ARRAY(0xa2686984)

Something Quite Beautiful: No Greater Love
Something Quite Beautiful: No Greater Love
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars There But For The Grace Of God......., 1 Jun 2013
Mrs Prowse never ceases to write gripping & intriguing stuff. I bet I'd be hooked reading her shopping list! As in her previous works, the characters come alive and the reader gets to know these people and their emotions and consequently also feels every hurt and pain but also the joy and relief.
This story drags us all down to the grim reality of the shallow pool of life and then uplifts us to the humanity in life. But it's the in between parts that Amanda excels at. This story questions punishment. It forces the reader to examine a whole amalgam of issues and feel a responsibility to the world around us. Her writing doesn't allow you to sit quietly and read, on the contrary, her writing isn't simply for fun. Her work makes you sit up and think! The characters, good and not so good haunt you afterwards. They become real and one really feels for them.
As with all Amanda's work, it has to be read over and over because there's always little clues or obscurities that one might miss first time round. The postcards for example, why didn't I get that first time?
This is what I love about her writing, it can't be read at face value. Also, as with all her work, every paragraph flows into the next, there's never any boring parts where the reader can begin to lose interest.
This story is cunning, clever, haunting and much more. Yet another superb piece of work Mrs Prowse that leaves me thinking, 'There but for the grace of God go I'.

What Have I Done?
What Have I Done?
by Amanda Prowse
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly provocative & challenging!, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (Hardcover)
Amanda Prowse has done it again! Another heart wrenching story. But yet her novels aren't merely stories. They are not purely for entertainment. Mrs Prowse has a profoundly developed style of writing into which she immediately hooks the reader into the psyche of her characters. Having suffered domestic violence for a few years many years ago this story made me numb. At last women have a voice through Amanda's wonderful works. She equips her characters with hearts and souls that we can all recognise. We are these people and they are us and that Mrs Amanda Prowse is a remarkable talent.
The transition of Kathryn Brooker to Kate Gavier is more than highlighting the journey of this woman. This book is an exceptional social study and psychological study of sacrifice and survival.
This book confronts domestic violence and human subjugation head on, no frills, no fuss, just the raw cruel and seedy reality of what women endure on a daily basis. I was absolutely gripped throughout. Not one single paragraph is tiresome. This novel doesn't attempt to shock, on the contrary Kate never seeks sympathy as women who suffer this don't. Mrs Prowse tells the story for many women and indeed men.
I want the world to read this book; for many reasons. One particular reason is that I feel this book can empower and heal. I thank you Mrs Prowse for writing and knowing some the emotions that even years later I couldn't make sense out of until reading this.
A haunting novel, a story of truth, a pillow to rest upon; these are but a few things of what this book is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 5:03 PM BST

Guernsey Evacuees
Guernsey Evacuees
by Gillian Mawson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Book!, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Guernsey Evacuees (Paperback)
I had been looking forward to this book for some time. When I recieved it I was delighted. I have been teaching History for many years and I hadn't been aware of the plight of the people of Guernsey.
The book is basically brilliant! Gillian shows immense skill as a Historian and social researcher and clearly has a passion for her subject. The research provides the reader with a full insight into the lives of the Guernsey Evacuees. The book is an academic text but Gillian's skill makes it extremely accessible to a much wider audience.
The vast collection of photographs included in the book really bring it all to life. Overall, a thoroughly excellent book and I highly recommend it!

Poppy Day
Poppy Day
by Amanda Prowse

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Story!, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Poppy Day (Paperback)
This story is an amazing read! Amanda Prowse has a wonderful way with words and the characters in the story really come alive! It's a current and important book which has to be read! Poppy Day