Profile for Everybodylies > Reviews

Girl From Rio [DVD]
Girl From Rio [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Laurie

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugh, leave out the ruffled shirts, 23 Nov 2014
This review is from: Girl From Rio [DVD] (DVD)
Much as I like Hugh Laurie, this was so bad that I fast forwarded after the first half. Cliched and cringe worthy from the dancing to the script. Can't think of a redeeming feature except possibly Lia Williams and even she was made to over act in the sex on a machine scene a la Harry met Sally vocalizing. Spare me any more like this.

Oyster Farmer [DVD]
Oyster Farmer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex O'loughlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous location, quirky characters and the lovely Alex..., 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Oyster Farmer [DVD] (DVD)
Beautifully acted, filmed and a memorable snapshot of a coming of age moment in a young mans life. The characters were believable in their goodness and badness and well rounded Its amazing that this was Alex O'Loughlins first major role and yet is possibly his best.
The location and backdrop of oyster farming is a central aspect and the cinematography is a joy to watch evoking the Irish roots of Some of the main characters and the industry.
Lots of quirky events, good script and a very high feel good factor without any sentimentality at all even with dogs involved! Loved it.

Chicago Hope - Season 6 [DVD]
Chicago Hope - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adam Arkin
Offered by Wowudo

2.0 out of 5 stars Great influential series Terrible final season, 18 Sep 2014
Disappointing end to a great series which really was the birthplace of Greys and House. I so enjoyed the early seasons but it becomes obvious that something weird was going on with the producers and possible involving Mandy Patinkin who pops in and out of the later seasons like an alien jack in the box. Don't know how Alan Arkin stuck it out to the very bitter end. He was excellent and consistent in character. In the end I couldn't wait for it to be over and will never re watch seasons 5 and 6. Why throw out most of a decent cast like the Billy character etc to replace with glamorous bores. Terrible writing.
I will however go back to the first 2 seasons sometime. Mandy and Adam had an entertaining bromance going on which is the template for House and Wilson and thankfully that relationship was fully rounded, nuanced and developed throughout 8 seasons and ended beautifully. Not so with Arkin and Patinkin who were cut short for whatever reason. Maybe Mandy got a better offer or threw a tantrum.
In conclusion I wish I had not seen seasons 5 and especially 6. My first impression of the show was ruined but I still have great respect for the early producers, writers and cast who actually created something memorable and very influential in going down the route of character development rather than medical cases and sentimentality. Were there patients in the first 2 seasons?? Don't remember them!

Dylan Moran: The Whole Collected Thing [DVD]
Dylan Moran: The Whole Collected Thing [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Unique Talent for Moaning!, 18 Aug 2014
This is laid back comedy at its best from a genius who is just as relaxed in front of thousands as in a small club. He seems to be speaking or slurring from the heart straight to the listener. Even the pauses between the off the wall gems of wisdom, are full of expectation and part of the delivery that just flows and fascinates. Riveting stuff especially if you are tired of the frantic quick fire style of delivery.
Dylan stands out as a comedian whose stage persona manages to be a strange mix of confused complainer and honest commentator that is hilarious and never mean spirited.
This is an excellent collection to go back to time and again and inspired me to revisit the Black Books TV series which is another gem for Dylan fans, also showing the talents of Bill Bailey and Tamsin Grieg along with a long string of amazing guest actors such as Simon Pegg and Julian Rhind-Tutt.

El Naturalista Womens Clogs N183 Pink 5 UK, 38 EU
El Naturalista Womens Clogs N183 Pink 5 UK, 38 EU

3.0 out of 5 stars Look great but design fault, 29 May 2014
I was so pleased with the look of these sandals as they are a comfortable and stable shape for all day wear and the colour and quality of the materials is good but I have sensitive skin and the slashes in the uppers which look fine actually hurt the top of my foot because the edges of the cuts in the leather are rough and abrasive to the extent that I could not wear them to work all day as it is painful, causing red marks..
Of course I have tried rubbing with candle wax inside and stuffing with paper but it hasn't helped.. I tried wearing them at home around the house to soften them up but it was uncomfortable. They are the correct size, nothing is pinching ..it is these edges at the cut out pattern that is the problem. Would have been fine without this unecessary embellishment. So I have expensive trendy comfortable looking shoes which my sore feet are telling me not to bother with.

Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Douglas Henshall

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star location and interesting series, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Shetland - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Low key entertainment with solid acting from all and I was happy with the accents as I'm not Scottish or familiar with Shetland. I enjoyed the series and will put it away for rewatching in a year or two but I felt it was missing a bit of charism which is necessary in the lead actors in order to make a series memorable. Dougie Henshall is fine but I'm not a fan as he strikes me as more of a support than a lead. I suppose I'm spoiled by the memorizing performances of the likes of John Sim, Jason Isaacs, Phillip Glenister, Kevin McKidd to mention a few who have appeared in British Drama so Dougie just doesn't cut it in this league. I didn't get invested in the characters or relationships but the episodes held my interest. Shetland is the real star and the series is certainly worth a watch for the cinematography alone. The colours and atmosphere were so evocative of that part of the world that I could almost feel the cold breezes blowing.

The Broken Hearts Club [DVD]
The Broken Hearts Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't categorize --- just enjoy it, 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Broken Hearts Club [DVD] (DVD)
This is such an entertaining look at friendship, dating, settling down but with the difference that it's not a chick flick but from the gay guy angle. It is superbly acted with Timothy Oliphant and Dean Cain as the standouts but all the supporting cast are great too. A few over the top camp moments but on the whole, it's humorous and touching with a definite feel good factor which is often missing when movies attempt this subject. Well worth a watch

The Oranges [DVD]
The Oranges [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Laurie

3.0 out of 5 stars Hugh is an actor of extremes, 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Oranges [DVD] (DVD)
While remaining watchable, The Oranges is an underwhelming movie which wastes the huge talents of Hugh Laurie as a character who is so nice and middle aged man next door that I half expected to see Stuart Little pop up from his pocket.
I expect he was trying to do something different than his irascible quick witted House character and he does this in a competent manner but the whole thing is just an unconvincing light weight look at a mid life crisis. The acting is OK but a disappointing next move for an actor who is so compelling in more extreme roles whether it be George in Blackadder or the creepy spymaster in Spooks.
If Hugh gets tired of playing with playing blues, I hope he finds a great crazy character to get his teeth into as is his forte! Meanwhile this movie is worth a watch but don't expect another masterpiece.

Episodes Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Episodes Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt LeBlanc

4.0 out of 5 stars Matt steals the show!, 1 May 2014
Unexpectedly entertaining take on a combination of temptation , sex, adultery, consumerism, TV big business all set within a sit com about the making of a sit com and surprisingly----it works. It makes me laugh even if Tamsins delivery is occasionally irritating but Matt Leblanc is a revelation as an actor. I imagine it's not easy to play yourself but not your real self and be thoroughly believable and funny. It's not for the prudish but the whole thing is done with such charm, wit and humour that it is impossible to be offended. Have enjoyed rewatching which I think is the mark of a quality show and am looking forward to Season 3 hoping that Matt will continue to be the aging but irrisistable naughty boy. The storyline about inviting his stalker round because he was lonely and needed an ego boost is pure tragi - comedy.

Chicago Fire - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Chicago Fire - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jesse Spencer

1.0 out of 5 stars Great entertaining 5 Star show so why one star?, 13 Mar 2014
If you can't watch and enjoy the shows because of damaged disks how can you rate it the 5 stars it deserves? My first copy had 3 scratched disks which ruined the experience but I saw enough to know that this was a top quality programme with good acting and different storylines. I don't care if it's spot on authentic or not ---- I am not buying a documentary! It was exciting and sexy with good character development all round.
Now the bad news---wouldn't you think that at this stage of marketing DVDs, the developers would put disk protection high up on the list ---- well whoever designed this casing should be fired. It actively destroys perfectly well manufactured disks by having sharp circular markings around the centre fitting which scratches the bottom disk on each leaf. Disk 5 was the most damaged as it has an extra straight plastic raised bar just incase the circular marks didn't do the job properly.
I spotted the cause of the scratches as soon as I got the replacement copy as I inspected all the disks carefully before playing and there was the evidence. The marks on the disks match up perfectly with the plastic raised patterns they are resting on. I gave the disks a good cleaning first and surprisingly this copy did play although marks are visible so I have repacked the set in soft covers. No point in returning as the next one will be the same until the casings are changed.
What a shame to do this --- it's an insult to the hard work and talent of all those involved in producing the show. hope Amazon will take action to fix this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3