Profile for Michael Apple > Reviews

Content by Michael Apple

Michael Apple

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After The Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After The Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this interminable tale ever going to end?, 21 Jan. 2013
I enjoyed the first of the Ice and Fire series very much. I quite enjoyed the second. The third began to drag. I am now feel that I am being taken for a ride. Every now and again I feel the need for a happy ending for someone. This is just an interminable tale of woe. A trilogy with some sort of ending would have bene fine but this seems to be a never endingstory which involves all of the good guys coming to an unpleasant and early end. How much longer is Martin going to spin this out for?

A Deniable Death
A Deniable Death

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read for Seymour, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: A Deniable Death (Kindle Edition)
Another gripping tale of flawed characters! I could not put it down. If you like Seymour you will like this.

A Certain Justice (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 10)
A Certain Justice (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 21 Jan. 2013
Very much up to PD James' best standard. Some great characters. I really wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Other People's Money
Other People's Money

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant read., 21 Jan. 2013
I found this a pleasant read but it did not grip me. I was fairly ambivalent about whether or not I got to the end. The book is populated by reasonable pleasant characters but it was difficult to work up much concern about what happened to any of them. In the end no one seemed to have done anything very terrible and no one came to much harm.

Classic Westerns, 26 Zane Grey Novels with Active Table of Contents
Classic Westerns, 26 Zane Grey Novels with Active Table of Contents

2.0 out of 5 stars Corny and difficult to navigate, 21 Jan. 2013
I had forgotten how corny Zane Grey is. I ploughed through to the end of the first book but it was a struggle. I don't know what an "Active Table of Content" is supposed to mean. I had assumed that it meant you could use the table of content to navigate from one book to another but this does not seem to be the case. There appears to be nothing "active" about the table of content. The only good news was the price!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2013 9:25 AM BST

At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 5)
At Last (The Patrick Melrose Novels Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars At Last I have finished it!, 13 Nov. 2012
I found "At Last" disappointing and I struggled to finish it. There is realy no story. It consists of the reflections of various friends and relatives at the funeral of an elederly woman. These reflections reveal some rather disagreeable events from the past including child abuse and rape and quite a lot of acidic comment about other parties mostly arising from jealousy. Some might find the waspish humour of some of the reflections amusing but for me they did not compensate for the rather unpleasant nature of the subject matter.