Profile for Carole Eva > Reviews

Content by Carole Eva

Carole Eva "Leyla" (Somerset, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Avonmore
Avonmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back Mr Ferry!, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Avonmore (Audio CD)
Have been a great fan of Bryan Ferry for most of the 40 years he's been around, and I'm delighted with this latest CD. Have only owned it for a couple of days, but each time I listen to it I make a new discovery and it's already growing on me. Although 8 of the tracks are new, the whole experience seems like a modern Avalon, which has always been my favourite album. I also found his cover version of Send in the Clowns very appealing - maybe my sardonic self is attracted to his excellent interpretation! All in all, I believe it's one of those albums that I'm going to continue playing for many years - one happy fan!

The Tudor Bride
The Tudor Bride
by Joanna Hickson

4.0 out of 5 stars A Life of Much Sadness, 24 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)
The Tudor Bride is the sequel to The Agincourt Bride, and focuses on Queen Catherine's life in England, following her marriage to Henry V in France. Soon after giving birth to a son, later Henry VI, her husband died an untimely death and Katherine was left as Queen dowager at the age of 21. After quite a number of years, she secretly married one of her late husband's archers: Owen Tudor and it was through the eldest son of that marriage, Edmund, later Earl of Richmond, that the Tudor dynasty was born, when he fathered a son who became Henry VII, The Tudor Bride is a dramatised version of events and I found it a real page turner. If you have an interest in this period of history, you'll enjoy it too.

ROTATING 360 LEATHER CASE COVER + SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR APPLE IPAD 2 AND 3 AND IPAD 4 4TH GEN - BY SMARTPHONEZ_UK (PURPLE)
Offered by Smartphonez UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and Practical, 8 Jan. 2014
I couldn't have asked for anything better! Very good quality - a smart accessory for the ipad. The 360 degree rotation makes for ease of use (my old cover didn't have the rotation facility) and it's available in so many colours to suit all tastes. An excellent product.

[ Dominion ] [ DOMINION ] BY Sansom, C. J. ( AUTHOR ) Oct-25-2012 HardCover
[ Dominion ] [ DOMINION ] BY Sansom, C. J. ( AUTHOR ) Oct-25-2012 HardCover
by C. J. Sansom

4.0 out of 5 stars What If?, 10 Sept. 2013
C J Sansom's novels never fail to captivate me and his latest novel was no exception! Ever imagined what life might have been like if Britain hadn't fought WW2, but had signed a peace treaty with Germany in 1940, thereby becoming their ally? Well, the author has done just that and has woven an engrossing spy thriller and love story in Dominion. Names from the past leap out at the reader: Churchill (leader of the Resistance organisation), Beaverbrook (Prime Minister, as well as newspaper magnet), Powell (India Secretary), Mosely (Home Secretary), Butler (Foreign Secretary), Rommel (German Ambassador), and so on. This line-up gives a flavour of the state of Britain in Sansom's 1952! Freedom of speech doesn't exist - toe the line and don't get noticed - that's the best way to get by. But Churchill's movement is gaining support - the British are fed-up with being oppressed, and undercurrents are becoming stronger. The main character is a civil servant: David Fitzgerald, who carries a personal secret that cannot be revealed, not even to his wife. Want to know more? Read the book - you won't be disappointed!

Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Shardlake Rides Again!, 10 Jun. 2013
I'm addicted to C J Sansom's 'Shardlake' novels and Heartstone, the fifth book, is equally as brilliant as the previous four. If you have a love of history and enjoy a good crime novel, then you won't be disappointed. Heartstone takes the reader back to 1545, when Henry VIII was married to Catherine Parr. As with all the Shardlake novels, there is always a link between the heart of the tale and those close to the King (much intrigue!). The story takes us from London to Portsmouth and contains a lot of detail relating to the Battle of the Solent, when the Mary Rose sank. Once again, I was transported back to 16th century England; Sansom recreates so well the essence of English life 500 years ago. Although this is a stand-alone novel, I would advise reading them in order, because you really feel you're building a relationship with the hero as you move through the novels. Difficult to put down, yet didn't want to reach the end!

Nicky Clarke 19mm Hair Therapy Digital Pro Ceramic Tong NTS049
Nicky Clarke 19mm Hair Therapy Digital Pro Ceramic Tong NTS049

4.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Heat-Up, 10 Jun. 2013
Bought these to replace my Wahl tong that had given up the ghost! Chose them for the name and its features. They heat rapidly and there are a range of temperatures to choose from. My hair is short, thick, straight and strong and they do a good job at 210C, even though the clamp doesn't grip as firmly as my old one. On the down side, they do take a long time to cool, so if you're on the move you'll need to purchase a heatproof pouch to carry it in. The handle is oval, rather than round; this makes it comfortable to hold, but when I place it onto the work surface during use, I find that I have to give the handle a slight flick in order for the cable to move into the correct angle for placement. If I don't do this, the cable doesn't move into the correct position and will cause the very hot tong to topple sideways, taking its stand with it, on placement. For this reason, I think the handle shape is not a good design feature, even though it is of pleasing appearance. It does a good job though, so am quite happy with it.

A Darker Domain
A Darker Domain
by Val McDermid

3.0 out of 5 stars When Two Become One!, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: A Darker Domain (Paperback)
Although I'd watched and enjoyed 'Wire in the Blood', this was my first Val McDermid novel. I liked the way the author skillfully drew us into the idea that two seemingly isolated cases - one more than 20 years old and the second much more recent, were in fact related. The first half of the story was intriguing, but thereafter disenchantment set in! I'd worked out the rest of the story and the second half of the book was merely padding. The final disappointment was the finale: a real anti-climax! Sorry to say that when I closed the final cover I was not left with any sense of satisfaction.

Luminarc Brandy Glass, Pack of 4
Luminarc Brandy Glass, Pack of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars A No Nonsense Brandy Glass, 21 Jan. 2012
Just what I was looking for: a plain and simple brandy glass! Nothing exceptional, but good value and delivery was excellent. Would recommend to anyone looking for a 'no frills' snifter.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Accessory, 20 Jun. 2011
I bought this for my grandson to use on his new phone, as I thought it would give the phone that extra bit of protection. This it has done, so can certainly confirm that the item is fit for use. Once ordered, the item was very quickly received, so no complaints in that area. To sum up: everything as it should be!

No more bolero's
No more bolero's

4.0 out of 5 stars USED, BUT EXCELLENT CONDITION, 16 Feb. 2011
This review is from: No more bolero's (Audio CD)
This CD was used, but described as condition 'Very Good'. I can confirm that it was in very good condition and I've enjoyed listening to it - No More Bolero is an old, but beautiful song. Communication from the point of ordering was excellent, and although it was despatched from Germany, it was with me within a few days. All good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9