ARRAY(0xadf3d3cc)

Profile for Sophie Boss > Reviews

Content by Sophie Boss

Sophie Boss "The anti-diet crusader" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Raising Children in a Digital Age: Enjoying The Best And Avoiding The Worst
Raising Children in a Digital Age: Enjoying The Best And Avoiding The Worst
by Bex Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to read, 8 Mar 2014
I have a 14 year old daughter and wanted to understand more about the technology that is part of her life. I found this book very easy to read and I learned a lot. When my daughter saw me reading it she said "Why do you need that book, that's just stupid" then she picked it up and started reading it herself and soon changed her mind. Her verdict was " This is really interesting mum, and she's right you know, the woman who wrote this, I think she knows what she's talking about" Hight praise from my teenager!

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
Every single recipe I have made from this book has been delicious and easy to follow. The green pancakes with chilli and lime butter are so good I have made them over and over again. I have been looking for a book of vegetarian recipes for years and bought this one without even knowing it had no meat or fish recipes. I love the complexity of the flavours combined with simplicity of execution. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 26 Jan 2012
I so wanted to like this book. Having read some of the less than favourable reviews I persuaded myself that I wouldn't be as bad as all that and bought it anyway. I love Jane Austen and hoped I'd love this book but it's just too dull. It's just... nothing. I enjoyed the first few chapters as they had a flavour of the original but it didn't last. Sadly only Jane Austen can write a really good Austen book.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 26 Jan 2012
We have one vegetarian in a family of meat lovers and so I thought this book would be perfect. Sadly I found the dishes uninspiring and somewhat predictable. If you are looking for fresh, new ideas, then I'm not sure this is the best buy.

The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and interesting, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Psychopath Test (Hardcover)
This book as was an enjoyable and easy, thought provoking read. Has left me with lots of questions about mental illness and how we define and categorise it.

The Diet Delusion
The Diet Delusion
by Gary Taubes

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinaing, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
This book is simply a must. Intelligent, well written, supported by evidence. If you are really interested in good health and sustainable weight loss, read this book. Taubes doesn't address some of the psychological reasons for overeating but there are others doing that, he doesn't need to do it all. I have experimented with his ideas and for me, the work.

Ladurée: Sucré: The Recipes
Ladurée: Sucré: The Recipes
by Phillipe Andrieu

4.0 out of 5 stars A picture book!, 27 July 2011
I don't think I'll actually ever make any of the wonderful confections in this book (except perhaps the ice cream) but I love leafing through it and imagining I will! It's such a beautiful little book - a perfect gift for a cookery book collector.

TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
Offered by TECKNET

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work!, 27 July 2011
This just didn't work. Maybe because we are in London and it seems to rely on a clear radio frequency and there are none where we live! If you live in the middle of nowhere it may be OK but certainly no good for anyone who lives in a city. What a waste of money.

Gaggia RI9101/08 Gelatiera Ice Cream Maker
Gaggia RI9101/08 Gelatiera Ice Cream Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 27 July 2011
This machine is solid, easy to use and makes the most amazing ice cream. So far I have made straciatella, vanilla (with eggs), strawberry (without eggs), honey and ginger and limoncello! Every single one was deliciously creamy and smooth! Quite incredible that in about 30 mins (sometimes less) you can have a perfect home-made ice cream. It is a tad noisy, but as it doesn't have to be on for long, that's not really an issue. It's not small but I'm not complaining, it does the job. I went and had a look at the Cuisinart and Kenwood alternatives before I bought this one and in comparison they looked less robust, more fiddly to clean and more fragile. I can highly recommend this machine. As you've guessed, I'm very happy with it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 5:31 PM BST

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman
by Caitlin Moran

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Paperback)
I read this book in less than two days, couldn't put it down. Not just because it was hilariously funny. Not sure about the feminism but it's a great memoir.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6