Profile for M. J. Michalska > Reviews

Content by M. J. Michalska

M. J. Michalska "magiczka" (Chalfont St Peter, Bucks, UK)

Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Twilight (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolute and utter rubbish, 16 Sep 2009
I've seen many good and bad vampire movies, and Twilight, although not dismal, is very, very bad. It is obvious and boring and offers no twist to the tale whatsoever. And, it is sort of funny, but I bet that wasn't planned. A perfect family of vampire vegetarians? Jumping among the tree tops? Glimmering skin? Come on! So, if you want to watch a GOOD vampire film - go to "Interview with a Vampire", and for good vampire TV - I'll recommend "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel" and "Forever Knight." If you look for teeneage love with a twist - go for "Buffy" again. Don't waste your time and money on this over-advertised tragedy.

IOMAX Car Cassette Adapter - Black
IOMAX Car Cassette Adapter - Black
Offered by Nexons Electronics
Price: 5.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gizmo, 26 July 2009
I was pretty apprehensive at first, but I am very happy with the purchase. At first my car casette player wouldn't recognise it and I almost gave up, but then suddenly it worked and is working perfectly ever since. It is wonderfully simple, cheap and allows me to listen to my choice of music whenever I want for however long I want. Ok, so the sound quality varies, but it depends more on MP3 quality in my opinion, and since my in car speakers are not perfect, I can't say much more. Generally, absolutely worth buying - clever little gizmo, and so much fun!

The Last Wish (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Last Wish (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Andrzej Sapkowski
Price: 9.31

5.0 out of 5 stars And it only gets better..., 2 Oct 2007
I must admit that I know Andrzej Sapkowski's books so to say "first hand", being Polish and all. And, believe me, Geralt's saga only gets better with every novel. It is an absolutely beautiful mixture of action, mythologies, humour, psychology, magic, feelings, cultural references and quotes, sharp observation and unique talent. Andrzej Sapkowski uses words in a wonderful manner and he is probably most eloquent person I have ever met (and I had a chance to meet him personaly during a SF convention).
I am not sure about the translation; it is very difficult for me to judge how much it reflects the original fluency and eloquency. When I re-red the book in English it sounded strange, but maybe it was just because I already knew it almost by heart in Polish. I really hope that the translation encompasses the richness of the original. But, translation aside...
The Witcher is fantasy as it has been never written before, very fresh and captivating. Geralt's world is so far from usual cliches, or, rather, uses the cliches only to mock them. In a sense, it is a very modern world, with modern problems and ideas, populated by rich, full-booded characters. The story is far from obvious and there is a good measure of humour which makes "larger than life" heroes much more humane. Ach, well, I could go on and on in my poor English... Let me just say that again: It gets even better. First two novels are composed of short stories published over a period of time in Fantastyka magazine. Those stories were compiled together, glued, so to say, to form a novel. But when the main plot of all seven novels really kicks in... well, see for yourselves, it is just great!!!
I cannot express how happy I am for Andrzej Sapkowski to finally reach the English speaking readers. And how happy I am for English speaking readers by the way:) And I just hope that The Witcher the game will be as good as the novel.