Profile for Graham Chapman > Reviews

Funny People [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny People v Revolutionary Road, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Funny People [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Hi, here's a 2 in 1 review for you.

Funny People - it's funny. Revolutionary Road - it's not. Funny People - it has drama. Revolutionary Road - it has people shouting at each other. Funny People - it has characters you care about. Revolutionary Road - it has characters you don't want to listen to. Funny People is longer than Revolutionary Road, but seems much shorter.

Stand-up comedians make good subject matter ('Funny Bones', 'Punchline' were interesting films). Quarreling couples we can hear through the walls.

And Adam Sandler - I never got it with this actor, but in 'Anger Managment' and, particularly, 'Funny People' he works. Like Jerry Lewis in 'King of Comedy' - another good film about stand-ups. Stand-ups and salesmen - guaranteed good subject matter for films.

Some reviewers say this film isn't funny - even some who liked it said that. It is funny. It's not a comedy - that's true, but the title is accurate. Revolutionary Road, however, is a totally misleading title. It's not even ironic.

Buy or see 'Funny People' (5 stars). Avoid 'Revolutionary Road (2 stars).'

Wreckless Eric And Amy Rigby
Wreckless Eric And Amy Rigby
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars A Belter, 31 July 2010
Never heard of Amy Rigby and knew nothing about this CD. My ignorance. This is a belter. Every song. Wreckless Eric is just one of those artists who just seem to keep going under the radar making great music. And he's made a good partnership here, musically, hopefully personally! Going to buy tickets to see them at the Lexington on the strength of this and their latest album (Two Way Family Favourite). Both albums definitely worth buying.

The Imagine Project
The Imagine Project

2.0 out of 5 stars A Charity Record???, 30 July 2010
This review is from: The Imagine Project (MP3 Download)
The Imagine Project? I thought this was one of those charity records - the ones where the artists know the music is no good, but sign up to help a worthy cause (like, er, the Lou Reed song, what was it - Perfect Day). But no, it appears Herbie and Sony are the benefactors of this record. Don't give them any money is all I can say.

'River' was largely excellent, but this is a godawful record. I like Lisa Hannigan - her own stuff is interesting - she was one of the star turns on the Nick Drake tribute, but I can't listen to her belting out The Times, They are a Changin'. Sometimes pop and jazz come together well - Hancock did it fine with Joni Mitchell, but 'Tomorrow Never Knows'..what a mess.

A collection of songs that mainly don't work individually and as an album are without coherence or atmosphere. I have a large number of Hancock records from over the decades. Some of the more recent ones were bland and uninspiring for the most part, but all had some saving grace or individual tracks. I would have to force myself to put this one on again.

Two-way Family Favourites
Two-way Family Favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff!, 29 July 2010
This is rather moving, inspiring, heroic - I don't know why. Dylanesque - Knocking on Heaven's Door. I thought 'music to get divorced to', or 'go on the run from the law' or, at least, 'listen carefully to with a few cans in the front room.'

This is the first Wreckless Eric album I've heard since 'Wreckless Eric' (I still have the 10 inch dung coloured one, lost and sandwiched between all those black 12 inch ones). I remember being impressed and taken by that album when I was 15 or so and these new Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby songs have the same effect. (Though I'd have to say 'Fernando' is a song that should be buried at the bottom of the ocean and left for the fishes to eat.)

On the whole though raw, romantic, acoustic rock. Well worth buying. Good stuff!

Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Playstation 3)
Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Playstation 3)
Offered by Turbotrance

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for Younger Players, 29 July 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The films are wonderful for adults and children alike. The game is good for children. Plenty of helpful tips, hologram instructions to prevent you getting stuck. I bought it for an 8 year old, but, of course, was hoping I'd be hooked too. Definitely more for young ones, though. Ideas and game play remind me of Jak and Daxter and ToeJam and Earl 3, but that was some years ago. I don't think this could claim to be cutting-edge game making. It also lacks a certain narrative tension (unsurprising, given the film it derives from). It's really not a game that is going to overexcite a player over 10. However, as a fun, family game its perfectly enjoyable.

The Runaways [DVD]
The Runaways [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Girls, 29 July 2010
This review is from: The Runaways [DVD] (DVD)
Another great story from the decade where music peaked (yep, no arguments, the 70's). Beautifully shot in saturated colours (like the latter part of 'Auto Focus' - another retro film about the seedy seventies worth seeing).

