Profile for A. King > Reviews

Content by A. King

A. King (SE England)

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful protective case for when you sling your Xoom into a bag., 4 July 2011
Why, why, why didn't they make a few extra holes to let you plug stuff in with the case on?! The case is quite fiddly to get on and off, and it usually fouls the volume buttons in the process. The tilt option is OK provided you are just watching a film or something - as soon as you touch the screen though you risk knocking it over. I generally have the Xoom upside down so I can prop it up and have access to the connectors - otherwise you can't charge it in the case, or access the hdmi or usb ports. It's even less stable that way up though.

On the plus side, the case protects the Xoom well, especially the corners - I wouldn't travel without it.

Genuine Motorola Standard Dock for Xoom (no charging cables are included)
Genuine Motorola Standard Dock for Xoom (no charging cables are included)
Offered by Terminal 1
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 4 July 2011
It's just a charging stand that you can plug speakers into. Great. It's really fiddly to get the Xoom into it, and once in, you can't use the USB or HDMI ports, so for my purposes - developing applications - it's completely useless.

As a charging stand, once you get your Xoom into it it's fairly stable, and it does look quite nice, but no way is it worth the price. If it broke out all the connectors then I'd recommend it, but as it is I'm glad I got it bundled for free - that's about what it's worth IMO.

USB 7-port Powered Tower Hub
USB 7-port Powered Tower Hub

2.0 out of 5 stars works ok but not well made, 22 May 2011
This review is from: USB 7-port Powered Tower Hub
One of the sockets broke the first time I used it. Seems reliable enough - doesn't power up a USB powered hard drive though which is slightly disappointing given that it has an external power supply, (but the drive does bend the spec somewhat). It's tiny, and very lightweight, which means it gets dragged around my desk by whatever is plugged into it - the stand is pretty useless - even if I did stick it down the hub would come out of it too easily. Not entirely surprised given the price of it, but I won't be getting another one.

Bumbo Toilet Trainer (Pink)
Bumbo Toilet Trainer (Pink)
Price: 16.64

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, badly made, 13 Sep 2010
My baby sits really well in this seat, and really wants to use it; he's not keen on potties. However, after a week or two, it developed a split right up the front; being a boy he was at risk of getting seriously injured in the split. It has split simply through poor choice of material; it is made from foam which just isn't able to support the loading at the narrow point at the front.

We had two of these (one for our house, one for his grandparents) and they have both broken in the same way, so definitely do not buy. We might try a Prince Lionheart Wee Pod to replace it with, which appears to have been made with some more suitable materials.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 9:41 AM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great saw, poor ergonomics, 11 Feb 2010
Very, very impressed with the speed and accuracy of cut. The depth guage is nicely made too, though calibrate it yourself rather than reading the numbers on the guage. A nice touch is the markings on the plunge guide that tell you where the blade is for a given depth of cut.

There is a plunge lock installed which I removed, as otherwise you need to have three hands to operate the tool - this was apparently a late design addition to cover certain safety requirements in the EU. The power switch is very fiddly; something you squeeze in rather than sliding up would be better.

The tube to connect it to a vacuum cleaner is unique in my experience in that it actually works!

Overall I'm impressed; a few tweaks to the power switch and plunge lock and it would be perfect.

Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))
by Jennifer Niederst Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough guide to html (1st edition), 8 April 2002
This is one book that I use every day - provided I can extract it from the fingers of my cow-orkers who keep borrowing it ! Every tag is described in depth, and it is one of the few books I've come across that describes CSS in a meaningful way.