Profile for R. Lawrie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Met Office Weather
Met Office Weather

1.0 out of 5 stars won't install end of, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Met Office Weather (App)
Tried several times to install this app onto my Fire hd6 to no avail. Downloads but won't install whatever I try !

MINI GLUE GUN + 52 GLUE STICKS HOT MELT GLUE GUN HOBBY CRAFT MINI GUN GLUE STICK
Offered by Babz Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fair for purpose., 15 Feb. 2015
I bought this item based on previous reviews but either I received a duff example or the other reviews are simply over generous. From the very first use the gun simply oozed glue continuously once warmed up after plugging in. I have received cheap but reasonable quality products from this seller in the past and been very happy with them but unfortunately this is not one of them.

Beyond Time Travel - Exploring Our Parallel Worlds: Amazing Real Life Stories in the News (Time Travel Books Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars More depth required I think., 16 July 2014
I found this to be interesting in a `waiting at the doctors and looking for a quick read` sort of way. I was looking for more corroboration and more depth really. I am drawn to the idea of a multiverse as a way to explain many phenomena experienced by real people who are sadly branded lunatics or attention seekers far too often. I think that spending a little more money than I did for this title may well have secured me a deeper look at the subject. Entertaining it was though.

Untouchables: Dirty cops, bent justice and racism in Scotland Yard (Bloomsbury Reader)

5.0 out of 5 stars I am surprised that this material is available in our `police state`.....read it !!, 16 July 2014
The 5 stars denote `I love it` which is a paradox really since the book, the writing and investigative skills of the authors do indeed warrant the 5 stars and more but the subject matter and inherent sleaze clearly exposed is worrying to the core. I am very sorry to say that I am really not surprised by some of the revelations but the extent of the corruption is greater than I expected. I have had occasion to deal first hand with some of the characters written about in this account and it simply rings true as far as I am concerned. So much so that I believe this to be an accurate and true account of the state of affairs in our Criminal Justice System at the time and very likely still as true today and probably tomorrow.

Healthy Hot Air Popcorn Maker Kit with Popcorn and Popcorn Seasoning - Popcorn Machine
Offered by JM POSNER

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine up to now, 21 Feb. 2014
I bought this item because I wanted a low fat, gluten free, easily prepared and inexpensive snack on tap as it were. After 4 uses the machine is performing consistently and exactly as hoped and expected. I have read many reviews on similar products and the main criticism appears to be that there are issues with the odd un-popped kernels remaining after the cycle is complete or that there are a few rogue `corns` escape the bowl. My answer to this is that there are a few kernels left un-popped and a few do escape once popped but so what ? The kernels are cheap as chips and what`s one or two ( and that's all it is in this machine`s case ) pieces of popcorn on the floor ?
In a word ; recommended.

Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray #2)
Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray #2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 5 April 2013
I read this book after having read and enjoyed the first novel in the Gray series. I enjoyed this one too but I have to say that not however quite as much as the first outing.
I thought the setting was good but I felt that some of the characters could have been investigated a little more by Mr McDermott. Having said that it`s a purchase that I am glad I made.

Zanzibar 16 Box Spice Chest
Zanzibar 16 Box Spice Chest

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 5 April 2013
I have given this item a 5 star rating on the grounds that my wife (for whom it was bought) absolutely adores it. I have to say that before I purchased it for her I was sure that once it arrived I would feel that it was over-priced. This proved, in my opinion to be definitely not the case.
The wood that makes up the box part is a lovely colour and is very well shaped which shows off the grain very well. The ceramic draws are a very good fit in the frame and are painted in beautiful bright colours.
I was so happy with the quality of this item that I went on to purchase the 4 draw version which proved to be just as beautiful..

World War Z
World War Z

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Drawer Read, 5 April 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
I was a little dubious about this really, the format sounded as though it could make the story a tad repetitive and simply read as a list of various experiences. I was completely wrong on that score. The narrative was superb and although all the `interviewees` were describing the same phenomena their take on it and the situations and problems were so variable as to make it compulsive reading.
It`s fair to say that this novel has been my favorite read to date since my entry into the world of Kindle. My advice is that if you feel, even remotely that this book may be of some interest to you then read it, you most certainly won`t be disappointed.

White Bones (Katie Maguire Book 1)
White Bones (Katie Maguire Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Graham Masterton as I remember him., 21 Mar. 2013
I really enjoyed this novel. I chose it because as a teenager I read quite a few of Mastertons stuff and thoroughly enjoyed them. I wondered if his return to the horror genre would still hit the mark. It did. I read one review in particular which said that this novel was far too visceral to enjoy. I say nonsense. There is a strong element of gore but hey, this is a horror novel combined with some procedural police stuff which I feel brings the whole story to life. Great plot, setting and character profiles I would say and I would have no hesitation in recommending this to horror and/or detective fans.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation ?, 6 Feb. 2013
I have to say that I had high hopes for this book having read some great reviews from other Kindle users. Unfortunately, for me the substance of the story was just not there. It moved along nicely and there were moments of amusement but nothing really moved me and I never cared for any of the characters to be honest. I think that this has been translated from it`s original Swedish and I think that some essential nuances have been lost in doing so.
Not for me I am afraid.