Profile for Stiles > Reviews

Stiles (Halifax, UK.)

Lego Technic 8284 Tractor
Lego Technic 8284 Tractor

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome kit, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Lego Technic 8284 Tractor (Toy)
I stop building lego 17 years ago when I got my first computer but recently decided to check out the new kits. This tractor was my first one back and I am incredibly impressed. The intricacy of the design is truly fantastic. The tractor steering works sell, the plough at the back is linked to the drive, can be diseganged and raised. It's been wonderfully designed and I couldn't recommend it more highly. Next up is the Tow Truck - I have my lego bug back.

Helix 4 X Erasable Highlighters
Helix 4 X Erasable Highlighters

2.0 out of 5 stars DIsappointing., 20 Aug. 2008
The highlighters work well enough but aren't as clear as those that are not erasable. Erasability is not perfect and varies between colours. I would not feel comfortable using them in book which I didn't own as they do leave a mark.

Timex T80220 Upper Arm Semi-Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor
Timex T80220 Upper Arm Semi-Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Aug. 2008
An excellent product. It's very easy to use, accurate and has a clear display. Recommended.

Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus
Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus
by Oxford Dictionaries
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous., 20 Aug. 2008
This is a fabulous dictionary and thesaurus. The explanations are concise and easy to understand and the synonyms are clearly laid out and embedded within the dictionary. Highly recommended.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition
by Renni Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 14 Aug. 2008
Can I give it 6 stars?

This book contains everything I needed to know. It answered all my questions and gave me the tools I needed to turn a dire first draft into something I'm almost happy with and I'm going to read it again before I start the next draft. It cut the confusion out of writing and made me think about what I was doing in a more rational way. I can't recommend it highly enough... I've read a few of these and you need buy no other book about how to write.

The Complete Far Side
The Complete Far Side
by Gary Larson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 14 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Complete Far Side (Hardcover)
Beautifully bound and printed version of the greatest cartoon of all time. I love the letters various readers have sent in - they provide the perfect commentary to Larson's spins on life. Priceless.

The Outcast
The Outcast
by Sadie Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars The dire, the dreary and the depressing., 12 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Outcast (Paperback)
The good:
-The interesting plot.

The bad:
-The wooden characters.
-The pages of drivel on things that didn't seem to serve any purpose to the story.
-The writing style.

The ugly:
-The dire dialogue.
-The dreary introversion.
-The depressing waste of so many great opportunities to build tension and drama.

I find it depressing that this book has got so much positive attention. I want writing to pick me up, fling me round the room a few times and leave me dumped in a mess on my floor, trying to work out what just happened to me. This book did nothing more than irritate my senses in the same way that a bluebottle might if it were in my study, "crashing against the glass" and "doing a series of small somersaults".

It could have been great...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2008 12:56 AM BST