Profile for Gemma > Reviews

Content by Gemma
Top Reviewer Ranking: 563

Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips SHQ1200/10 ActionFit Sweatproof Ultra Light Sports Headphones - In-Ear (New for 2013)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sporty headphones, 6 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When it comes to headphones to wear at the gym or out running, I'm really not fussy. I don't like those clips that are nearly always on 'sport' headphones, and I don't like ear buds that stick right into my ears (I like to be able to hear cars!) so these headphones are already ticking boxes for me. To be honest at the price they are, I wasn't expecting much but I'm always using my bog standard Apple headphones that came with my iPhone anyway so anything is probably better than them.

They're light, which is great, and whilst they are 'sweatproof' I never find sweat to be a problem with my headphones anyway. The colour of them could probably be better, a little too boring for me.

Sound wise, they're good! I'm not after some fancy sound whilst I'm out running, as I mentioned before I still like to hear noise around me, so these fulfill my needs. The little pouch that comes with them is great, my headphones usually end up lying around getting tangled in my gym bag.

If like me, you aren't too fussy, then give these a go especially at this price.

Lexar 16GB JumpDrive S70 USB Flash Drive Memory Stick
Lexar 16GB JumpDrive S70 USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Flash Drive!, 6 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK so I didn't bother with the software. I need my USB pen to store files, often videos, which I then plug into my TV. It does the job. I like that there's no lid to have lying around and inevitably become lost.

Queen's Gambit
Queen's Gambit
by Elizabeth Fremantle

4.0 out of 5 stars The one who survived. Just., 6 April 2013
This review is from: Queen's Gambit (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I feel the Tudor period has probably been done to death by now, though it was refreshing to see a book about Catherine Parr. For anyone who knows their Tudor history, they will know the story of Catherine Parr, the last Queen of Henry VIII. I enjoyed Fremantle's telling of her story and her twist and ideas on events that happened. It was an enjoyable read, even if the middle did start getting a bit boring, but the ending recovered it for me.

Highly recommended for fans of historical fiction from this era, if you're not getting tired of it.

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select Razor
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Power Select Razor
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the vibration really add anything?, 6 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When not using his electric shaver, he usually sticks with disposable razors. He's not sold by any of the fancy adverts claiming the cloest shave ever with a million different types of blades. Still, he was positive when he received this and keen to give it a go. Noticing the claims of the 3 different vibration speed settings, he was skeptical, and remains that way. Since using the razor, he's tried out the vibration a few times, but he feels it really doesn't make any difference when shaving.

He liked the blade, and admitted it felt far nicer than his usualy disposables!

He admits he will keep using the razor, but he's not sold on the vibrating function and rarely uses it.

The Rough Guide to New York City
The Rough Guide to New York City
by Andrew Rosenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good guide, 7 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Used this on my third trip to New York, and learnt some great new things from it. It was also nice to flick through and read. The maps are really handy. The subway map could have been better, it would have been easier if they used the actual subway map as the 'simplified' version it uses is a bit confusing when nyou're not used to it.

Really liked the breakdown of areas, especially when looking for bars or restaurants in certain areas. Some of the information was off, the 'suggested' admission price to the Met was incorrect by $5. This often happens though with guide books.

Highly recommend this for a first time or regular visit to NYC.

The Queen's Confidante
The Queen's Confidante
by Karen Harper

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after the Queen's Governess, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Queen's Confidante (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes for The Queen's Confidante after enjoying Harper's 'The Queen's Governess' previously. Unfortunately this book didn't live up to expectations. This was mostly because I found the story unbelieveable and too far fetched. I know it's historical fiction, and I don't mind a bit of a twist on fact, but this was just a bit too silly in places for me to take it seriously.

The book starts well where we meet widow Varina Wescott a candle maker that runs a successful shop. Because of how successful she is, the Queen sends for her to carry out a secret project. The project however is just a bit silly.

The book covers the death of Prince Arthur (was he or wasn't he murdered) and Varina ends up going on an investigative mission for the King and Queen to Ludlow to find out the facts behind Arthur's death. She is accompanied by Nick Sutton, who is trying to prove himself to the King following his families previous Yorkist loyalties. The book also covers the mystery of the Princes in the Tower.

The book ends quite hurriedly, and it makes the book feel rushed too. The ending again to me seemed unbelieveable, especially the parts when Varina is infront of the King.

The book seems well researched but it's just not well written. I really enjoyed The Queen's Governess so would encourage people to read that.

D'Addario Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Accessories Pro Pack
D'Addario Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Accessories Pro Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, 28 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is quite expensive but the items you get in this kit are really good. My partner was in need of new string for his guitar, and he was pleasantly surprised to receive this from me. He already has some of the items included, and he didn't need a guitar strap or cable, but the tuner has replaced his old one.

I would say if they already have some of the items, then it will be cheaper to buy what you do need seprately. As a 'beginners pack' though this would contain everything you need.

Breakdown: A Love Story
Breakdown: A Love Story
by Katherine Amt Hanna

4.0 out of 5 stars A more personal post-apocalyptic story, 28 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoy reading post-apocalyptic fiction so this book seemed right up my street. However this book was a bit different, and instead we focus more on the people living in this world, learning to deal with the past and move forward. I really enjoyed it!

The book centers around the main character of Chris. I really enjoyed reading what happened in the past and didn't mind the way the book could go from past to present. Present day Chris meets Pauline, they grow close but Chris has troubles forgetting his wife and child, and still wears his wedding ring.

It was a very enoyable read and I recommend it to the fans of the genre for something a bit different, as this book focuses mainly on the people rather than the broken world around them.

Belkin EaseFit Armband for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black
Belkin EaseFit Armband for iPhone 5 and 5s - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars What have they done!, 12 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had the previous model of this, made for the iPhone4S. I used it regularly through out the summer whilst training for a half marathon. Unfortunately after one too many washes part of the velcro came off. I'd been meaning to super glue it back together again for ages but when I was offered this through Vine I jumped at the chance. I stupidly threw my old one away!

This version can just gone down hill since the previous version. Gone is the flap that covers the top of your phone (offering some protection against rain... and it rained at the start of the Great North Run so without it I may have had a damaged iphone!). I can't understand why Belkin removed this as it now leaves the iPhone exposed!

I also use an iPhone4S in this rather than an iPhone5, which is fine, but due to it missing a flap I'm going to purchase the previous version again. It's also obviously larger than the iPhone4S so as uncomfortable as it is anyway wearing one of these things round your arm whilst out running, its now even worse.

The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory Novels)
The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory Novels)
by Carol O'Connell

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing too exciting, 10 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book I've read by this author, and this particular book is 10th in the series with Detective Kathy Mallory. It did read quite well as a stand alone, but there was clearly quite a bit of back story to this character which was often hinted at, and I was often confused about her relationship with other characters as a result.

I never got too excited reading this, it was distinctly average. The Mallory character annoyed me quite a bit, and preferred the many parts when she wasn't centre stage. The other characters were more believeable, Mallory wasn't.

The story involves a serial killer leaving bodies in Central Park. At the start we also meet a young girl named Coco who has Williams syndrome. This was an interesting part of the book as it was something I hadn't heard of before.

I'm not in a rush to go out and read any of the other books in the series, as I was quite underwhelmed with this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20