Profile for Datageek > Reviews

Datageek

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player - Black
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and plays nearly everything, 26 Mar. 2015
I have had this for over 2 years and use it mainly when we're on holiday to play movies and TV.

For the price and tiny size it's superb. The user interface is fairly simple, and the USB port can power a regular portable hard drive including FAT or NTFS format. It has played nearly everything I've thrown at it, except for full size bluray backups to MKV ( up to 40mbits) which will freeze every few seconds. Transcoding then down to 16 mbits sorted this out.

Only other slight downside is the non standard power port, it is usb powered but the socket is a barrel connector rather than a micro/mini USB

Alessi La Rosa 29 cm Fruit Bowl in Steel Coloured with Epoxy Resin, Flower Red
Alessi La Rosa 29 cm Fruit Bowl in Steel Coloured with Epoxy Resin, Flower Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice large fruit bowl, 14 Sept. 2014
This is a very nice bowl. It holds a good amount of a fruit, while the cutout design means you can see everything in it and the contents is exposed to fresh air. The red colour is not particularly bright, it's more of a pale red.

Pack of 270 Gold & Silver Star Stickers
Pack of 270 Gold & Silver Star Stickers
Offered by Labels4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice large stars, 14 Sept. 2014
Nice large stars, fun for wall charts.

Dymo LabelManager PnP Plug and Play Label Maker with 2 x Assorted Tapes
Dymo LabelManager PnP Plug and Play Label Maker with 2 x Assorted Tapes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent label printer, get the full software full from Dymo website, 14 Sept. 2014
This is a great little device. Set up is straightforward, it is USB-powered (no separate power adapter) and the software on Dymo's website (Dymo Label v.8) is easy to use but very powerful. As well as text there are a lot of useful symbols, everything can be resized, text wrapped across multiple lines etc. You can also insert your own images, although bear in mind that any colour or greyscale images tend to come out quite badly as they have to be converted to pure black & white, which doesn't tend to work well for very small printouts.

There is a trick with the labels to get the backing plastic off to reveal the adhesive. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out, but the backing is in two parallel strips, with a cut down the middle along the length of the ribbon, so if you fold the label down the middle along its length, the backing strips will separate and can be pulled off. There is some label ribbon wastage, but it's less than some other label printers I've tried.

As it's installed on a PC as a printer, it can be shared over the network just like a normal printer so you can have it plugged into one PC, and design labels and print from another.

The only downside i can see is that the D1 ribbon cartridges a bit pricey.

LUPO Home Menu Button Key and Flex Cable Ribbon Assembly For iPhone 4 - BLACK
LUPO Home Menu Button Key and Flex Cable Ribbon Assembly For iPhone 4 - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost identical to original, just be really careful with the ribbon connector, 9 Aug. 2013
I put this in while replacing my display as well, because the original button had begun to lose sensitivity.

It's tricky doing the disassembly and reassembly, in particular it's very important to follow the instructions carefully around the removal of the button's ribbon connector. It goes into a tiny slot on the dock connector assembly and is held in place using a jaw clamp with a microscopic lever that needs to be flipped up before removing the old one and putting the new one in. The ribbon is also one of the most fragile pieces in the phone. If you get it wrong you may be looking at buying a new dock connector assembly or button or both.

Anyway, the button looks identical to the original and feels almost exactly the same.

LUPO iPhone 4 Replacement LCD Touch Screen Digitizer + Tools - BLACK
LUPO iPhone 4 Replacement LCD Touch Screen Digitizer + Tools - BLACK

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but colours are a bit off, 9 Aug. 2013
Replacing the display was tricky, particularly replacing some of the screws during reassembly is extremely fiddly for me (fat fingers), but it worked fine first time went I switched it back on. The screen works fine as a display and touchscreen, my only disappointment is the screen colour. Others have mentioned a yellow or greenish tinge. For me, when I look at the screen straight on I'd say the colours are very slightly washed out compared to the original display. However when looking from the side (e.g. with the phone sitting on the desk beside me) there is a very noticeable tinge. Looking from the left the tinge is blueish, whereas from the right it's yellowish.

I guess I could have sent it back and bought a different model, but the hassle of disassembling and reassembling means it's not really worth it. That said, my phone has a working screen which will get me through until my next handset upgrade in a month or so.

