar. 2016
I couldn't read any further than the fest twenty pages, and I read loads of post-apocalyptic fiction.

I was interested by the concept of the book, and thought that if it was halfway decently written it would be worth a read, but it's poor.

The prose is childish and wordy, with clunking similes and awkward turns of phrase, paired with clumsy narrative tools. An example is the very early scene where the women are forced to read aloud the textbook they study every day. Despite being the middle of the book, this passage conveniently explains the plague and the background to the story as though the person reading it is totally ignorant. Clunk.

The writing style is paired with a total nonsense plot and cardboard cut-out characterisation: there is the Mean Girl, the Helpless Girl, the Likely Ally, and our heroine Katniss.

I admit that reading the whole book might clear up these issues, but there is so much that doesn't make sense: why do they physically mistreat the women, if there are so few? Why is their teacher a woman? She'd be in a cage too!

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 July 2015
It's a while since I've read any vampire fiction and this is a pretty good book. I'm also not a YA anymore, so I was sceptical about whether this would be sufficiently adult, but it's dark and the language/ dialogue isn't too teenagery.

Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller
Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 26 Mar. 2015
I read a lot of zombie fiction and this is one of my favourites ever. The protagonist is really solid - a tough, ever-so-slightly cliched ex-soldier turned cop - who is likeable and who you really root for. The writing is great too, and while it's wryly funny rather than packed with gags, it isn't taking itself annoyingly seriously. It's fairly dark and pretty gory, sort of 'The Road' meets Mira Grant. There are also a few new plot elements which single this out from the huge field of zombie fiction. Devoured it and hungry for the next one.

Pig (batteries not included)
Pig (batteries not included)
Offered by somethingdifferent

4.0 out of 5 stars but does fine on uncarpeted floor, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Pig (batteries not included) (Toy)
Bought this as a present for a one-year old. She was absolutely terrified at first and it was hilarious - the grunting noise is very amusing. The pig can't walk on the carpet, but does fine on uncarpeted floor. It needs batteries (they aren't included) but seems well made.

University of Gallifrey Ladies T-Shirt Spring Green Small 8 - 10
University of Gallifrey Ladies T-Shirt Spring Green Small 8 - 10
Offered by bybulldog

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Jan. 2015
The t-shirt is a good fit and nice colour - all as expected.

Aynsley Elizabeth Rose Cake Slice
Aynsley Elizabeth Rose Cake Slice

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet item, good present, 26 Jan. 2015
Bought this as a present for my grandma - it's very nicely made and a great gift.

Doomsday Book (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Doomsday Book (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Connie Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars I won't spoil it but the plot is fantastic and if you like historical fiction or science fiction ..., 26 Jan. 2015
This book is the first Connie Willis I've read and it is phenomenal. I won't spoil it but the plot is fantastic and if you like historical fiction or science fiction it's the book for you. The premise is great and the characters are well-written and easy to invest in. The book has great historical detail and the dual narrative brings light relief among the horror of the medieval storyline. It reminds me of Michael Crichton's "Timeline" but is far better written. I highly recommend this book!

A Day and a Night and a Day
A Day and a Night and a Day
by Glen Duncan

4.0 out of 5 stars intense love lost and found, 26 Jan. 2015
I am a huge Glen Duncan fan (there are probably gushing reviews I've written on Amazon for some of his other novels), but this left me a little cold. It's a bit Glen Duncan by numbers: incest, intense love lost and found, extremes of cruelty and tenderness...if you've read Hope or Love Remains, it's a slightly less affecting version of those love stories, mixed with a thriller-ish dual narrative. The characters are familiar, the writing is his usual visceral, powerful stuff, but nothing surprising. I enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed too. The second, "contemporary" narrative set on the Scottish island lacked impact and the later characters were a bit thin, as I suppose they were just props for the flashbacks, which contained the big stories.

Shards of Honor
Shards of Honor
by Lois McMaster Bujold

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like classic space opera it's a fairly light, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Shards of Honor (Paperback)
This was enjoyable but fairly predictable and very much of its time. The writing and characterisation are old-fashioned, so reading it was a little jarring to me. It reminded me of Anne McCaffrey (the Catteni books) in some ways. If you like classic space opera it's a fairly light, short read with a Captain-Janeway-esque protagonist. I don't mean to damn with faint praise: I'm glad I bought it and did enjoy it, so I would recommend it.

Her Smoke Rose Up Forever (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Her Smoke Rose Up Forever (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by James Tiptree Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic collection of short stories, 26 Jan. 2015
This is a fantastic collection of short stories, especially "Love is the plan the plan is death". The writing is spare and at times the stories seem a little dated, but the imagination behind them is incredible. I thoroughly recommend this book, even if you don't normally read short stories. They are powerful, funny, poignant and clever. She's one of my new favourite sci fi authors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3