Profile for Gemma > Reviews

Content by Gemma
Top Reviewer Ranking: 587

Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Low Life
Low Life
by Ryan David Jahn

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit different, 3 April 2012
This review is from: Low Life (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simon comes home to his apartment to an intruder who wants to kill him. Instead, Simon kills him and sets about finding out why. Simon as a character isn't very likeable.
It sounds good, and the book itself was a bit different. For me, it gets really weird. By the end I'm left feeling a bit deflated, and it's the let down to this book which I would otherwise recommend.

Gear4 Halo 2 Alarm Clock Docking Station Compatible with iPhone 4, 4S, iPod Nano 5th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and simple!, 15 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This new alarm dock replaced my older more chunkier one, and I love this more slim and sleek design.

The sound from the dock speakers isn't so bad, but I do mainly use this as an alarm clock/iPhone charger mostly. I like the ability to turn the speaker Off so that the clock light dims right down.

The app you can download to use with it really isn't that great which is a downside to this product. I found the app kept crashing or restarting and it was useless, and I have an iPhone4S. I've never attempted to use it again and there's been no updates.

50/50 (2011) [DVD]
50/50 (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable film!, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: 50/50 (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I saw this film originally at the cinema, and it's a film I really enjoyed watching.

It has just the right mix of humour and sadness, real life and silly... and at times very emotional and moving! Considering the main subject of the film is a young man coming to terms with cancer, with uneven chances of survival, it's not all too depressing. I did shed a tear in a couple of parts.

Ultimately this film is about friendship when you need it most, and it's one I will remember for a while.

Post-it Heart Dispenser
Post-it Heart Dispenser
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute - very girly!, 15 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love using post it notes and this dispenser is a girly addition to my stationery. The bright pink heart is probably not something I would usually go for, but in the flesh it's not so bad!

It's extremely heavy and chunky, meaning it's easy to quickly grab a post it from the heart with one hand. It also doesn't take normal post-it notes tyou have to use the special Z ones.

Sure Maximum Protection Cream for Women (3 x 45ml)
Sure Maximum Protection Cream for Women (3 x 45ml)
Offered by M&B Bargains
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No more sweat!, 9 Mar 2012
I am a Bzz Agent and I was asked to try this anti-perspirant as part of a campaign.

Unfortunately I am of the type that sweats quite a lot. The usual spray can anti-perspirants just don't do the job for me. I had been using something very similar to this product from Sure, an offering by Dove, and they do seem quite similar.

The most important thing of course, is that it actually WORKS. I apply it on an evening before bed (might sound strange but this is the best time for this type of anti-perspirant!) and for 2 days I am completely sweat free. This includes after showering too, so it's really good stuff.

The only thing which concerns me though, is whether something this 'strong' is actually any good for my under arms! I've read with some concern about connections between aluminum-based products and breast cancer. In the mean time however, there's nothing else which works, so I'm sticking with it!

Shut Your Eyes Tight
Shut Your Eyes Tight
by John Verdon
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Day Murder, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shut Your Eyes Tight (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read John Verdon's first book staring Dave Gurney, a retired NYPD Homicide Detective who isn't settling for life in the quiet and peaceful countryside, much to the frustration of his wife. The first book in the series has an exciting plot, so I was keen to give the second book a go to with high hopes.
This time, Dave is asked to advise on a murder of a woman on her wedding day. The police haven't gotten very far in the time since the event - and the mother of the deceased bride is now asking for his help after hearing about how amazing a Detective he was.

The story takes up to places involving sexual abuse carried out by women, and I feel this doesn't provide as much as a shock factor as it should. I also found myself struggling with the pace of this book as there is a lot of 'fluff' I just wanted to skip past. It's a very long read, but you literally follow what Gurney is doing every second of the day, including endless cups of coffee or thinking about his not-so-great relationship with his wife... and it got a bit tiresome. Getting back to the actual murder, there were parts that had me hooked and these parts were great, but it was a long and drawn out process to get to there.

The Dead [DVD]
The Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Freeman
Price: 5.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't keep me captivated, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the zombie genre and I was excited to give this film a go. It was nice that such a film in this genre was not set in some American city, but was actually in a lovely African setting.

It had a average plot, survivors trying to make their way to somewhere the outbreak hasn't reached and of course to hunt down a missing son. You've heard it all before.

The slow shuffling zombies in this film still managed to stir fear in me, however I can't see this film appealing to the mass market with probably more 'hard-core' zombie fans hunting this one down.

For me the film wasn't too captivating, I enjoyed it in a sense because it was zombies, but it bored me because it wasn't anything terribly new or exciting, and was quite slow moving in parts.

The Silence [DVD]
The Silence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ulrich Thomsen
Price: 5.22

3.0 out of 5 stars A dark film, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Silence [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This film is based on 2 men, who are looking for a girl to rape. One man kills and rapes a young girl, however the other one runs off and makes a new identity for himself.

Several years later, another girl is murdered, and the man with the new identity realises who the murderer is.

Yes, this film is not for the light hearted or easily offended and is a gritty film. There is some good acting in this film, however I did get confused with various characters who didn't appear to have much of a story to them. I didn't particularly enjoy the film, and therefore I can't personally recommend it - however this is my personal opinion.

The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6
The Redeemer: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 4): 6
Price: 3.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder in the Salvation Army, 26 Jan 2012
The Redeemer is the 4th book starring Harry Hole, the alcoholic/recovering alcholic (depending on his mood) Inspector. As usual Jo Nesbo has an imaginative plot that is well thought out, and full of twists and turns.
We start at Salvation Army Summer Camp where a 14 year old girl is raped. We don't find out by whom, but the repercussions of this event take us into the present day. The story then skips to a young Croatian boy caught up in war, and known as the Redeemer. The start of the book took me a while to get used to, the story intentionally flips from one character to another without a clear break in between but once you realise what is happening, this style helps build up suspense.

In the present it's a freezing cold December in Oslo in the run up to Christmas. A Salvation Army Officer at a concert is shot in the middle of a square in front of many people. The police have few clues to follow, and are completely unsure as to whether this is a lone gunman or an organised gang. The story follows the contract killer, who is quite confident his work is done and is on his way to the airport to leave the country. However the snow causes a flight delay, leaving the killer stranded. He checks into a hotel and catches the news, but it's not the news he wants to see...

Harry Hole is lead on a mission facing a contract killer, a rapist, a psychotic and mistaken identities. During this he is fighting his alcoholism, coming to grips with a new boss, and thinking of his recent ex-girlfriend and her son. The story was exciting and full of action; it kept me hooked from one page to the next. The story contains almost everything a crime fiction book could contain a bit of gruesomeness here and a murder there, a crazed gunman on the lose to a victim in hiding, Jo Nesbo is one of the best of this genre. I also feel a learn more and more when I read each of the books in this series, each is carefully researched and contains plenty of detail without boring the reader. The twist at the end was brilliant, and I found myself thinking back to earlier events in the book and it all suddenly fell into place.

I look forward to reading the next in series, The Snowman. I wouldn't say you need to start from the beginning with this series, but to get the full benefit of Harry Hole's back story then I highly recommend it.

Ultrasport Exercise Wheel
Ultrasport Exercise Wheel
Price: 12.92

4.0 out of 5 stars It's alright!, 25 Jan 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit I did have a better exercise wheel, a one with a motor inside to make it tougher. With this more basic type I feel I may as well just be rolling a dumbbell across the floor. However, if you are looking for something basic, then you wouldn't go wrong with it. It's sturdy enough and had good grips either side of the wheel, and is a nice accessory for anyone's workout routine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20