Profile for Boondoggle > Reviews

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars great idea, poor execution, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (App)
Fantastic game, simply uncontrollable with the degree of accuracy needed for this game. It simply does not work for this reason.

Peter Gabriel: Live In Athens 1987 [Blu-ray + Bonus DVD] [2013]
Peter Gabriel: Live In Athens 1987 [Blu-ray + Bonus DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Peter Gabriel
Price: 16.61

5.0 out of 5 stars SO, is it any good ?, 18 Sep 2013
Just arrived yesterday, I had been looking forward to this one since pre ordering a while back. I have to say that it's a totally different experience and much more rewarding when compared to the original POV release, a concert video that I always frustrating. It's now a straight concert bluray without the extra bits of backstage and archive footage shown over parts of songs. It also features the whole setlist which is very nice. I can only imaging what audience members who were unfamiliar with PG's work prior to the SO album must have thought when he broke into songs like The Family And The Fishing Net or Intruder. One question though, why almost edit out the electronic drum sounds out of The Family And The Fishing Net ? very strange. Anyway, this Blu ray looks lovely given the age of the footage and it sounds pretty sweet too. On top of this you get the rather nice support show from Youssou N'Dour too, and if this wasn't enough you also get PLAY, the dvd of promo video's. This has the error fixed that the standalone release had where the DTS soundtrack didn't play correctly on a lot of players. great value package really. 5 stars from me for turning what I thought was a fairly poor concert video (POV) into a stunning document of an important point in PG's career.

Paul Stanley: One Live Kiss [DVD] [2008]
Paul Stanley: One Live Kiss [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Louis Antonelli
Offered by RAREWAVES USA
Price: 6.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!!!, 27 Feb 2013
Turgid, soulless and tiresome. His backing band are clearly talented, but have absolutely zero personality, character or expression in their playing. Rock and roll was never supposed to be this dull. Paul Stanley himself keeps on trying to impress us with his voice which was sadly a couple of years into some problems. These days he sounds like he's gargling razor blades such is the damage he has done and continues to do to his voice. It's over, time to leave, Paul.

Dire Straits
Dire Straits
Price: 5.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought., 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dire Straits (Audio CD)
Lets get the fan credentials out of the way first, I was originally a fan of the band from 84 until I got burnt out on the bands overexposure after Brothers In Arms was released. Never listened to the band again......until I got a bit bored last week and listened to a couple of their songs on youtube. This has led to me purchasing their entire works on remastered cd's.

Onto this here debut album. Back in the day I liked a couple of tunes, but not much else. Well all these years later I'm older and more able to appreciate Mark Knopfler's inspiration and roots much more and I have to say this is a great album. Really digging the blues origins of the music set to lyrics that reflect the writers own life experiences. Me likey, me likey a lot.

Gardman Windswept Tree
Gardman Windswept Tree
Price: 19.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 21 Nov 2012
I bought this on the spur of the moment looking at a bare white wall at the top of my stairs. Looks fantastic, quite striking. Good quality, delicate looking, but made to last.

Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace
Offered by wantitcheaper
Price: 7.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Short attention spans..., 20 Nov 2012
Great film. I can't help but wonder if all the moaning about unanswered questions isn't just the Coke Zero fuelled short attention span of the average viewer these days. There is more to come, people, ever consider that ???

Right, this film basically reignites the Alien world in fine fashion. Loved it, bring on another instalment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 11:01 PM GMT

Sounds That Can't Be Made
Sounds That Can't Be Made
Price: 8.57

5.0 out of 5 stars They did it again!!!, 2 Nov 2012
What an album. Yet again Marillion have produced an album that exceeds expectations. As a fan since the first album it makes me proud to have been a part of it for so many years. The evolution of the band has certainly contained both ups & downs, but here I am once more, stunned by another great Marillion album 30 years after my journey begun. Emotional, soaring, searing, this band should be HUGE.

The Thing (2011) [DVD]
The Thing (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 7.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Thing (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
This film was not at all what I expected. Like others, I am a big fan of the John Carpenter's The Thing and had heard pretty tepid reviews upon the release of this prequel. Well what can I say ? This is really good. I loved it, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in this movie imo. It's tense, well paced and the monster effects are impressive. We even get a little look inside the UFO under the ice. The original is a sci fi/horror classic and whilst this isn't going to top that it's very well done. And to think I almost didn't bother based on reviews. Last time I listen to those people.

En Vivo! [DVD] [2012]
En Vivo! [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Iron Maiden
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 50,000 Chileans can't be wrong., 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: En Vivo! [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
50,000 Chileans can't be wrong???.............. In this case they are not wrong. I've been a fan since Killers in 1981 and I was initially skeptical whether I needed another Maiden dvd at this point. It turns out that I did need another. This is a great show. The band are playing at the top of their game, Dickinson shows once more just how powerful his voice still is to this day. Iron Maiden write the book on keeping self respect in the face of advancing years. Great stuff. Other bands take note, this really IS how it's done!!!

Talking Heads -Burning Down Rome [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Talking Heads -Burning Down Rome [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Talking Heads
Offered by barcode bargains
Price: 10.60

5.0 out of 5 stars More!!!, 10 Mar 2012
This dvd is really for the big Talking Heads fans, your average casual fan isn't going to ignore the rough sound or the poor camera work. That being said,if you ARE a big fan of this band like I am then this dvd is quite an important release. The 1980 expanded lineup was really the beginning of the band expanding the audio & visual aspect of their albums & concerts. What began here continued to develop as seen in the later classic Stop Making Sense. Damn this band were good..............and so is this dvd.

Page: 1 | 2