Profile for Mytime > Reviews

Content by Mytime

Mytime

Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food (Cloth-covered, flexible binding)
Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food (Cloth-covered, flexible binding)
by Nigel Slater
Price: 11.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful cooking, 6 Mar 2014
I am a fan of Nigel Slater on TV because he produces simple tasty recipes. When I read other reviews of this book there were some warnings about layout, which didn't seem justified to me. However the recipe mix is a bit eclectic and there are quite of lot of difficult to source ingredients. e.g. what is mirin? I had to check it out on the internet and all the pages that turned up were useful, but American, which suggests its not that common in the UK - well not outside London. They did tell me how to produce an alternative (sherry with sugar in it). The book does have quite a lot of easy recipes for using up left overs and that is what I have found it to be most useful for. There is an index at the back of the book and an ingredient search list at the front, making it easy to find recipes. In a world of cookbook overload this is not an essential book to have, but if you like Nigel Slater's style of cooking it covers a lot of different ingredients and cooking styles and might become a go-to book.

Easy Knitting: Vintage and Retro
Easy Knitting: Vintage and Retro
by Nicki Trench
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely vintage style, 6 Mar 2014
This book is a mix of vintage home ware, clothing and accessories. Almost every pattern is one I would like to knit, but my absolute favourite is the pink 50s style sweater. It is so lovely and obviously has to be knitted in ..PINK. My home ware favourite is the lacy shelf edging. I have already used another pattern to make shelf edging for one kitchen cupboard, but I'll be using this Nicky Trench pattern for the rest. It is so retro and very similar to the edging I remember being in my granny's pantry. All in all this book is excellent value for money, much better that buying a couple of magazines, well laid out with easy to follow instructions and beautiful photographs. Terrific!

Gifted
Gifted
by Mags Kandis
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gifted a joy, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gifted (Paperback)
I love the way this book is set out and the range of lovely little projects it contains. From the ribbed hat with its cute embellishment to the felted trivet and coaster set, it is full of things I will knit or crochet, or even sew if I forget what I've put in the wash and shrink a wooly. It is not just the projects that make this book a treat, it is the way the patterns are set out, which at first I thought a bit strange, but on closer reading seems better that the way they are usually written; the introduction to the book and the individual patterns as well as the glorious illustrations and the smattering of recipes. I even went as far as carrying the book with me, instead of a magazine, to read when I stopped for coffee. The only thing care is needed for is converting the American yarn types to British. I will be looking out for more books by Mags Kandis. Well done to her for creating a delight.

4 HP364XL Original Printer Ink Cartridges - For use with HP Deskjet D5400 D5445 D5460 Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One 6510 e All in One 7510 B109 B109A B109N B110 B110A B110C B110D B110E B110F B209 B209A B209N B8500 B8550 B8553 B8558 C309 C309A C309G C5300 C5324 C5370 C5373 C5380 C5383 C5388 C5390 C5393 C6300 C6324 C6350 C6380 C6383 C7380 D5463 D5468 D7560 Plus B B209B B209C C C309B C309C CN216B Premium AIO B209a B209b C309a C309g FAX PRO Wireless B109a B109n CN245B - Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Bl
Offered by Allday Officesupplies UK ( Vat Registered )
Price: 54.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading reviews is useful, 27 May 2013
I had bought ordinary HP printer ink cartridges before through Amazon and was concerned about the low number of printed pages achieved before they ran out. Although the cartridges were much cheaper than the ones needed for my previous printer they would become very expensive if they had to be replaced often. On the basis of the reviews I read I decided to order large cartridges which were reported to give much higher numbers of printed pages and to avoid any very cheap offers because of short use by dates. The cartridges arrived in good order and have a use by date of March 2015 giving me plenty of time to use them. So far I have only had to replace the previous black cartridge and am keeping an eye on its lifetime. I am glad I read the reviews as I didn't know there were such things as 'large' printer ink cartridges. Yes they cost more, but might be cheaper in the long run.

75 Crocheted Floral Blocks: Beautiful Patterns to Mix and Match for Throws, Accessories, Baby Blankets and More
by Betty Barnden
Price: 8.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many crochet blocks?, 27 May 2013
The reason I bought this book is that I saw the triangular scarf in a magazine and liked it, but unfortunately the pattern was not given. I was going to see if the pattern was on Ravelry, but I found the book on Amazon and the 'look inside' view made the book look a useful addition to my small collection of knitting and crochet books. I will probably make the scarf, but I am not sure that I will make any of the other blocks even though they are lovely. I think this is a book for an avid crocheter and not for someone like me who dips into it now and then. At the moment I can't think how to make use of the blocks. For me this is just too many blocks.

Decorate Workshop: A Creative 8 Step Process for Transforming Your Home
Decorate Workshop: A Creative 8 Step Process for Transforming Your Home
by Holly Becker
Price: 20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple help, 28 Mar 2013
I bought this book because of other good reviews and was a bit disappointed when it arrived. However I have found its straightforward advice helpful - sorting through the large pile of magazine pictures I've kept over the years and as a result identifying ' my style' & measuring more throughly. Some of the photos and note pages were also useful. I keep all the paint cards, fabric samples & information brochures in plastic wallets , but they could be better organised. In general if, like me, you don't have a like minded person to talk to about your ideas this book is helpful. Very American.

Kirstie's Vintage Home
Kirstie's Vintage Home
by Kirstie Allsopp
Price: 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars My kind of home, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Kirstie's Vintage Home (Hardcover)
I have been watching Kirstie Allsopp's shows for a while and have been taken along by her enthusiasm for every thing hand made. I used to make a lot of of clothes both sewn and knitted and soft furnishings, but got out of the habit. Gradually I've got back to knitting and have wanted to do more to recycle stuff in my home. This book (of a TV series) is full of useful projects that anyone who can thread a needle or use a paint brush can do themselves. The instructions are clear and simple to follow, although in some cases they may set off an idea in the reader which goes at a tangent to the project actually described. About 50% of the projects are relevant to me and my home and about half of the rest have given me ideas. As well as the projects there is a wealth of information about where to source materials and recycled objects and how to use and display them and make your own vintage home. The book is well laid out and has its own vintage feel. This book will help anyone who has the time and inclination to make home made changes in their own home.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2013 1:53 PM BST

Earth Girl (Earth Girl Trilogy 1)
Earth Girl (Earth Girl Trilogy 1)
by Janet Edwards
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for teens, 21 Nov 2012
I bought this book out of curiosity after seeing a lot about it on the internet, not being the target age group. It is a very well crafted book containing good imagery and characterisations and a story line that leads the reader on to want to know more about the lead character, Jarra, and the world she lives in. The book builds to a great climax and ends well. Apparently two more books have been commissioned and should be worth reading. This is a very good read for teens who are into Si-Fi, its target group, but also has something to attract young readers who haven't yet got into this genre. Enjoy!