Profile for Alan Williamson > Reviews

Content by Alan Williamson

Alan Williamson (Richmond, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Sound Of Sunshine
The Sound Of Sunshine

4.0 out of 5 stars GrooveShark drove this sale ..., 12 Sept. 2011
Who says the internet is killing Internet music when Grooveshark can find absolute gems like this man?

This popped up in a Grooveshark random playlist and i tagged it to listen to more of his stuff. The Sound of Silence album is just fantastic, and if you love that particular song, then you will enjoy the other tracks, as they are very similar in pace and mood.

I have since listened and purchased his earlier work.

The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex
The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex

5.0 out of 5 stars Translates from radio to page perfectly, 12 Sept. 2011
Mark Kermode for me was always the BBC movie critic that kept popping up and I always wondered why he never got the big Film XX gig where the likes Jonathan Ross and Barry Norman commanded for so many years. Now I realize, he's just too intellectual for that sort of format.

I recently discovered his podcast with Simon Mayo and for the last 6months, we've been enjoying his rants and insight. He's spot with a lot of the view points that I hold, including liking HudsonHawk and dissing all the Pirate movies. Though, I will concede the first Pirates movie was actually not bad.

This book I read from start to finish in one sitting. The opening pain felt about multiplexes I too feel, having 3 young boys, an outing there requires a visit to my financial adviser to ensure we can indeed afford it. The 4000% markup on popcorn that Mark highlights is just ridiculous and I for one, stay clear of the multiplexes as much as possible.

His discussion on 3D is not just a rant, but full of technical analysis on why its such a poor technology; for example 30% light loss. I wasn't aware 3D technology was around in the late 1800's and has been peddled every so often when the movie studios need a new reason to get us back into the cinema.

I felt his writing style was perfect and completely in tone to his mannerisms on the radio. This was the real Mark Kermode, and I burst out laughing (much to the amusement of my fellow flight passengers) at the Avatar : Dances with Smurfs remark.

The chapter on why blockbusters rarely never lose money was again insightful and educational.

My only complaint was that the book was not long enough. It needed a couple of more chapters. He glossed over internet piracy but I think he could have given us a much greater input as to whether or not the movie industry needs the cinema/multiplex or not. A chapter dedicated to that would have been fascinating. He does discuss at length the problems associated when Hollywood remakes foreign films in english, but I feel he could have dedicated a chapter to Hollywood remakes period. Are we running out of good stores so that we have to keep peddling the same ones again and again.

Overall, a great read and whether or not you are a fan of his style of wit and insight, he's thoroughly well researched and presents a strong argument.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 7:26 AM BST

Mission Bell
Mission Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic ..., 19 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Mission Bell (MP3 Download)
Amos Lee has done it again, produced an album that is the quality of his first one featuring "Arms of a woman". I wasn't too keen on his follow up, but this new one, Mission Bell, is absolutely fantastic.

The haunting title track "El Camino" is just definitive Amos Lee, including a wonderful collaboration with Willie Nelson at the end. The "Learned a Lot" track is another stand-out track, but you will find yourself humming and playing this album over and over again.

Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said The Last Time I Saw You...
Almost Everything I Wish I'd Said The Last Time I Saw You...

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise unknown band that has become known, 19 Feb. 2011
Sitting in Glasgow waiting for James Blunt to come on and start his 2011 World tour, this unassuming band walked out onto the stage. Support band has always the hardest job, as they are playing to a crowd that don't want to hear them and are just itching to get onto the main act. But they had nothing to be fearful off.

They completely blew the roof off. They interacted with the crowd, making it a very intimate and funny session. Their music filled the room with real energic acoustic tunes. A few tracks stood out, particular "Square Peg in a round hole" and "Light Outside". The main front man, was an inspiration, very confident in his ability but yet connected with the crowd with his humor, stories and powerful voice and excellent piano skills.

WakeyWakey are a band to watch for.

This is only the second time that a support band has blown me away at a concert, the other was when AmosLee supported NorahJones and the place fell silent when sang "Arms of a Woman" -- completely unknown at the time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2011 12:19 AM GMT

A Journey
A Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating insight, 10 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A Journey (Kindle Edition)
while i do not agree with all of his decisions or view points i appreciate that the job of prime minister is never going to be easy. i felt i got a better insight into the inner workings of our country. do not read this book if you want an apology for various acts that you feel agrieves you. read it to gain the 'why' behind some of the acts.

definitely look at gordon brown in a different light.

Into Your Heart
Into Your Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds of why i love HHF, 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Into Your Heart (MP3 Download)
This album I recently discovered on Grooveshark. I had not known that they had released any albums in the 2000's and was pleasantly surprised to discover this little gem.

From their great work before hand such as HOME and SONGSFROMTHERAIN it was a joy to discover they had indeed not lost their magic. The song "2. End Of The Road" was the one that flipped it for me. It has all the usual hallmarks of what makes a great HotHouseFlowers track. I still do not know why this band was never as successful as other irish exports such as U2.

For me they are like Ireland's answer to Scotland's Runrig - a solid band you can put on and never fail to be enriched by.

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 Home Storage Solution ( 2 Bay ) - No Drives Included

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor for multiple users, 15 May 2010
This device was going to be the answer to all my different linux boxes and hard drives everywhere.

Installation was easy and it was on the network quickly. It was working fantastically - for a single user.

Then as soon as multiple users (3+) started to read from it, it would lock up, drop off the network.

The forums are pretty much useless, but filled with others with similiar woes -- misery loves comfort.

The only redeeming factor was that i got a full refund from it. These devices are not yet ready for prime time.

Live In London
Live In London

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the introduction you were waiting for, 27 July 2009
This review is from: Live In London (MP3 Download)
If you have been wondering what all the fuss about this man was then wonder no more, the perfect introduction to this mans life output is not packaged in a way for you to enjoy.

I was first hooked by the "Closing Time" song, and of course the infamous Jeff Buckley cover, but I never realised just how extensive and familiar his back catalogue is. He has been at this a long time and his energy and power of his voice is just outstanding.

Get to see this man before its too late.

Linksys by Cisco ADSL Modem
Linksys by Cisco ADSL Modem

1.0 out of 5 stars Works great then doesn't, 30 April 2009
Purchased this unit to replace an old USB unit. The usual story, the machine to which the USB unit was on, is coming to the end of its life, but the Internet as far as I can tell, isn't quite yet.

Plugged it in and all works beautifully. No problems.

EXCEPT ... fast forward a few hours, and the unit completely locks up. Locks up to the point where its not only refusing access to its console via the web, but doesn't even answer a ping!

Its at this point you discover how poor the unit is at reporting or storing logs. You have NO IDEA what went wrong, or when. You have no idea when the internet connection went down or if it had to readjust its speed.

There is NOTHING for you to report. It either works or it doesn't and the unit gives you NO help in trying to figure out what to do next.

Stay away from this bottom feeder router -- the Linksys brand is the cheap products from CISCO and I should have really known better.

Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro PCI
Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro PCI

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Mar. 2008
I am in a region where FreeView hasn't yet got full signal yet. I have tried two USB sticks and both cases, with a roof arieal plugged in, have been disappointed. Snowy screen and poor sound.

I purchased this card.

WOW ... my life is changed. I am running it with Vista + MediaCenterSoftware. I didn't even need the supplied driver, as Vista found it and installed it by itself.

The quality is great, and i listen to Radio2 for the day, and record bits and bobs at night to watch later on. The picture is pin sharp, the sound crystal.

Page: 1 | 2