Profile for Priya > Reviews

Priya (Manchester)

Legal Skills
Legal Skills
by Dr Emily Finch

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that you ever wanted to know about studying law but never got told, 4 Oct 2007
This review is from: Legal Skills (Paperback)
I love this book. I can't believe that I didn't have it before because it would have saved me so much grief. It has everything in it that my lecturers kept telling me that I ought to be doing but never seemed to think it was there job to tell me how I should be doing it. It is like referencing. I kept getting work back that said my referencing wasn't good enough but never once did anyone tell me how to make it better. It is the same with problem questions. Telling me that I didn't have the technique was never going to help me get it. But now this book tells me all the things that I need to know and I can see how much it is going to help me. It is like the sections on finding cases and articles. I've never been able to find things and I'd given up and thought 'if it's not in my textbook, I'm not going to read it' but the really simple instructions on searching gave me courage to try and now it is all so easy that I don't know what I thought it was a problem. If I'd had this book to do my first year legal systems course then I wouldn't have struggled nearly as much as I did. All you need as a student is someone to tell you how to do things but lecturers don't do that - they just expect you to be able to do it by magic and then have a go at you for getting it wrong. This book tells me how to do all sorts of things and now I am a much better student as a result. My only complaint is that I've had to get through two years of my degree without anybody telling me these things before. I mean, why not? This books makes it all so easy so surely someone at my university could have spelt things out for us a bit more. This should be compulsory reading for every law student everywhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 12:54 PM GMT