Profile for Toby Fyfe > Reviews

Content by Toby Fyfe

Toby Fyfe (Swanstrom, NC)

King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, Book 2)
King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, Book 2)
by Raymond E. Feist

3.0 out of 5 stars Anything Feist is good, 2 Feb. 2006
Not his best to be sure, but still well worth the time to read. I think his best series to date is the Serpentwar Saga. I especially liked the Merchant Prince where Roo goes from dirt poor to the richest man in the kingdoms.
His books continue to entertain and I have yet to find one which didn't satisfy my hunger for action/adventure.
The Unsuspecting Mage by Brian S. Pratt is another beginning to a great epic fantasy series. It being his first work ever published, it's a little rough, but the storyline and action more than make up for it. If you like sword fighting, battle, magic and gods, you will like this book. Give it a try.

Heart Choice (Berkley Sensation)
Heart Choice (Berkley Sensation)
by Robin D Owens
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually liked it, 2 Feb. 2006
When a friend of mine sugeested that I read this book, I was at first very reticent. After all, it was about 'Heartmates'. I realize now that it is so much more than that, but that is what I keyed into at first. I like action adventure, not love stories. But this isn't just a love story, as I thought of it. There's plenty of action and intrigue to satisfy even the most jaded of readers.
Don't let the word 'Heartmates' scare you away as it almost did me.
If you like epic fantasy, you may wish to give The Unsuspecting Mage from newcomer to the genre, Brian S. Pratt a try. Oh sure, it's a bit rought, but the story it well thought out and the action intense(for those of you who like that sort of stuff) Gods, empires, war, battles, secret passages, it's got it all. I would heartily reccomend it.

Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle)
Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Feb. 2006
This work, as well as it's predecessor is a well crafted work. I only gave it three stars because of some of the interchange between characters which I didn't care for. Now, don't think it wasn't bad, it just wasn't my 'style'.
This work is good, and if you like fantasy, you should give it a try.
Another author whose praises I've been singing lately is newcomer, Brian S. Pratt. His debut novel, The Unsuspecting Mage is really quite a fun romp. It's epic fantasy at it's best, oh sure, it's a little rough it being his first book and all, but the story is sound. If you like battles, magic, gods, secret passages, or just plain role playing games, you'd be well advised to give it a try.

Labyrinth
Labyrinth
by Kate Mosse

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 2 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Labyrinth (Paperback)
Now I thought this would be so much more than what it was. Maybe I'm just old fashioned in that I like a book to entertain, but I'm probably just odd. This book failed to even remotely entertain me. In fact, I'd have to say it did the opposite (snore!)
Now if you want a good, entertaining romp in the grand ole style of epic fantasy, try The Unsuspecting Mage by newcomer on the scene, Brian S. Pratt. Now I have to admit, it being his first book and all, it's somewhat rough, but the story is sound, the action exciting. If you like fantasy with gods, magic, wars, empires, etc. you really should try it.

Fires of Prophecy: Book Two of the Morcyth Saga
Fires of Prophecy: Book Two of the Morcyth Saga
by Brian S Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars More intense than the first one!, 1 Feb. 2006
The second installment of Mr. Pratt's epic fantasy series, Morcyth Saga, is even more intense than the first.

Basic story premise: At the end of the previous book, Miko, James friend and companion, is captured by the slavers during the fall of The City of Light. James plans to rescue his friend. He has the help of two knife fighters, Jiron and Tinok who developed their skill in the Fight Pits of the City of Light.

In this book Mr. Pratt explores some of the consequences of being a slave and shows the misery and horror of being one. By the end of the book the reader learns to hate the Empire and everything it stands for.

James goes from city to city within the Empire in the guise of a caravan merchant from Cardri and causes no end of trouble. The scenes in the cities are especially exciting, such as when they are discovered and have to fight their way out. Fortunately, James has surrounded himself with capable people.

More visits from the enigmatic little creature make you wonder just what his roll is. Are his visits clues, or just pointless entertainment? Don't want to spoil it.

James continues to develop in his magic, creating more interesting and increasingly devastating spells. Again he draws from his repertoire of spells from his role playing days to save his life.

This book is a must read for anyone who read the first one. It doesn't end in a cliffhanger as the first one, but in the end introduces a new level of challenge that James will face in the third installment. It is action packed and intense.

The Belgariad (Vol 1): Volume One: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit
by David Eddings

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it 15 years ago, still good today, 29 Jan. 2006
This series was one of the very first I read when first entering the genre of fantasy. Belgarion is a good hero who has a hard time of it. I fell for the magic and how he works it. Many others through the years have enthralled me, but not to the degree this series did.
Happily I've found another series that you all may enjoy as much. It's by a newcomer on the scene of fantasy, Brian S. Pratt. His first book The Unsuspecting Mage is quite exciting with many unusually unexpected happenings. War, magic, gods etc. Fun stuff.

The Two Swords (Forgotten Realms: Hunter's Blades Trilogy)
The Two Swords (Forgotten Realms: Hunter's Blades Trilogy)
by R. A. Salvatore
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!, 29 Jan. 2006
I love this type of adventure story. Action, battles, etc. Anyone who likes such types of stories will enjoy it.
I found another series by Brian S Pratt that those who liked these may enjoy as well. The Unsuspecting Mage is a fast paced action adventure with gods, magic etc. True epic in the making!!

Darkwar (1) - Flight of the Night Hawks
Darkwar (1) - Flight of the Night Hawks
by Raymond E. Feist

4.0 out of 5 stars Another of Feist's best, 29 Jan. 2006
I bought this book and excitedly set to read it. Two days later, it was over. Couldn't put it down. I loved the continuation of some of the old favorites, can't get enough of Nakor and his philosophy.
Anyone who enjoyed any of Feist's other works will surely love this one.
Another book I'd reccomend it The Unsuspecting Mage by Brian S Pratt. It begins a great series and was another I could hardly put down.