Profile for C. Calisgil > Reviews

Content by C. Calisgil

C. Calisgil "Leyla" (Somerset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Lowepro Apex 100 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black
Lowepro Apex 100 AW Shoulder Bag for Digital Cameras/Camcorders - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars WRONG DIMENSIONS QUOTED, 24 Nov 2010
Having read the reviews for this camera bag, just wanted to clarify that the measurements quoted on this site are the EXTERNAL measurements. The internal measurements are indeed: 9.5 X 7.5 X 13 cm, as already quoted by another reviewer.

Corioliss SXE Baby Purple Zebra
Corioliss SXE Baby Purple Zebra

2.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL!, 8 Mar 2010
I was delighted when I found these mini straighteners, as they seemed the ideal tool for my short hairstyle. Imagine my disappointment when I first used them only to find that the outside of the straighteners were not heat resistent, ie., the outsides were extremely hot and impossible to touch. This, of course, means that they must be placed on a heat resistent mat during heating, as well as in between applying to the hair. When using on the back of my hair I need to hold the ends of the straighteners as I twist my wrist, otherwise I can't keep enough pressure to hold the hair firmly within the plates. This is impossible to do, unless I use a piece of material when grasping the ends, or a thick glove. They heat-up very quickly, which is excellent, and are ideal when travelling, but I think the fault I refer to makes them very difficult to use and I would not recomment them.

Braun Independent Steam CORDLESS GAS STYLING SYSTEM
Braun Independent Steam CORDLESS GAS STYLING SYSTEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't Want to be Without It!, 22 Feb 2010
Have recently replaced the one I owned for around 5 years, so I guess this fact alone speaks for itself. Brilliant when travelling of course, but I also use it a lot at home as it handles so well. The only fault I have to report (but remember I bought another despite this!), is that when the gas cartridge is getting low, it's sometimes difficult to obtain ignition. Another thing that would be a useful addition would be an indicator guide, showing how much gas remains although, as already mentioned, the ignition difficulty is usually an indicator that it's running low. A good buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 3:47 PM GMT

Fire in the Blood
Fire in the Blood
by Sandra Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The Age of Hypocrisy, 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: Fire in the Blood (Paperback)
As with Suite Francais I was hooked from the first page - exquisitly written. Set in rural Burgundy the story is told by Silvio - one-time traveller - a prodigal son who, by his own admission, was gone from home for so long that even the fatted calf had died of old age by the time he returned! Now he's elderly and living quite alone, but with cousins nearby. He lives in a community where {quote} 'Everyone lives in his own house, on his own land, distrusts his neighbours, harvests his wheat, counts his money and doesn't give a thought to the rest of the world.' Family loyalty is paramount and skeletons are kept in the cupboard. This story is woven around a secret that slowly reveals itself whilst we consider the various stages of life, and the fact that youth and age are usually at odds with each other. What Irene Nemirovsky has highlighted so well is the way most of us become clothed in respectibility and wisdom as we age, usually forgetting how it felt to be young - when we experienced that 'fire in the blood'. Although only a short novel, the author very cleverly covers a lot of ground; no wasted narrative - every word moves the reader to the story's conclusion. Wonderful!

Sepulchre
Sepulchre
by Kate Mosse

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts, Tarot Cards and All That, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: Sepulchre (Paperback)
I bought this novel because I really enjoyed The Labyrinth, but I was very disappointed. Simon Mayo of the Book Show, has written: 'Better than Labyrinth' - not true! I plodded through the first 300 pages, expecting things to get better and every now and again I was 'lifted' and so moved to continue. On reaching the end, however, I simply put it down and thought .........nothing!! The whole novel seems to have been written to a formula and has no real heart. Indeed, some parts in particular left me with the feeling that they'd been written by someone other than Kate Mosse! I've given 3 stars instead of 2, because I feel that perhaps my criticism is unfair due to the fact that I can't take ghosts seriously and for me the story is just TOO contrived, full of fantasy and therefore unbelieveable! Perhaps I was expecting too much. Another reader may well accept it for what it is - a ghost story, go along with the tale and enjoy it.

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Loyalty and Betrayal, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
Little wonder that this book was adapted into film - it has everything to keep the reader hooked - intrigue in every form: plots and counter plots, secret liaisons and powerful influences. Many stories featuring the court of Henry VIII have been told, but this one is different as it tells the story through Mary Boleyn's eyes. Philippa Gregory has dramatised history by adding her ideas of how it might, or could, have been; she did a convicing job and I was swept along with the tale. Henry was undoubtedly a sex addict and the sisters were, after all, not much more than children when they featured highly at Henry's court - no wonder Anne's character developed in the way it did. The elder Howards and Boleyns were quite awful and Anne was reputedly extremely intelligent so quickly followed the families' tradition of plotting and scheming. Mary, on the other hand, although not as clever, was the one who came out on top, finding real love and having the courage to follow it. A captivating story.

