Profile for K. Crockett > Reviews

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death: A Novel
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death: A Novel
by Charlie Huston

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 24 July 2009
I am a little disappointed Charlie Huston has not caught on a bit more in the UK. He is a brilliant pulp writer and his books are always an enjoyable, exciting and fast read.

I would though have to agree with the negative points from a previous reviewer. The action and suspense were not up to level with books like The Shotgun Rule and Caught Stealing. But that doesn't mean it isn't much better than the majority of what is going these days. It was tough to like the main character, Web, or anyone else really except for the big Po Sin.

While you wait for Huston's next - I fully recommend Josh Bazell's first book - Beat the Reaper. Fantastic book in the same vein.

Beat The Reaper
Beat The Reaper
by Josh Bazell

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the mind vacation, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Beat The Reaper (Paperback)
I loved this book. I'm never one for writing book reviews as I don't always have much to say beyond "Loved it, Liked it, Hated it" but I wanted to quickly say that I found this book to be a terrific read. I have a number of reading interests - and generally squeeze some pulp-type thrillers in between more heavy things around classic history or current events. This book was a delight to read - witty and suspense filled. It made me laugh - which rarely happens with a book - even when it is quite funny - and it made me keep reading, finishing it in near record time.

If you're looking for someone similar in style - check out Charlie Huston. I am amazed that Huston has not been discovered in the UK yet. Start with Caught Stealing and move on from there.