The story is just the usual rock follies, but the Runaways were a cool band and their music is still good to play. They get well-served by some good acting from Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning and best of all Michael Shannon. Hopefully it will inspire a new generation of girl bands better than the current batch. (Probably not, though.)

Never mind, enjoy the dvd anyway. See it in a double bill with 'Foxes', an Adrian Lyne film about the same time period, with Jody Foster and the real Cherie Currie. Buy some popcorn, buy some coke (cherry flavour).

Th Runaways (Music From The Motion Picture)
Th Runaways (Music From The Motion Picture)
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Hello Daddy, Hello Mom., 29 July 2010
No track listing from Amazon, so here you go:

1. NICK GILDER - ROXY ROLLER
8. THE RUNAWAYS - YOU DRIVE ME WILD
9. DAKOTA FANNING & KRISTEN STEWART - QUEENS OF NOISE
10. KRISTEN STEWART & DAKOTA FANNING - DEAD END JUSTICE
11. THE STOOGES - I WANNA BE YOUR DOG
12. THE RUNAWAYS - I WANNA BE WHERE THE BOYS ARE (LIVE)
13. SEX PISTOLS - PRETTY VACANT
14. JOAN JETT- DON'T ABUSE ME

This is a great soundtrack to an enjoyable film. Music for the car I think. Wish I had a convertible instead of a Corsa, but there you go.

Handmade Life
Handmade Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Spitfire, 4 July 2010
This review is from: Handmade Life (Audio CD)
Some of my friends laugh 'cos I like folk these days. That's partly your fault, Chris Wood. Saw him at Cambridge FF a couple of years ago, and thought (inasmuch as you do or can after lots of beer), 'this is the business' - political, great voice, sharp lyrics, in no particular order - folk, its like punk, but less spitting and jumping.

Made me think of Roy Harper a bit. And maybe Chris could rock it up for a change - or is that not how folkies would see it? Anyway, whatever, even without rocking it up, this is an excellent album - sardonic, thoughtful, tuneful - I wouldn't pick particular tracks - this is a good all round album. Folk carries the music torch, that's what I say.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2012 12:41 AM GMT

Gay Sex In The 70's [DVD] [2004]
Gay Sex In The 70's [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Joseph Lovett
Offered by The Gay & Lesbian Cinema Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, 2 July 2010
I didn't mean to watch this film. The title confused me and I accidentally stumbled into the cinema. Plus it was raining and all and I had to take shelter in the nearest movie theatre.

Ok, well if you've ever played that game where you go back in time to a perfect place and era you'd like to live in... I always choose NY, 70s. Also one of my favourite Al Pacino films is Cruising. And a favourite non-fiction book is And The Band Played On. But I'm not gay, honest.

Isn't 70's hedonism totally watchable? I mean Sex and the fricking City, do me a favour! Gay, straight, 70's New York. That's what its all about. So this documentary is just a no brainer. The social context, Stonewall, yada yada..we're talking men in tight heavy fabrics boning each other and dancing the night away in the city heat.

It's got to be more entertaining than the World Cup.

I could watch this stuff til the wife comes home. Totally recommended, man.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2011 11:27 AM GMT

Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition
Kilimanjaro: Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars When I Dream, 2 July 2010
Julian has done lots of good solo stuff and his concerts are still worth going to, but for me this album was always the one. If you are thinking of buying this for the extras, do! I have most of these tracks on vinyl through albums like 'To the Shores of Lake Placid' and the singles and the Teardrops always produced great b sides. Really, their whole output sometimes sounds like b sides. Camera Camera, Use Me, All I Am Is Loving You - boppy, poppy minor songs - the ones that remind you of the era, the ones that still live.

The Teardrops always had humour - not like some po-faced, up their bunny bum bands which we won't mention - they had romanticism, but not the grand or pretentious type - just daft, 'scuse me while i screw up type.

Julian is a good solo artist, but the Teardrops were a BAND, and one of the best of their time. This is one of those rare deluxe editions where I actually want the additional tracks as much as the main ones - the quirky versions, the French versions. I always thought the tinny little under produced versions of When I Dream were the best.

When I dream, I remember Teardrop gigs in Manchester. The past is a foreign country they say. Well you cant go back, but here's a good photo album anyway.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21