Logitech Harmony 900 Advanced Universal Remote Control with RF capability
Logitech Harmony 900 Advanced Universal Remote Control with RF capability

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Harmony remote I've owned, nearly perfect, 30 Jan. 2013
I've been using this remote for 18 months, having previously used a Harmony 1000 and before that a Harmony 880. This has been the best I've had because of the nice compromise between a good range of sensibly placed hard buttons, and a small but decent touchscreen. We use it with a Pioneer plasma TV, Sky+HD, BluRay player and Windows Media Center. The plethora of proper buttons means that we generally only use the touchscreen to select activities, everything else is done using the buttons.

The RF transmitter works fine for me. With the receiver inside a cabinet enclosed by 20mm thick doors, we never have a problem with the signal being lost, although our sofa is only a few metres away from the cabinet.

The Help function actually works quite well on this model. Contrary to what you might think, it doesn't actually display instructions, but attempts to correct any power on/off and channel selection states that might not have worked the first time. So if the TV didn't turn on or go to the right input for whatever reason (sometimes the TV doesn't handle the IR signals properly) , pressing the Help button will normally correct it.

Set-up is still a bit laborious (at least when I last tried), although at least it didn't require separately programming the RF receiver like the Harmony 1000 did (oh the hours I spent trying to get my old 1000 working properly). However, once set up it's been almost perfect. WAF ("wife acceptance factor") is very high - not only can my wife use it without any problems, our nanny can too, and occasionally our 5 year old daughter!

The only drawbacks I've noticed are:
- No multi-step sequences are supported except for starting/ending an activity. This isn't a problem for us as we don't need this functionality, but some people might if they have more complex setups than us
- Set up requires connecting to a computer via USB cable and using the somewhat clumsily designed software, as mentioned above it's a bit of a hassle but only needs to be done again if you setup changes
- Very occasionally (say once every 3 months or so) it freezes (screen goes white) and requires a reboot by removing and replacing the battery.

Aurora 12V G4 Unidirectional Capsule LED Bulbs - Warm White - 20W equivalent
Aurora 12V G4 Unidirectional Capsule LED Bulbs - Warm White - 20W equivalent
Offered by Lights4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and reliable, 30 Jan. 2013
We have 8 of these in our kitchen - 6 as downlights under our wall cabinets, and 2 inside a large cupboard. I got the first set about 4 months ago, they have lasted fine so far. I installed them as direct replacements for 10w halogen bulbs, without changing the fittings or low voltage drivers. They are much brighter than the 10w halogens, and probably comparable to 20w halogens, overall we get easily enough light onto about 4 metres of kitchen work surfaces using 6 bulbs. The light comes on instantly at full brightness, there is no warm up time or flickering.

The circular shape means they fit snugly into the downlighter fittings, although I found I had to unscrew and remove the internal reflector inside each one. Of course, the reflector is not required with these bulbs as all of the LEDS are mounted on one side of the circuit board, so with the LEDs mounted downwards in the fitting no light comes out the top anyway.

The price is still a little high but has been coming down. Other than the cost factor, these are really better than halogens in every way. I fully expect halogens to be phased out over the next years as the price of LEDs comes down.

LG Tone - HBS-700 Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Retail Packaging - Black/Orange

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and very neat design, 5 Sept. 2012
I bought this to replace a Sennheiser MM 100 bluetooth headset which died after about 18 months of regular use. This headset is less expensive than the MM100 but I find it more comfortable as the in-ear plugs work much better for me that over-the-ear phone, and overall a better design. I like the magnetic catches which hold the earplugs in place when not in use, stopping the wires from getting tangled, and also the adjustable loops that allow you to vary the amount of slack on the wires to ensure they are comfortable without dangling down too much.

Sound quality is completely adequate for playing music on my iPhone. I've used it while on a 2 hour run with no problems, and also on the daily commute.

Charging is straightforward using a standard micro USB cable plugged into any powered USB port or charger, I've already got several of these from other devices so I've got no worries about losing the charger.

Lucozade Sport Body Fuel Raspberry 1,170g Tub 30 Servings
Lucozade Sport Body Fuel Raspberry 1,170g Tub 30 Servings

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and less waste, 15 Aug. 2011
At current price works out at just over 50p for 500ml, compared with about £1 to buy bottles online. Quick and easy to make up the solution - two scoops, add water and mix. After making it in a measuring cup I pour mine into a loop-shape running bottle which is easier to hold while out running than a normal plastic bottle, and there is less waste.

The only catch was when I opened the pack I couldn't see the scoop. Turned out it was near the top but buried underneath some of the powder.