Profile for Mathew Rolfe > Reviews

Mathew Rolfe

The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones
The Nasty Bits: Collected Cuts, Useable Trim, Scraps and Bones

4.0 out of 5 stars Punchy, witty. Forthright, 6 Oct 2014
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Bourdain's style is one I identify with as his dark humour shines through everywhere. This is a man who clearly worships at the alter of food and his descriptions of various culinary experiences are mouth watering to read!

I liked this format of a collection of articles/short stories from around the culinary world, the fact that he's never afraid to stick his neck out and above all else his brutal honesty! Better still he's also prepared to look back and admit when he felt he'd been in the wrong.

Most entertaining

Among You: The Extraordinary True Story of a Soldier Broken by War
Among You: The Extraordinary True Story of a Soldier Broken by War

5.0 out of 5 stars Visceral, heart-wrenching, shocking & emotionally charged. A MUST read, 10 May 2013
Where to begin? One of the finest books I have ever read of any kind. Nothing I write here can begin to convey the emotional rollercoaster Jake takes you on so I can only urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to read this. Whilst you're at it ask your friends to read it too as if doing so will in any way help this man and raise awareness of the countless others like him past and present then it will have been worthwhile.
I shan't delve into the contents as to do so would be to taint what Jake expresses far more eloquently than i could ever hope to. Suffice to say that he has a tremendous talent for writing and I for one applaud his honesty and willingness to delve terrifyingly deep in order to bare his soul to the world. He very clearly never asks for, nor expects, sympathy for where his self-imposed journey has led him though there are many times during this book that you want to reach into the pages to help him. However to be given such an insight into the true face of PTSD is to know just how powerless you might be in trying to do so. Perhaps just to remember what the men and women in our armed forces have done and respect their endeavours is the best the rest of us can do, all the while being incredibly thankful that there are those out there willing to do what so many of us are not. Also, crucially, show them your support after they return - no matter what your political beliefs or your opinion on whether or not they should be there in the first place. Save those questions for your government.
Jake I wish you well on your the rest of your journey.