Profile for Mr. S. Booth > Reviews

Berberian Sound Studio [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Toby Jones
Price: 8.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Very atmospheric, unusual, loved it!, 7 Mar 2013
As someone who is a big fan of horror, and British, Im always interested in new British horror films. This film caught my attention because it is set aganist a backdrop of 70s Italian gore horror, referencing the style of directors like Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci, both of whom I really like. The story is about a talented English sound engineer, with no experience of horror films, who is employed to work on a very gory horror film being made in italy, by an increasingly sinister team, and the experience of creating sounds for such extreme horror, acts of torture (which we only hear, we never see) leads to a growing sense of dread and unease, culminating in a gradual breaking down of his sanity. But much of the film is about the importance and the power of sound itself. It is not a gory film, and not really a horror film, but it is very disconcerting, chilling, and gripping. It is brilliantly concieved, with excellent acting and strking art direction, beautifully directed, and as much a mediation of the nature of sound itself. Shades of David Lynch too. I loved it!

Cat People [DVD]
Cat People [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nastassja Kinski
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this film!, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cat People [DVD] (DVD)
I dont usually write reviews, but am a serious film lover, and having read all these poor reviews of one of my favourite films, Cat People, it made me wonder, why did I love it so much?? I think it has alot to do with the age i was when i saw it - I was 13. And maybe the problem with the film is that it works best for younger teenagers, who enjoy minor horror, dreamlike fantasy, and mild eroticism. OK, I'll concede, it is slightly dull in places.

But it has alot going for it. First off, the soundtrack, by Giorgio Moroder, is AWESOME. For years after seeing the film i was desperate to find the soundtrack album. I still love the music to Cat People, it really got under my skin. And the theme song, Putting Out Fire by David Bowie, is a killer track, and totally ahead of its time.

Secondly, I adore Nastasja Kinski. I love the dreamlike quality of her acting in this film, she is beautiful, mysterious, detached, alluring, threatening, innocent, all at once. And i loved her journey of dark discovery. The whole film is odd, and frequently dreamlike. Its meant to be an adult erotic fantasy, but really, it works best as a mixed up adolescent dream. Watching it again now, i dont love it quite as much as i did. But I still love it, and will never forget the impression it made on me when i was 13.

The Golden Book of Fairy Tales (Classic Golden Book)
The Golden Book of Fairy Tales (Classic Golden Book)
by Adrienne Segur

3.0 out of 5 stars A little too brief..!, 8 April 2009
First of all, its a great collection of stories. But they are incredibly brief versions - Snow White and Cinderella are quite epic stories, but these versions wizz through the stories far too quickly and the story is over in about 6 mins. I think they might be good for reading very slowly to very young children, but i found them quite unsatisfying. When great stories are condensed in this way, alot of the magic and build up is lost. The illustrations however, are beautiful and evocative.