Profile for Koen De Paus > Reviews

Content by Koen De Paus

Koen De Paus "- DaFreak" (Antwerp, Belgium)

Dj Kicks
Dj Kicks
Price: 9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Fireworks in the brain!, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Dj Kicks (Audio CD)
He did it again! It seems that with every release he puts out, his sound morphs into something completely different. The love of my life is the idiots are winning and I had a hard time letting go. I am ashamed to admit that at first I was a bit disappointed to find out that he was moving away from that unbelievably experimental IDM sound or whatever it was called he created with that landmark record. That however did not last long :p

Instead of making a follow up he gives us a mix compiled from very diverse artists, something completely new and different! Again it's very hard to pin this sound down and perhaps we shouldn't even try. This sounds more organic than his previous work. More fluid. Very hypnotic and at times psychedelic.

It's hard to single out individual songs simply because the entire record feels like a whole. It's mixed perfectly together and almost impossible to tell where one song ends and the other begins. There is not a single showstopper on the entire record but there is one that absolutely stands out for me and that is Holden's own remix of Mogwai - The sun smells too loud. This song is,... on youtube I tried to sum it up as "tribal feelings. back to the roots. raw. powerful. life at its peak. struggle. beautiful." but really words can not describe it.

Other highlights are Ursula Bogner with Punkte, Grackle with Disco, Eric Copeland with Auto Dimmer and Maserati with No More Sages. For me those were all new artists I had never even heard of. Caribou's Lemon Yoghurt, Legowelt's Flight of the Jupiter and Kieran Hebden+Steve Reid's Departure were artists I had heard of before but not these tracks and damn they are all great too! Holden's very hypnotic Triangle folds is also one of the best tracks on there although I prefer it on it's own. The ending is epic in an almost mystical kind of way and imo it gets muddied up a bit by the song after it coming into play. Prolly my own fault for playing it way too many times when they released it separately as a promo for this mix album. Piano Magic's intro > awesome...

Yeah I am just going to stop here. I noticed I am listing every song on the cd and hey you can just check that out on amazon itself :p As usual this is a love it or hate it experience although it does continue to grow with each repeated listening. I work at a record store and played this a few time. Some people were really interested in it and others told me to turn down the racket. Give it a shot. I like to think that if you are a science and technology loving hippy, this record is made for you!

Like others have said before me the cover is imo not really a work of art but of course that's personal, don't let that discourage you from giving this record a spin!

The Idiots Are Winning
The Idiots Are Winning

5.0 out of 5 stars 27th century classical music, 5 July 2010
This review is from: The Idiots Are Winning (Audio CD)
I was already a Holden fan before I bought this. I loved Nothing and Come to me, The two tracks holden created together with Julie Thompson... I didn't really like Horizon, solstice and break in the cloud all that much but then again I am not really into trance.

I was in for quite a surprise!
This, this is different. Not only when compared to his previous work but in general. I wouldn't even really know what genre to call this and i guess that's not really important. Most people seem to label this as minimal but somehow that feels really out of place for me. I mean Villalobos is minimal and i really don't like that stuff. This is very layered and textured. I have been coming back to this album for almost 5 years now and I can not get enough of it. Each individual sound and note seems to have been tweaked to make it hit the magic spot. You know the spot where your brain goes liquid. I can't even pick my favorite track. They are all so different and mind bogglingly fresh.

No-one can be told what Holden sounds like, you have to experience it for yourself.

A bit of warning. I would say that out of my group of friends 33% LOVES it and the rest HATES it. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground and I guess it's not for everyone. I don't know if this tells you anything but I am a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails, Velvet Underground, Vitalic, Sigur Ros and Trentemoller. I would assume that if you like any of these bands there is a good chance that you ll find something to love here too. In fact in my head this sounds like Holden found a way to let all these artists play at the same time and using his special magic he somehow makes it work.

Another image that always pops into my head is a dieing machine crying for help and Holden desperately trying to keep it alive. Life is always more beautiful on the edge of death.