Profile for philjcoates > Reviews

Content by philjcoates

philjcoates

Scotts Old Fashioned Oats 1 kg (Pack of 12)
Scotts Old Fashioned Oats 1 kg (Pack of 12)

1.0 out of 5 stars Twice the price, 25 Sep 2014
Great product but at over twice the price of the same product from Tesco! I don't think I'll be getting them here

The Chase (Kate O'Hare Book 2)
The Chase (Kate O'Hare Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars fun, 2 April 2014
As with all of her books, it's pure entertainment. I buy one every time I catch a plane. Full of amusement and an engaging plot with great characters and a strong female lead.

I Am a Strange Loop
I Am a Strange Loop
by Douglas R. Hofstadter

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 2 April 2014
This review is from: I Am a Strange Loop (Paperback)
I think Mr Hofstadter works on the principle, never say something in 100 words when you can use a thousand. It's full of personal anecdote of the "too much information" kind. When I eventually got to what I thought was going to be the crunch of the matter... i.e. the deep nature of consciousness he dismisses the question in a sentence that equates it to mere thinking. He does have something interesting to say about the nature of self and there is an interesting but badly explained insight into the work of Goedel but I don't think it's worth the effort of ploughing through the rest of it to get to them.

30-Second Philosophies: The 50 Most Thought-provoking Philosophies, Each Explained in Half a Minute

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 2 April 2014
There are books out there that will give you a succint insight into a range of philosophical works. This isn't one of them. If you know any philosophy at all you already know more than you'll get from this book. And if you don't know anything and just want a quick insight and introduction then you won't be any the wiser after reading it. The thirty second thing is just a gimic masking a trivial and at times plain wrong set of superficial and badly written paragraphs.

Canon PIXMA MG7150 Tintenstrahl-AIO (A4, Printer, copier, Scanner, USB, LAN, WLAN, Duplex)
Offered by dedica informatica

2.0 out of 5 stars over complicated, overpriced, oversized, 16 Dec 2013
I like the canon printers with multiple inks and bought this one as a replacement for my pixma mp630. It prints well enough using wifi with my imac and my iPad. The set up was a bit long winded but not beyond anyone who put their mind to it. However the features it boasts of in the ads.. being able to send photos from a smart phone from the other side of the world for example, require an even more long winded setting up and I gave up on it. (I really shouldn't have to give my phone number and date of birth to Canon just to use a printer) In fact the more I looked at it's most vaunted features the more it looked like Canon wanted to take over my digital life. There was zero acknowldgement that a user might want to use the software (Adobe CS5 and iphoto in my case) they already had. The on-screen manual is in a tiny font that's barely legible and not adjustable while the footprint of the printer is approaching the size of a small car. I was attracted to this model by its two tray paper feed.... thinking I could put photo paper in one and ordinary paper in the other .... in my dreams. As far as I can tell the only real function of the upper cassette is to make access to the lower cassette more difficult. You can't put A4 photo paper in it.. only non standard sized things like DVDs and postcard sized photo paper. So I'll have to do everything from the bottom cassette and keep changing the paper in it. It probably performs about as well as the old MP 630 ... with wifi but without any easy way to put card and photopaper in it + for close to twice the price + with a much bigger demand on desk space. In summary, if you want the print quality and don't care about the other stuff then you'll be fine. It will print, scan and copy without too much persuasion. If you don't need a multiple ink system, buy something cheaper, smaller and simpler.

The Fast Diet: The secret of intermittent fasting - lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

5.0 out of 5 stars read it.. do it.. live better, 26 May 2013
Sane and practical. Everyone should do this. Throw away every other diet book, enjoy your life more and expect to be healthier.

Jakar Electric Pencil Sharpener
Jakar Electric Pencil Sharpener
Offered by Hobby Art & Crafts

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 14 Feb 2013
I'm a professional teacher this gadget seemed expensive and the reviews weren't all that encouraging. I bought one anyway. It's been no bother. My pencils are all sharp now. It saves me so much time and aggregation. No more hand cranking, no more pencils with lead that keeps falling out. It won't take oversized pencils and on the rare occasion a lead does break inside it can be a faff getting the thing clear again. Overall though, if you do a lot of pencil sharpening ... get one.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 1:00 AM GMT

High Speed 7-Port Octopus USB 2.0 Hub With AC Adapter
High Speed 7-Port Octopus USB 2.0 Hub With AC Adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother it doesn't work, 4 Dec 2010
The AC power supply wasn't the right one for the hub. So I couldn't even make a start with it. Idiotic!