Profile for Kiran_mk2 > Reviews

Content by Kiran_mk2

Kiran_mk2 "kiran_mk2" (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Inov8 British Made Traditional Picture/Photo Frame, 12x8-inch, Value Black
Inov8 British Made Traditional Picture/Photo Frame, 12x8-inch, Value Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, 12 Oct. 2014
It's quite hard to find a 12x8 frame and some reviews have suggested that this doesn't fit photos of this size very well but I found the fit to be just about perfect. I haven't hung the picture as it on a table, but looks smart and doesn't detract attraction from the photo.

Hama Fix Ultraslim TV Wall Mount Medium Black
Hama Fix Ultraslim TV Wall Mount Medium Black

4.0 out of 5 stars but it is very easy to fix, 12 Oct. 2014
Finding a TV wall mount is difficult. There are just so many to pick from. I faced this problem when mounting my Samsung 32F5000. I was initially wondering about one of the picture-frame type systems but the Samsung one was over £60 and I frankly didn't trust the cheaper ones not to break. In the end I went with this frame. It's not the thinnest and there is no tilt, but it is very easy to fix. My wall is plasterboard and the position I wanted the screen had no suitable stud beam behind it so I used the butterfly-type wallplugs that can be picked up from the likes of Homebase (note I also needed a tool to hold them in position whilst screwing to get them to splay outwards - there is a dedicated screen mounting pack that includes this but uses 80 mm wallplugs which not many drills support). Once attached to the wall the TV mounted without issue and the frame felt incredibly sturdy. There is a bar to put through the frame to prevent the screen being removed but I found this is next to impossible to thread through the slots due to the small gap between the screen and wall. I recommend some 90 degree adaptors to help route the cables to the ports.

Dolry HiFi Stone - 30 pin AirPlay adapter receiver with Wi-Fi
Dolry HiFi Stone - 30 pin AirPlay adapter receiver with Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product with a few bugs, 9 April 2014
As soon as Apple announced Airplay in 2010 I had an idea for a product like this - that would add airplay compatibility to existing docks. After all, why buy another expensive dock when you have one that works perfectly? Given the amount of time its taken for this device to reach the market I sort of wish I'd patented the idea and developed it myself! But here we are with the Dolry HiFi Stone, a small black box that plus into any 30-pin dock (that charges via the USB circuit) and can either generate its own WiFi network or connect to you home WiFi network to allow you iOS and OSX devices to stream audio to it.

The picture makes the unit look quite big so I was a bit worried about compatibility with my dock (Klipsch iGroove SXT) but the unit is no thicker or wider than an iPhone so I imagine it will fit any dock. As mentioned above it will only work with "2nd generation" docks (i.e. those that charge via the 5 V USB interface - iPhone 3G onwards). "1st generation" docks (those that charge via the 12 V Firewire interface - original iPhone) will not power the unit but I believe that a charging adaptor such as the Scosche passPORT will enable this unit to work with your older dock.

Once fitted for the first time the unit is supposed to generate its own WiFi network which you connect to on your iOS device to continue the setup. On my unit however this didn't happen - I got a constantly blinking white light. There is a little reset button on the top of the unit which can be pressed with a pencil or paperclip. On holding this down for ~10 seconds the unit rebooted and acted as required (solid white light) - if your unit doesn't show up in you WiFi list at first, give this a try. On downloading the Dolry app from the app store you can then get the unit to connect to your home WiFi and rename the unit (to differentiate it from any other Airplay devices you've got). Once the unit has rebooted it will connect to you WiFi and will appear as an Airplay destination on your device.

In use I have actually found that when sending music to it there can be a bit of stutter/break-up for the first song (don't know if it's buffering) After this the unit is fine for the rest of the session. My flat isn't too big so I don't think it's a WiFi issue (I have a dual band 11n network). This is why I've knocked a star off.

Overall this is a great way to breathe some life back into that expensive dock system, especially if it is gathering dust if you've moved to a Lightning iOS device. For £40, it's a lot cheaper than spending likely over £100 on a new dock!

Update - Literally the week after I wrote this review, the unit started playing up - the sound would break up regularly and then stop. On checking my phone it appeared that it had lost the Airplay link. Selecting the Dolry device again and restarting the song led to the same problem within a minute or so. Unplugging and rebooting the device had no effect. In the end I reset the device and ran through the setup again. This seems to have fixed the issue so if you constantly see the device dropping off your airplay network give this a go. In the 4-5 months since I did this I haven't had to repeat it - I occasionally pull the device out of my dock overnight every couple of months but it is much more reliable now.

Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Friends - Season 1-10 Complete Collection (15th Anniversary) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Aniston

