Profile for MR JOHN H A CASTLE > Reviews

MR JOHN H A CASTLE

How Long Will I Love You
How Long Will I Love You

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Side to Ellie, 10 Nov 2013
Ellie Goulding demonstrates her versatility with this sweet, soft song. Gone are the banging drums and effects. In comes simplicity, with a simple piano and strings arrangement and Goulding's haunting voice. A treasure!

M-Audio Axiom 25
M-Audio Axiom 25

4.0 out of 5 stars Axiom 25 - A Good Start & Great Value for Money, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: M-Audio Axiom 25 (Electronics)
Back in the 1980s I used to record straight onto a 4 track tape recorder using synthesisers and drum machines. I then moved onto using Magix Music Maker in the 1990s, and have used this since, building loops up to form songs on a PC, then recording the result onto an 8 track recorder and adding vocals. Having found the use of other people's loops creatively restricting and expensive, I recently made the decision to use my own creativity again and invest in a MIDI keyboard. I looked into possibilities and found that the Axiom 25 had some good write ups, with a non-restrictive price. I am now using it with a new mini mac and have already put together a couple of songs that I am happy with. The set up was very simple - use the cable provided to plug the keyboard into my mac. No need to even plug it into the mains! It worked straight away with garage band. I also found that I was able to use it immediately with Music Maker on my old PC. The best results though so far have come using the Ignite package which comes free with the keyboard, which you download from the web site. Although Ignite takes a while to get used to (perhaps I should read the manual) it is very powerful and the instrument sounds that come with it are wide ranging and realistic. The keyboard is very robust. I personally find the keys to be a bit less responsive than a piano or expensive electric keyboard, but have got some real expression into my music once I got used to the feel of them. Being a largely one handed keyboard player the 25 keys are not a limitation for me. For those accomplished pianists amongst you I would recommend a keyboard with more keys! So far I have no issues and would recommend this as a good starting MIDI keyboard for any budding PC musician.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 11:41 PM GMT