Profile for Alan > Reviews

Black Warm Magic Gloves with Palm Grip by RJM GL313
Black Warm Magic Gloves with Palm Grip by RJM GL313
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, 16 Feb 2014
Not very warm - I'd suggest buying 2 pairs if you live somewhere cold. Quite sticky on the inside so probably good for driving although I do not drive.

Toshiba Satellite C55-A-1N0 15.6-inch Notebook (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 8.1)
Offered by MCO SUPPLIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificient, 16 Feb 2014
This is a beast of a laptop for the price. Admittedly I upgraded to this from a 5 year old Sony 1.7GHZ Pentium with Vista so this was always going to be a step up, but at £440 from Costco(£469 is the current Amazon price) it seems like a real bargain.

After doing some research I learned that I was looking for an i5 processor, as this is a fast processor and good at multi-tasking - some of the software I run is very intensive - it was between this and the Lenovo Z500. The Lenovo had excellent reviews also and looks very nice, but the extra RAM and HD space did not seem worth the extra £120, so I opted for this Toshiba.

It is actually a lot better than I expected - the build is very solid, the keyboard is punchy and has a good feel (although some of the keys are a bit strangely placed), and the casing is shiny and nice to look at. The pointing device is rougher than I am used to - not sure which I prefer but it is not worse than the smooth variety. One of my favourite things is how quiet this laptop is - I am currently downloading a film, streaming a football match and typing this and still it barely gets out of first gear.

If I am looking for faults then perhaps the screen is lacking slightly in colour. Also the sound is very tinny so if that's a problem for you, you might consider buying some portable speakers. The power socket is in a strange place as well - on the left of the laptop where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyway these are all very minor and completely forgiveable. You won't regret buying this if you want a powerful machine that looks and feels great!

p.s. what's the big deal with Windows 8? There are some nice touches and if you want to avoid the start up screen then you can go straight to desktop. I even considered buying a Windows 7 machine after reading about Windows 8. Glad I didn't as I figured 8 out in a few hours....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 10:03 AM GMT