The Rose Of Sebastopol
The Rose Of Sebastopol
by Katharine McMahon

4.0 out of 5 stars For Men Must Work and Women Must Weep?, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Rose Of Sebastopol (Paperback)
I enjoy stories that are woven around fact and as I knew nothing of the Crimean War 'The Rose' also opened a new window for me. As well as the horrors of that war, Katherine McMahon also reminds us of the way it was for women in mid-19th century England - bound by society's conventions and expectations regarding the behaviour of a 'lady' and how this impacted on a woman's ability to be independent. Mariella embodies all that is acceptable, whilst her cousin: Rosa, with her free spirit and enquiring mind, was a woman born before her time. As the story unfolds, however, Mariella's life is turned upside down and she finds strengths and qualities in herself that may never have been revealed had it not been for Rosa and the war. A wonderful study of differing personalities and the effects that war had on the changing role of women within our society and the way being at war can change long held principles regarding love. Beautifully written and a book I found hard to put down.

Brokedown Palace
Brokedown Palace

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eclectic Treat, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Brokedown Palace (Audio CD)
Brokedown Palace, the film, was recently shown on TV in Turkey and I was enchanted by the soundtrack; so much so, that I sent to England for the CD. Since receiving it, it hasn't been replaced in the storage rack as it's played so often! My particular favourites are the opening track: 'Silence' by Delerium - haunting, PJ Harvey's 'The Wind' - very atmospheric, 'Deliver Me' a beautiful rendition by Sarah Brightman, and Plumb's 'Damaged' - beautiful lyrics. I also find myself singing along with Nancy Furtado's 'The Party's Just Begun'! There are a few tracks that I could live without, but that's the nature of a CD. All in all, a great mix.

Love in the Time of Cholera
Love in the Time of Cholera
by Gabriel García Márquez

4.0 out of 5 stars The Reality of Love and Life, 1 Feb 2009
Gabriel Garcia Marquez was in his late 50s when this novel was published and it's a treat to read a story that's a reflection of love in all its forms and through all the ages of man, written by an author who has lived long enough to observe, reflect and experience such. The married love between Fermina Daza and her husband Dr Juvenal Urbino; despite the fact that they didn't love one another at the time of marriage, deep and lasting love nevertheless evolved between them over the years. The marriage encountered problems, as most marriages do, but survives and is made stronger; the Doctor reminds his wife at one point that the the most important part of marriage is stability! In the background, but with his own agenda, lurks Florentino Ariza; he fell in love with Fermina when she was thirteen - an obsessive love that he cultivates over a period of more than 50 years. He waits for the Doctor to die, so that he may claim Fermina for himself. In the meantime he forms alliances with a great many women - each one carefully planned and many of them bringing love in some measure. Then, in his 70's, distant relatives entrust their 13-year-old daughter, America Vicuna, to his guardianship, whilst she attends school in his town. He sees her as a potential lover, so carefully cultivates her, until a year later, when she's 14, he seduces her. Despite the huge age difference, the girl falls in love with him and the consequences are far-reaching. As well as dealing with aspects of love, the author has some humerous observations regarding ageing. I particularly remember a passage when the Doctor is ruminating on his health and voices the fact that he's worried he'll either take too much notice of symptoms that mean nothing, or ignore symptoms that could be heralding the onset of something serious! (Anyone over the age of 55 will, I'm sure, identify with this!). After more than 50 years of marriage, the Doctor dies at the age of 81 as the result of an accident. Does Florentino Ariza's long-held dream of earthly paradise with Fermina materialise? You'll have to read the novel to find out! Thoroughly readable, treating the subject of love (and ageing) with realism and no nonsense!

All He Ever Wanted
All He Ever Wanted
by Anita Shreve

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fate of Unrequited Love, 27 Dec 2008
This review is from: All He Ever Wanted (Paperback)
This is the story not of an evil man, rather of a 'sad' man - an unexceptional man, who nevertheless wants success. Now sixty-four, Nicholas van Tassel tells his own story; how, at the turn of the 20th century and at the age of thirty, a bachelor and professor at a New England college, his eyes fall upon Etna Bliss and from that moment he's a man obsessed. He must have her and he will have her under any conditions. Etna is a woman of her time and a victim of circumstances which she sees as beyond her control - marriage seems a solution, even though she admits to Nicholas that she doesn't love him. His love for her, however, is so overwhelming that he believes she will, in time, learn to return that love. A recipe for disaster of course, heightened by the fact that he discovers on their wedding night that his wife is not a virgin! The years pass and the couple have two children; all appears well even though Etna has never found any passion for her husband. Then, fourteen years later, a newcomer arrives at the College and this sets a series of ripples in motion. Jealousy is born within Nicholas as he feels threatened; this time he will do what he has to in order to hold onto what he sees as his - both in his personal and professional life. At this time, Etna, although constrained by the conventions of that age, has a spark of independence in her and it's the actions that result from this free spirit that eventually cause the death of the marriage. Van Tassel, however, is even then reluctant to admit defeat and in trying desperately to win her back, he reduces himself to lies and deceit. Anita Shreve has created a real-life character in Van Tassel; we are able to observe how the gift of love can just as easily turn into a curse. And love has no respect for intelligence - all are equal when caught in its thrall and all can find themselves capable of acting upon baser instincts when loss is threatened. A good read(and this was second time 'round for me!).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9