Profile for C. Simons > Reviews

Content by C. Simons

C. Simons "Midnight" (Uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Je Anne Boleyn: Struck With the Dart of Love
Je Anne Boleyn: Struck With the Dart of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Best novel I have read about Anne Boleyn, 16 Dec. 2014
I am a Tudor and Anne Boleyn fan and have read all the books I can about them. This is the best novel I have read about Anne Boleyn by a long way. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Darkest Hour
The Darkest Hour
by Barbara Erskine

1.0 out of 5 stars ... time for a Barbara Erskine book that was as good as Lady of Hay and Kingdom of Shadows, 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Hour (Hardcover)
I have been waiting for a long time for a Barbara Erskine book that was as good as Lady of Hay and Kingdom of Shadows. I was really looking forward to this book but it did not live up to expectations any more than any of her other books in recent years. It was simply torturous to finish and for me the story was highly predictable and to be honest boring. I wish I had borrowed from the library instead of investing in the hard back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2014 10:09 AM GMT

The Kingmaker's Daughter (COUSINS' WAR)
The Kingmaker's Daughter (COUSINS' WAR)
by Philippa Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars What a tedious read, 5 Dec. 2012
It has taken me weeks (interspersed with reading other books as I was finding this one so hard going) to plough through this book. It has been one of the most tedious reads of my life. The characters are dull and lacking in any depth. Anne never looses her whining, childlike tone through out the book and her character never truly develops. I used to love Philippa Gregory's books but after this one I wont be buying or reading any more of them. I feel she is just churning them out now for the money and the sake of it. Do yourself a favour and borrow this from the library rather than waste your money.

The Unconventional Maiden (Mills & Boon Historical)
The Unconventional Maiden (Mills & Boon Historical)

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacklustre, 15 May 2012
I really wanted to like this book. The synopsis sounded promising and I love anything to do with the Tudor period so it seemed ideal. I was however disappointed. I got no real sense of the characters living in Tudor England bar the mentions of Henry and Wolsey. Beth and Gawain lacked depth and their romance was unconvincing and lacked any real passion. Main events in the book felt rushed and lacking in depth and detail. The ending was also rushed and rather trite. I forced myself to finish it as I don't like leaving any book half read but it was a struggle and I did not enjoy it at all.

The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
The Red Queen (Cousins' War Series 2)
by Philippa Gregory

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off, 12 Feb. 2011
Just a repeat of the White Queen but written from Margaret's perspective.

As for Margaret, rarely has a character in a book got on my nerves as much as this. She whines like a spoiled child through out and came across as very shallow and self absorbed. I dont pretend to be an expert but I have read enough to feel there is much much more to Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII and grandmother to Henry VIII than was even hinted at in this book. Very disappointing for a book which could have been so much better.

If you like 'pop' historical fiction then you may like this. People who like true historic fiction are better off with the likes of Sharon Penman.

The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
by Mark Chadbourn

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 12 Feb. 2011
I loved the age of misrule books - thought they were brilliant and so I was really looking forward to this. It is not a patch on the age of misrule books. I struggled to finish it and found it dull and repetitious. I did not connect with any of the characters at all and found Will to be rather boring and one dimensional. Even the Unseelie court were just a rehash of characters in the age of misrule books. I felt as if once you had read about a couple of the monsters in this book you might as well have read about them all. I found myself skipping through pages hoping to get some good bits. Really disappointed in this book and wont be buying the sequel.

Insurrection: Insurrection Trilogy Book 1
Insurrection: Insurrection Trilogy Book 1
by Robyn Young

2.0 out of 5 stars One dimensional, historically inaccurate and boring, 4 Jan. 2011
Robert the Bruce is one dimensional, shallow and unconvincing in this book. The book itself is full of historical inaccuracies and sloppy writing that would be more at home on an American subway. I love historical fiction but I found myself bored to tears many times and skipping through what seemed like endless pages of pointless drivel. Definitely wont be bothering with the others in the trilogy and regret spending money on this book. Do yourself a favour and borrow it from the library.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2012 6:37 PM BST

Anne Boleyn: Henry VIII's Obsession
Anne Boleyn: Henry VIII's Obsession
by Elizabeth Norton

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful book, 4 Sept. 2010
I am an avid book reader and yet it is not often I feel compelled to write a review, especially not a bad one.

However I felt this book deserves it. After reading things such as "Anne would have felt.....", "Anne probably........", "Anne maybe..........." and "Anne wouldnt have........." (I am sure you get the picture) for what seemed the hundredth time in less than one Chapter I totally lost heart with this book. I was left wondering how much research the author had actually accomplished as the pages of this book are just full of the groundless supposition and the unsubstantiated opinion of the author.

I have given it 2 stars simply because I enjoyed the colour photographs contained in the book.

I bitterly regret wasting money on this book. I have never been so disappointed with a book on Anne Boleyn and, as a huge fan of Anne Boleyn and the Tudors, I have read most of them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2011 5:32 PM GMT

Picking Up the Brass
Picking Up the Brass
by Eddy Nugent

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly constructed and very dull, 30 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Picking Up the Brass (Paperback)
The content of this book was fragmented and had no flow. I was really looking forward to reading it after seeing reviews promising much laughter and general hilarity. I was simply bored throughout and finished wishing I had spent my money elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2012 10:51 PM BST

The Gospel of Falling Down: The Beauty of Failure, in an Age of Success
The Gospel of Falling Down: The Beauty of Failure, in an Age of Success
by Mark Townsend

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, honest and thought provoking, 18 April 2009
Like many I had a negative experience with the Church at a young age and got away from it as soon as I was old enough to make my own decisions. Since then I have explored many paths and belief systems. When I first came across Mark Townsend's books and website I initially wanted to give it a miss because I didn't want to read another account of how we are all accountable to a jealous, wrathful God for our sins (especially not one written by an ordained priest!). Out of simple curiosity I picked up 'The Gospel of Falling Down' and for the first time in a long time I sat down and read a whole book in one sitting.

Marks writing style is open, understandable, not patronising and above all, and something I find very rare these days, honest. He does not seek to 'convert' anyone or persuade the reader to his way rather he invites you to consider possibilities and hey, if you don't like them so be it! I could directly relate to many things in this book (as I think will many people) and found the exercises (only a few so don't be put off!) insightful and thought provoking. Reading this book is more like having a conversation with an open minded, compassionate and understanding friend.

I have since ordered his two other books and have booked a place on one of marks retreats later this year.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who like me like to explore all paths and thoughts to find those that are of most use

Page: 1 | 2