Profile for Sophie Boss > Reviews

Content by Sophie Boss

Sophie Boss "The anti-diet crusader" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Plenty More
Plenty More
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Plenty..., 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Plenty More (Hardcover)
Cooking for a vegetarian family was really dull for me (as a meat eater) until Ottolenghi's Plenty. I have cooked almost every recipe from that book and have already made two from this new one and they were delicious. I think he is a genius with flavours and once I got used to working with a long list of herbs and spices, I find his recipes easy and very doable. I made the lentils with cumin and tahini for lunch today in just under 30 mins - less time than it takes to heat up a ready meal in the oven! The recipes in this book as as exciting as the last, very inviting. Thanks Yottam Ottolenghi!

Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease
Manufacturing Depression: The Secret History of a Modern Disease
by Gary Greenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, engaging and well written, 25 Aug. 2014
It's such a pleasure to read a well written, engaging book by a credible author. I found this book very interesting, though provoking and entertaining. The author raises important questions and I like that he doesn't come up with simplistic solutions.

Raising Children in a Digital Age: Enjoying The Best And Avoiding The Worst
Raising Children in a Digital Age: Enjoying The Best And Avoiding The Worst
by Bex Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to read, 8 Mar. 2014
I have a 14 year old daughter and wanted to understand more about the technology that is part of her life. I found this book very easy to read and I learned a lot. When my daughter saw me reading it she said "Why do you need that book, that's just stupid" then she picked it up and started reading it herself and soon changed her mind. Her verdict was " This is really interesting mum, and she's right you know, the woman who wrote this, I think she knows what she's talking about" Hight praise from my teenager!

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
Every single recipe I have made from this book has been delicious and easy to follow. The green pancakes with chilli and lime butter are so good I have made them over and over again. I have been looking for a book of vegetarian recipes for years and bought this one without even knowing it had no meat or fish recipes. I love the complexity of the flavours combined with simplicity of execution. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley
by P. D. James

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 26 Jan. 2012
I so wanted to like this book. Having read some of the less than favourable reviews I persuaded myself that I wouldn't be as bad as all that and bought it anyway. I love Jane Austen and hoped I'd love this book but it's just too dull. It's just... nothing. I enjoyed the first few chapters as they had a flavour of the original but it didn't last. Sadly only Jane Austen can write a really good Austen book.

River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day)
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 26 Jan. 2012
We have one vegetarian in a family of meat lovers and so I thought this book would be perfect. Sadly I found the dishes uninspiring and somewhat predictable. If you are looking for fresh, new ideas, then I'm not sure this is the best buy.

The Psychopath Test
The Psychopath Test
by Jon Ronson

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and interesting, 26 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Psychopath Test (Hardcover)
This book as was an enjoyable and easy, thought provoking read. Has left me with lots of questions about mental illness and how we define and categorise it.

The Diet Delusion
The Diet Delusion
by Gary Taubes

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinaing, 25 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Diet Delusion (Paperback)
This book is simply a must. Intelligent, well written, supported by evidence. If you are really interested in good health and sustainable weight loss, read this book. Taubes doesn't address some of the psychological reasons for overeating but there are others doing that, he doesn't need to do it all. I have experimented with his ideas and for me, the work.

Ladurée: Sucré: The Recipes
Ladurée: Sucré: The Recipes
by Phillipe Andrieu

4.0 out of 5 stars A picture book!, 27 July 2011
I don't think I'll actually ever make any of the wonderful confections in this book (except perhaps the ice cream) but I love leafing through it and imagining I will! It's such a beautiful little book - a perfect gift for a cookery book collector.

TeckNet® MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G, iPhone 4GS and other iPod Players
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work!, 27 July 2011
This just didn't work. Maybe because we are in London and it seems to rely on a clear radio frequency and there are none where we live! If you live in the middle of nowhere it may be OK but certainly no good for anyone who lives in a city. What a waste of money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6