Profile for J. Woodman > Reviews

RPAC USB DAC & Headphone Amplifier
RPAC USB DAC & Headphone Amplifier
Offered by Bartlett's HiFi

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 May 2012
Great product - plug in USB lead, plug in your headphones and listen to great sound. I've used two DACs before - a cheap one with a headphone socket and a very expensive one without and listened through the amp headphone socket. This is much better than either of them. Expensive, but life is too short to put up with unsatisfactory sound.

August DVB-T202 USB Freeview Tuner Stick - External PC TV Card with Digital (DVB-T) Television Receiver and PVR Style Recorder - Wintv Dongle Supported by Windows 7 / Vista / XP for Desktop and Laptop Computer
Offered by Daffodil UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpisingly good, 1 May 2012
First ever dongle - I didn't expect it to work. To my surprise, with a simple amplified indoor aerial it's giving very good pictures on more than enough channels for me, in a house with limestone wall two feet thick. Highly recommended.

Acoustic Solutions SP111 DAB and FM Tuner
Acoustic Solutions SP111 DAB and FM Tuner

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine to begin with. But ..., 31 Mar. 2012
Second one of these I have owned - their great advantage is the headphone socket with volume control, so that you can use it without an amp or speakers. Initially all was well: then the presets would disappear and have to be reset; next the screen display would come and go; now it will no longer tune to any DAB stations while still working on FM. Really not to be recommended.

The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain
by Maria Rosa Menocal

5.0 out of 5 stars PROFOUND BUT APPROACHABLE, 31 Mar. 2012
If you have any interest at all in the many interactions between Christianity, Islam and Judaism, you owe it to yourself to read this book. I approached it as a relatively uninformed layman with an interest in Islamic art, music of the middle ages and the romance languages, who had found himself more moved than he had expected by visits to Andalusia. I came away from it with a much greater understanding of the history of Al Andalus and the extraordinary ways in which the faiths had interacted during this crucial stage in the development of our world. I won't attempt to summarise it - simply to say that it is beautifully written, by a writer with the deepest insights into her subject, and that is has changed quite significantly how I view a whole range of issues of faith, culture, art, music and language. The only possible criticism, in my view, is a degree of repetition as she views the subject through the prism of different individuals: it's still worth sticking with it to the very last page.

PURE i-20, Digital Dock for iPod/iPhone with Hi-Fi Quality Audio and Video Output
Offered by iZilla

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 27 Feb. 2012
Excellent value. For £70 you get very high quality digital output to your hifi. Extremely easy to set up, and it's a doddle to dock and use your iPhone as the source. As far as I can see, the dinky remote - which my wife loves - simply controls the volume. Very rapid delivery from Amazon, and excellent packaging by Pure.

Monaco Professional High Quality Heavy Duty Ear Defenders SNR 36. Serious Ear Protectors.
Offered by PROTECTAPRO

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 24 Feb. 2012
Purchased for my wife, who always gets a migraine after flying. We live on the Isle of Man, and need to use planes not infrequently. She used these for the first time recently, with no migraine. They are very effective in cutting out engine noise - they're not elegant, but who cares. Highly recommended.

Gaggia Classic RI8161 Coffee Machine with Professional Filter Holder - Stainless Steel Body

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it - two have failed after six months!!, 24 Feb. 2012
Bought this after much agonising after my second expensive Italian espresso machine died. It is extremely flimsy - I think you need to regard it as disposable when anything breaks. But if you throw away the ridiculous pressured basket that it comes with and get some normal baskets and a bottomless, then you can get very reasonable espresso for less than £250.
UPDATE: it gave up the ghost after seven months. Pump working but no coffee coming out. Major kudos to Amazon for arranging replacement without any quibbling - suggests they may be aware of reliability issues. When the replacement breaks, I'll buy a proper machine.
SECOND UPDATE: the replacement has failed in exactly the same way after six months of use once a day. Again, every credit to Amazon - this time they are refunding the full purchase price. Save yourself the hassle and don't even think about buying one of these. I've gone back to a proper machine - the La Pavoni Europiccola (from my friends at Amazon).

Goldring Dr150 Headphones
Goldring Dr150 Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with Sennheiser, 24 Feb. 2012
All my other headphones are Sennheisers. I wear hearing aids, and the Sennheisers are large enough to cover the ear but not cause the aids to feed back. Thought I would try these for a change, and they looked pretty big. They are OK, but definitely smaller. No feedback, but less comfortable. Sound is perfectly acceptable. The removable cord is a very useful feature - you can substitute a shorter cord for use with portable devices.

Sennheiser RS 120-UK/Ireland power supply - RF Wireless Open Transparent And Well-Balanced Sound Transmitter

1.0 out of 5 stars Headphones will not stay in place, 30 Dec. 2011
Bought this to replace a previous extremely satisfactory purchase of the RS140 model - which is sadly no longer available. The Amazon and Sennheiser photos of the 120 made it appear that it was pretty well identical. In fact the headphones have a flat foam cover which means that they will not easily stay in place. The 140 headphones had padding around the rims which meant that they stayed in place beautifully. Since purchasing I have found out that the 140 headphones can be refurbished. Only buy this if you will sit completely motionless - which defeats the point of cordless headphones. My first unsatisfactory experience with Sennheiser - if I had retained the packaging I would be returning them to Amazon.

Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit
Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Get On with It!, 19 Sept. 2011
We have a classic wifi problem scenario. House with thick limestone internal walls, hi-end router but signal going only through floorboards. I'm old enough to be spooked by any solution that means I need to mess with router settings, IP addresses and the like. After many months of agonising, talking to supposed experts at my ISP, mooching around computer shops, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Devolo homeplugs. After a further reading of the very helpful Amazon reviews, I set them up. It took perhaps 15 minutes in total. The new wifi network from the plug works perfectly - my only issue is that I'm still having to instruct the PC manually to switch from one network to another. So - my advice is don't agonise about it any longer, order these and leave your wifi problems behind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10