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic series for a bargain price, 28 Dec. 2013
I picked this set up when the price was around £30. That works out at £3 a season! I grew up with Friends and am a big fan obvious as I bought the box set). Having said that I can understand why people don't like it - during season 4 the writers seemed to run out of ideas and pushed a lot of jokes to rely too-heavily on the characteristics of the main 6. Thus Ross became overly whiny and annoying, Phoebe became too 'kooky', Monica became the kind of nut-case people go out of their way to avoid and Joey became almost unbelievably stupid. Things pick up again by season 7 or 8.
The package is also a step up from the old series releases. The sound is now 5.0 surround rather than stereo and the episodes are the extended editions that were found on the US DVD releases. This can be a bit jarring if you know the episodes well (above and beyond the risqué jokes E4 used to cut out) and a new scene is in. They are mostly just the odd extra line but occasionally there are new B and C-stories such as Rachel's love of dining alone in restaurants. There's not much in the way of extras and the picture quality of the early seasons is very fuzzy but I get the feeling this is just due to how they were filmed and the low initial budget.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game with a weak ending, 28 Dec. 2013
I was never into the first Deus Ex games as they seemed to be a bit too involved for me but the amazing trailers for this instalment looked too good to pass up. If you're into science fiction it's a great story where everything isn't as it may seem and there is no good or bad - just shades of grey. The multiple ways to play let you tune your style of play - get around problems using cunning, a fast mouth, hacking or with guns blazing or any mixture you like. Many people have mentioned the boss fights are being a let down and I agree that given the freedom of the rest of the game affords you having to adapt to the guns-blazing method for these sections seems a bit odd. I believe that the 'director's cut' version of the game sorts this problem out but I haven't played that version. For me the main problem is that the final level of the game is very dull. There are no real enemies to deal with and the few that are there can easily be subdued by your levelled up augmentations. It's very sad as it feels like the programmers ran out of time a bit (I've heard another level was removed from the game for time reasons). However, given the hours of entertainment you will get from most of the game (especially the Hengsha levels and military base levels) I can forgive this. Here's hoping another title will be forthcoming!

Belkin Grip Sleeve for iPad in Purple (Compatible with New Apple iPad 3rd Generation HD)
Offered by iGADGET_XCHANGE

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fit for 9.7" iPads upto the 4th generation (2012 model), 28 Dec. 2013
This case is a great fit for my iPad 2 - nice and tight so the iPad (with smart cover fitted) can't jiggle around inside too much but not so tight so it gets scratched by the zip. I'm not sure how the new, smaller iPad Air would cope though and an iPad Mini would be too small. One star off as the case has a weird feel to it - almost like it's wet which can cause a bit of panic when you're not used to it!

Kryptonite Bike Lock with 4-Feet Kryptoflex Cable
Kryptonite Bike Lock with 4-Feet Kryptoflex Cable

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lock, lousy attachment system, 28 Dec. 2013
In the year I've owned this lock it's been very reliable. My bike hasn't been stolen yet (unlike my last one with a mid-price Halfords lock) and the key doesn't jam in the lock like it can with cheaper locks. I do have to say my bike is stored in a locked biked shed at night and undercover at work so the lock hasn't been exposed to the full range of elements yet. What does let the whole package down is the method of attaching the lock to your bike. A fabric strap is soaked and pulled tight around the frame and held in place with the clip. The idea is that as the strap dries it will shrink and tighten even more. The problem comes as the clip is very tight and it can be a struggle to remove the lock from it (especially when it's raining!). Over a few months this constant shimmying works the fabric strap loose until the lock starts flapping around when you cycle requiring the installation to be repeated.

Micro USB Retractable Charger Data Cable For Kindle 3
Micro USB Retractable Charger Data Cable For Kindle 3
Offered by Fly Service

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have around, 28 Dec. 2013
Most phones/Kindles etc now use a micro-USB connection for charging so this cable is great to keep around. Thanks to its retractable nature it's very compact. You will need some kind of charging source (probably a USB port on computer). You can even charge your device from some creative sources - bedside clock radios, hotel room TVs, games consoles and even some aeroplane seats have USB ports you can use. One star off due to the short length of the cable.

Ghost in The Shell: SAC Solid State Society OVA Double Play [Blu-ray]
Ghost in The Shell: SAC Solid State Society OVA Double Play [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kenji Kamiyama

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a massive upgrade from the DVD, 28 Dec. 2013
I'm not going to talk about the OVA itself (that's very subjective) but will instead concentrate on the blu ray as a whole. I'm a massive fan of Ghost in the Shell and the Stand-Alone Complex series in particular so I pounced on the DVD set when it first came out. I had an impressive range of features including English and Japanese DTS sound and a lot of special features. I considered long and hard about upgrading to the Blu-Ray but gave in when the price dipped below £9. First the bad news - the picture isn't that much better than the DVD. Animated films on DVD always look very good so even with the increased resolution of Blu Ray the picture is only a bit sharper to my eyes. I'm sure if you did side-by-side comparisons you would see a difference, but I can't say that the difference is worth upgrading for. The audio is now Dolby TrueHD which means if you don't have an HD audio decoder you will get Dolby Digital audio rather than DTS on the DVD. One nice touch is that by default there are captions that translate some of the Japanese text that appears on screen (don't think that was on the DVD) and all the other DVD features have been carried over. To sum up it's a great buy but think hard if you already have the DVD version.

Singapore Encounter (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Singapore Encounter (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
by Joshua Samuel Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic pocket-sized book, 28 Dec. 2013
I'm fully aware that as we are now fully into the information age, the idea of a guide book is a bit odd as it's out of date as soon as you get it - indeed even this book has now been replaced by a new range. I cut my teeth with Hong Kong Encounter which didn't fail me and got us into the off-the tourist trail places so when I had a family holiday to Singapore I headed straight for the Encounters brand. Lots of information on culture, things to do, see and places to eat and how to get around. Everything is broken down by area and a pull-out map is also enclosed (although these are a pain to fold back up). The small size also lets you slip it into a back pocket or small bag with ease. It should be noted that as we already had accommodation planned I didn't look at that section of the book.

Page: 1 | 2