Profile for J. Woodman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
A Consort Of Musicke Bye William Byrde And Orlando Gibbons
A Consort Of Musicke Bye William Byrde And Orlando Gibbons

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, 15 Sept. 2010
Glenn Gould gets some people in a very big way. I'm one of them - until now I had only his Bach piano pieces. When I became aware of his statement that Orlando Gibbons was his favorite composer, I had to have this set. Obviously they were not written for the piano, but Gould makes each piece sound fresh and wonderful. Some will almost break your heart. Gould's incredible ability to make the notes hang in mid-air is particularly well-suited to this repertoire. If you have enjoyed anything else by him, you owe it to yourself to buy this.

WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB External Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 - Black
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate., 15 Sept. 2010
Fantastic value. Took literally a couple of minutes to plug in, be recognised and start copying files. The best drive I've ever had - almost silent, good transfer speeds. And very rapid delivery to the Isle of Man - thanks, Amazon.

Clinging to the Wreckage: A Part of Life
Clinging to the Wreckage: A Part of Life
by John Mortimer

4.0 out of 5 stars OK - but ..., 22 Aug. 2010
A useful biography, but I feel that she was a little too close to her subject. I suspect that he was actually a great deal less attractive than she makes him appear. It would be good to have a more critical view of this very complex man.

Bach: English Suites, BWV 809 - 811, Volume 2 (Glenn Gould Anniversary Edition)
Bach: English Suites, BWV 809 - 811, Volume 2 (Glenn Gould Anniversary Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it., 22 Aug. 2010
At this price, you would be mad not to get it. Gould was a genius - I cannot imagine my life without him.

Wahl Clip N Rinse Cord Cordless Rinseable Rechargeable Hair Clipper Kit Black / Chrome 9639-017

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, 22 Aug. 2010
This is the third hair trimmer that I've had. My wife - who does the cutting - says that it is by far the best, powerful, accurate, much better because cordless. As recommended by her hairdresser.

The Pilgrimage to Santiago (Lost & Found) (Lost & Found)
The Pilgrimage to Santiago (Lost & Found) (Lost & Found)
by Edwin Mullins

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Mullins, but still good, 12 Aug. 2010
I came to this having been knocked sideways by his later work on Cluny (see my review). This is much earlier - written around his journey (mostly by car) to Santiago - and now republished. Full of learning and wisdom - highly recommended for those interested in the pilgrimage, the architecture of the route and the medieval mind. Not in any sense a practical how-to-do-it guide.

Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead
Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead
by Paula Byrne

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 12 Aug. 2010
I've read most of the standard texts about Waugh, and thought I was pretty knowledgeable. But there is a great deal of material new to me which has increased very significantly my understanding of the novels and of his character. A word of warning - for the first few chapters, I felt as if I was reading a cut-and-paste job from other biographers, but it soon becomes much more illuminating . And while she writes pretty well - a prerequisite for a Waugh biographer - there are a few purple passages.

In Search of Cluny: God's Lost Empire
In Search of Cluny: God's Lost Empire
by Edwin Mullins

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, 9 Jun. 2010
If you have any interest at all in the history of Europe in the middle ages, Romanesque art and architecture, or the rise and fall of the monasteries, you should buy this book. It is beautifully written, accessible but based on deep understanding. A tour de force - I came on it by chance, and I shall always be glad that I did.

All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!
All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space!
by Mel Bartholomew

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT APPROACH, 4 Jun. 2010
This is a terrific book which makes you reconsider your whole approach to gardening. I had to do this because of changed garden circumstances. This is my first season using his method, and I'm very impressed. It reduces to some very simple concepts - raised beds, a specific growing mixture, close planting, demarcated areas for each vegetable. The author is a retired American engineer who likes things to be done to precise specifications and ideally using the cheapest materials. That you can take or leave - but the basic concepts are excellent, and very clearly explained.

J.S Bach: Goldberg Variations [DVD] [2007]
J.S Bach: Goldberg Variations [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Andrea Bacchetti

4.0 out of 5 stars WELL WORTH PURCHASING, 1 Jun. 2010
The DVD is the reason to buy this - nicely shot, he is very interesting to watch and looks a lot like Beaker from the Muppets. The CD wouldn't make my Goldberg top 5, maybe not even my top 10. For me the ornamentation is way over the top.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10