Profile for Jane Brown > Reviews

Stitched Textiles: Flowers
by Bobby Britnell
Price: 11.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and attractive book., 15 Oct 2013
As a gardener I am particularly interested in the varied ways the ideas have been interpreted.Techniques are followed by detailed descriptions of the methods used in a variety of projects.

Stitched Textiles: Landscapes
Stitched Textiles: Landscapes
by Kathleen Matthews
Price: 11.19

4.0 out of 5 stars I needed ideas for a landscape picture I was planning., 15 Oct 2013
After a discussion on materials and ways to dye them the author illustrates in detail her way of transferring the design. giving basic techniques, following through to the final picture. Each detail is photographed. All the pictures are extensively stitched which adds to the shading with varied colours of threads.

Quilted Symphony
Quilted Symphony
by Gloria Loughman
Price: 16.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Another author new to me., 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Quilted Symphony (Paperback)
Useful guidelines for sources of inspiration followed by clear instructions on techniques and practical application. A book I shall return to often.

Point, Click, Quilt! Turn Your Photos Into Fabulous Fabric Art: 16 Projects, Fusible Applique, Thread Sketching & More
by Susan Brubaker Knapp
Price: 16.36

4.0 out of 5 stars An author new to me., 15 Oct 2013
A prompt to take the camera and really LOOK at the scene before me, long medium and close up views. Ideas for building skills are followed by projects and help to interpret them.

Mixed-media Master Class: 50+ Surface-design Techniques for Fabric & Paper
Mixed-media Master Class: 50+ Surface-design Techniques for Fabric & Paper
by Sherrill Kahn
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A true master of her craft., 15 Oct 2013
I have other books by this author and knew what to expect. This will give me many hours of interest and guidance in the use of a wide range of techniques.

How to Be Creative in Textile Art
How to Be Creative in Textile Art
by Julia Triston
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best craft books I have read., 14 Feb 2013
This book lives up to the authors' claim to guide the reader step by step to develop from an idea to a completed piece of work. The book is well illustrated throughout with attractive examples and has clear explanations of techniques. It has a useful glossary and happily only a few translations for the American readers. The book is comfortable to handle. I agree with a previous reviewer; I would like to have had this book when I studied C. & G. From my first reading of the book I have themes which I plan to pursue. I would recommend this book to anyone studying on a course or wanting help to be creative in textile crafts.

What Has Nature Ever Done For Us?: How Money Really Does Grow On Trees
What Has Nature Ever Done For Us?: How Money Really Does Grow On Trees
by Tony Juniper
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A call for us to become more aware of the limits of the earth., 14 Feb 2013
In this book Tony Juniper puts the value of the natural world into financial terms. It is a book which I think should be brought to the attention of all politicians and leaders of industries. Fortunately he gives examples of where appropriate action has been taken. More, much more, needs to be done for the long term benefit and survival of us all. Tony Juniper has written in an easy and interesting style.

The Story of English: How the English language conquered the world
The Story of English: How the English language conquered the world
by Philip Gooden
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 19 Nov 2011
I first borrowed this book from the library and soon realized what a wealth of interest it contained with mention of books, some familiar but others previously unknown to me. This will lead me to a study of books mentioned and also of current English usage. A friend who also read the book agreed it is a fascinating read.

Fruit (River Cottage Handbook No. 9)
Fruit (River Cottage Handbook No. 9)
by Mark Diacono
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Bookbrowser, 18 Sep 2011
My introduction to the work of Mark Diacono was "A taste of the unexpected", which I have enjoyed and will find very useful. Next I bought Veg Patch No. 4 in the River Cottage Handbook series which again I found a valuable addition to my bookcase. The chance to buy "Fruit" by the same author was too good to miss. Following the same formula as the others in the series it is well set out, nicely illustrated and gives useful charts such as the suitable companion plants. The recipes look really yummy.
Certainly a book worth owning.

Fusing Fabric: Creative Cutting, Bonding and Mark-making with the Soldering Iron
by Margaret Beal

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy., 15 Oct 2006
Well written, straight forward guide to using a new technique. Good illustrations, attractively presented. Covers the esentials of the equipment and fabrics. Includes suggestions for carry ideas forward and ways in which the ideas can be used.