Profile for Gemma > Reviews

Content by Gemma
Top Reviewer Ranking: 761

Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser OCX 685i Sports In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The clip is not adjustable, 26 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got these for my partner for when out running. I prefer to just use normal headphones but he likes the ear clips.

He was dead pleased to receive these as he has looked at them in the past. Unfortunately for him they're unusable. His current headphones are adjustable so he can extend the clip and ensure a perfect fit around the ear. These ones you can't adjust at all, they're one size fits all. He can't use them for out running as they were uncomfortable and he had to keep fidgeting with them.

He did comment that the sound quality is really good, and its such a shame for him that he can't use them. The plugs themselves on the earphones were fine, it's only the clip he has a problem with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 11:56 AM GMT

Sacred Treason
Sacred Treason
by James Forrester

1.0 out of 5 stars Just can't get into this one!, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sacred Treason (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a fan of historical fiction set in Tudor times, and indeed I'm a huge fan of the Shardlake series by Sansom set in this time period. When this book was offered to me through Amazon Vine and sold as a one for fans of Sansom, I jumped at the chance to try it.

This was many months ago and several times now I've started reading this, lost interest, come back to it a month or two later, lost interest again.... You get the picture.

It just doesn't compare to the Shardlake series at all. It's not gripping at all and I find myself not caring about the characters or storyline.

Give it a miss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 3:28 PM GMT

Lonely Planet Pocket Barcelona (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Barcelona (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy guide!, 9 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am planning my first time trip to Barcelona and so I was pleased to see this guidebook pop up on Amazon Vine.

The book is small and compact so easy to carry around, but is full of information and ideas. It gives ideas of intineraries for short stays in the city which is most helpful for figuring out the best order to do things in. I also like how for each area it gives you an idea of where to stop off for food.

It's split down into individual areas with sights to see, shops, food etc. along with a small map of the area. At the back is also a large pull out map too. I like that it has ideas for less touristy bars too.

There's also otrher information too on the airport, what you should tip, handy Catalan phrases etc.

I can see this book being well used on my upcoming trip and highly recommend it!

Noise of Strangers, The
Noise of Strangers, The
by Robert Dickinson
Price: 6.88

3.0 out of 5 stars The strange world of Brighton, 24 Oct 2012
The Noise of Strangers is set in Brighton, but it's not the Brighton we know of today. Instead the upper classes (generally council workers) live in gated communities and race to work in cars along expensive tolls roads.

The book mainly focuses around a group of couples, who seem to take turns to host dinner at their homes and gossip about each other behind one another's backs. They all work for either the council, in various departments, or for Amex, the only company left in Brighton. In between this we read about council meetings, newspaper articles, letters from citizens of Brighton which really break up the chapters and add further insight, often quite amusing, into this town.

It took me a while to get used to the weird world this book is set in, and I was completely confused by the couples and their names at first. I came to look forward though to the minutes of the rather hilarious council meetings and the newspaper articles from the unlicensed newspaper and I feel Robert Dickinson really made this book that much more enjoyable by adding these parts in.

The Guilty One
The Guilty One
by Lisa Ballantyne
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Guilty One (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Daniel Hunter works as a solicitor in London. He is given the case of defending an 11 year old boy, Sebastian, who is accused of murdering a young boy. Daniel is used to cases involving 15 year olds involved with gangs, but as he becomes involved with Sebastian and his home life, this brings back Daniel's troubled childhood memories.

The book alternates between present day Daniel working on Sebastian's case and between Daniel as a child and starting out with a new foster parent. At first I really enjoyed the view into Daniel's past more than what was happening in the present. This changed as towards the end of the book is Sebastian's trial and it shows what is happening each day at court.

Daniel grew up as a child in Newcastle and coming from the north east myself, the references to local accents often gave me a smile. The author really made this story believeable, and at times its very haunting. It had me gripped.

Rampart [DVD]
Rampart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Price: 1.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Rampart [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I personally found this film quite boring and it just was not for me. I agree with other reviews about the slow storyline, and I wasn't interested in the characters either.

Midnight in Peking: The Murder That Haunted the Last Days of Old China
Midnight in Peking: The Murder That Haunted the Last Days of Old China
by Paul French

3.0 out of 5 stars Who killed Pamela?, 6 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed learning about old Peking when reading this book. It was something I can never read about before and the book gave me lots of detail, especially with the complicated politics of the time!

I liked how the book was set out. The first half was about Pamela's murder and the following investigation with DCI Dennis. As a reader I agreed with all mostly all the conclusions DCI Dennis drew, however there were some parts I felt should have been investigated further. We also learnt a little bit more about Pamela and Werner, her father.

The second half was the investigation that Werner carried out himself. However he was paying witnesses to give their stories, so not 100% credible, so by the end it did leave me wondering who did kill Pamela and why.

Very enjoyable read, though I didn't feel gripped by the book as a whole.

Breville Extreme Steam VIN170 Steam Generator - 2,400 Watts
Breville Extreme Steam VIN170 Steam Generator - 2,400 Watts
Offered by Pricelover Deals
Price: 108.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy iron!, 6 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had been using the Philips GC7420 Pressurised Steam Generator Iron, 800 Watt iron (also reviewed) however when this Breville model was available on Vine my first thought was how fancy and modern it looked!

On arrival and opening the box it does look very snazzy in real life. It lights up in various places when you're using it and just has a more nicer overall appearance than my old Philips. I was also quite impressed at the various buttons which are all self explanatory.

I love how the steam can be released using a trigger, this made it so much easier, but you can also 'lock' it to provide continous steam. The iron itself is also quite light, though of course once it's on its base it's quite heavy to carry around. The removeable water resevoir is very handy if you don't want to fill your iron up via a jug.

The only downside to this iron for me personally is how loud it is! It's so much more louder than the Philips iron we used to have. We live in a flat with a very loud buzzer telephone system. There has been several occasions where my partner was using the iron and I jumped up and went to the telephone system thinking someone was buzzing, but it's been the iron! It's taking a lot to get used to, it actually drives my partner up the wall and he's took to ironing with headphones in. This is the only reason I have a docked a star.

Overall a good decent iron, it's just very loud.

SMS Audio STREET by 50 Cent In-Ear Headphones - Black
SMS Audio STREET by 50 Cent In-Ear Headphones - Black
Offered by Bert's Boiler
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic headphones, 30 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite amazed at the flat headphone wire for these headphones, and they are fantastic at staying tangle free. I often spend a good few minutes digging headphones out of my bag on the train or at the gym and trying to untangle them. But of course, it's just the cable that makes good headphones.

The headphones themselves are excellent. Great punchy sound and the bass for these types of headphones is good. I'm very impressed.

They also come with a case which is great, I usually leave my headphones loose in a bag but this case helps stop them from being accidentally damaged. I also really like the blue and black colour theme to these headphones, they look very stylish. They get the thumbs up from me.

Fujifilm Single Use Marine Camera
Fujifilm Single Use Marine Camera
Offered by Lovely Gifts
Price: 11.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for snorkelling in Egypt!, 22 July 2012
I wasn't too fussed about high quality underwater photos so just took this camera along on holiday. We got some quite good photos with it. OK they're not digital camera quality but for the price you pay they're fine!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20